Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Deciding when moderation doesn?t work.

10 years ago 0 409 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Actually, I probably won't drink either....maybe I'll wait until my 100th birthday. I love this site. I've been enjoying all the posts on the "Introduce Yourself" threads. Such a positive group of people...
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Turquoise, let's all get together when you're 96 and have a major party!  I might not drink though!  John
Funny, but giving myself permission to drink when I make it to 96 years old took a lot of the pressure off! I've had a great day, looking forward to a wine-free evening out to dinner with my husband. My 9yo son just finished reading the first Harry Potter, and it's been great fun watching him get completely engrossed in the story. Yay, J.K.! 

You know, reading is a great distraction from these cravings (and not just alcohol self-help reading). I've been wanting to read Tolkien again, and learn something about real heroes. Or maybe I'll just read Harry Potter again.
10 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Turquoise and Dave, me too!  The rest of my life is (optimistically) a long time too!  Please don't give in Turquoise.  Just get through your birthday and let the rest of your life take care of herself.   And then get through the next day, and the next day and so on.  

Dave, what is AVRT?

John
October, 2058, check. It's on the calendar, just in case I forget. Really.
10 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Turquoise,

I can relate. Mine is coming up too and I'll be at an event on holidays where gourmet food and an open bar are part of the tickets! For 2 days! Step back from the voice and shut it up. AVRT works well for that. Regarding the "rest of my life..." We always assume (and rightfully so) that will be  A LONG TIME and it's almost impossible to put into perspective. Maybe give yourself permission to drink in October 2058? Then put it out of your mind.

Best regards,

Dave
My birthday is coming up next week, and I keep obsessing about just one glass of wine. Just for that day. I am getting close to three months now, and today I've gone through the depressing "for the rest of my life?" dialogue several times. Ugh.
ElizabethRRRR it is great to hear from you. Glad you are drinking less, but that stinks about work. My sister and also one of my best friends are teachers (at a community college) and both of them love the teaching but talk about the "peripheral crap" just like you. I wonder why it has to be that way?

My husband is temporarily out of a job - and a paycheck - because he works for the U.S. Federal government, which has been shut down by a handful of morons. Stress level around here is definitely up....
10 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go Lisadawn on 18 days!  You're doing great and I'm sure you're feeling better each day.  I've been sticking to my abstinence through the week and moderating on the weekends.  I'm feeling really good.  My first week of abstaining was a difficult one, I couldn't wait to get to Friday so I could have a glass of wine.  The next week was much easier and this week is a breeze.  I'm not obsessing about Friday and I'm thinking if I have wine great, if not, no big deal.  My attitude has changed a lot in the last couple weeks, I realize I'm not going to crack if I don't have a drink.  life is better sober.  I love marking zeros in my diary and I am happy that I'm able to have wine without drinking an entire bottle.  

ElizabethRRRR keep up the good work, it gets better and easier.  I'm glad to see you're still checking in.  

10 years ago 0 161 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LisaDawn, I have been drinking less this week and I am more anxious and angry at work (not with the teaching but with all the peripheral crap). I am sure that will get better.

Reading this thread: