Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

What have you learned?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.759 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,772 Members

Please welcome our newest members: A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151

Rebuilding Self Esteem

10 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sadie,

Alachol lifted me out of my depressed mental state and I got "happy time".  I always put my depressed mood afterwards down to the drink hangover.  However when I started laying off the drink I noticed that I still remained melancholy.

I once heard a sober alcholic saying that giving up the drink was 5% of his battle, dealing with life when sober was the rest.

One thing is for sure, if we struggel with life, drinking will make it worse.  As I learn to deal with my addiction I find more of my time has to be spent managing myself mentally.  Nothing is ever straight forward and the goal posts shift as we progress.

You are progressing, two weeks sober is great, keep on going.

Take care and have a great day.

Rob
10 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The struggle with self-esteem, or perhaps more so my self worth, has been consuming my thoughts for years now. I know it is directly related to my drinking. My family and friends have always been supportive of me and I receive positive messages all around. I am the problem! I have only recently accepted the idea that I am addicted to alcohol and that is why it has such a hold on me and my lack of healthy decision making of late. So, for many years, I have blamed myself for being undisciplined and apathetic to making better choices about drinking. And it is a habit that I am having trouble shaking. Too often, I think about how much easier it would be if I were not here anymore. Problem solved.
This, of course, is the easy way out, leaving only pain behind for my loved ones.
I am very successful in my career, I have a wonderful family and group of friends...I am so very blessed, so why to I continue to botch it up?? I am happy and alive at work. But, when I am alone, I am miserable. I have been struggling with depression, and though not nearly as severe as a few years ago, it still lingers.
Well, it has been two weeks since my last drink. Weekends are my trouble spot. I keep trying. One day at a time.

10 years ago 0 11222 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Has an illness, addiction or other left your self-esteem in the gutter? In the weeks to come, we will be exploring various strategies to help rebuild your self-esteem:

What is self-esteem?
The level of self-esteem you have is gained via reactions important people have had to you throughout your life. Starting off with your parents, it is further shaped by your siblings, superiors, friends and significant others. One primary factor in the development of self-esteem involved the positive or negative reinforcement or messages you receive from these people.

Before we can begin rebuilding, we encourage you to take make a list of the people in your life who have played an important role in your life. Were they supportive or negative forces in your life? What did they do for your self-esteem?

Reading this thread: