Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

New Day

13 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there,

Thanks for your response, it has been a tough 2 days but I think this time I might actually be able to kick the habit I hope!  This site has been amazing and it has really helped to know that there are so many of us out there with the same problem and having the support.  It is very difficult to talk with friends, etc., who do not understand why a person can't stop drinking and how it can overpower their life.  I feel very alone at times and mad at myself for allowing this to happen, but I know I can't punish myself for the things I have said/done, I have to move on and try to be true to myself and others. 
13 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Anne
Nice to have you on this wonderful helping ACH site. I too have the problem of not being able to stop once I get on a roll and do  not remember what I have done, who I talked to or emailed. It is amazing how we can function while so intoxicated. AA is not for everyone. As Runner said, this is anonymous and you can post and reply when you want. The diary is great and start a blog just for your own thoughts. Keep posting.

Hi Helena,

I was attending AA meetings wasn't really working for me, that is when I decided to go online to this website Sunday.  I have good days where I can sustain from drinking then there are the days when I think back to the bad things that happened when I want to drink so I don't have to deal with it.  Although I am discovering that isn't the answer.  I would like to start up My Diary so I can enter my thoughts and accomplishments for each day. 
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anne,

Welcome to the forums. We're glad you're here.

So you've reached a point in your life, where you want to quit drinking. What techniques have you  been using to not drink? What has been working, and what has not?

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anne,
That was Great !!! Glad to meet you, and glad to lend a hand of support.  I don't think any of us can pinpoint when things started to get out of hand with drinking, and so many of us don't remember anything except realizing we have a problem.  That's where the rebuilding begins, and the past stops.  Many effects of this problem cannot be repaired, as you said, but many can be salvaged; if we take small steps to start.  You have taken those small steps ........ and you seemingly want to make yourself better.  Congratulations on facing this problem head-on.
Try using the "My Diary" section and begin posting "zeros" in the daily drink chart - it's a way of feeling good and rewarding yourself, and I find a general way to say "YES !!! I Did It Another Day"
Good luck Anne,
Hang tough - you can do it !!!!

Hi Runner,

Like alot of people I have had a long time drinking problem, not sure even when it began.  The trouble with my drinking is I  alot of the time I don't remember anything.  I have always known the problem was there, but was never ready to put that wine bottle down not matter what harm it did.  Well I still have my friends and family but the one big loss was it broke my marriage up and unfortunately as everyone knows you can't go back in time and change what harm I've done.  So I guess for me right now is trying to stay focused and not drink and come to terms with myself, and some how try to forgive myself but right now it is pretty hard to that.  I have tried AA and it really isn't for me, but it is good to talk to you and others you understand.  Chin up!
13 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anne, Hi - you've got a great group here active in the posts and blogs; jump in and get comfortable.  It's simple because here we are anonymous, where it is easier to tell others EXACTLY what the truth is, and get feedback.  Nothing to hide from except if you decide to hide from yourself; (but don't make that mistake).
Share with us when you feel the time is right what has been happening, and what you hope to achieve - it actually helps quite a bit to force yourself to write it, and think about it, and comprehend it.....
Then start a blog on your page, and keep yourself grounded everyday, or every few days by having to post what you have accomplished, or how you will move forward.  It has sooo made the difference for me :)
But as my new friends replied to you - the first step to find this site was the biggest - now let it work and help you.
Sorry, but I have to say this:
trust in yourself and believe in yourself and progress will find you :)
runner
Hi and thanks for the kinds words, it has been a very tough road and I know it won't be an easy one!  I just have to keep the faith.
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Anne... you have come to the right place.  I've not found any site online to be more welcoming and accepting.  I look forward to your input.
13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Anne,

I have found the AHC to be a tremendous support.  I hope that you will too.  Congratulations on taking an important step.  You can do this!

Reading this thread: