Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

cold turkey!

13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WooHoo! So glad to see your post JoDee - I wondered how that night out went???  I wasn't worried about you tho; I knew you could do it!  I totally join in the Congrats; Great job keeping the Quit!  YW on the one month post - I thought it may be a l'il treat for U when U logged on next  You well deserve it! And see how many agree?   
Of course you know it goes both ways - You'd be surprised how many X I leaned on you & Rox (our sweet Shy One), since the beginning of this Quit - my hubby knows U both (and Aloha too) on a first name basis; the sugar shack will never be the same again!  (Now it's smoke free & it's way better!)  So Thank You too Quit Sistahs! <3  Eya
13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You Go, JD!!  Great job!  Thanks for inspiring all of us to keep on keeping on.
peteg
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good work, JoDee, on your successful night out with temptation. It's great to hear that being accountable is reinforcing your motivation and strength. That is a great tool and you get so much positive feedback as well!

Stay strong.

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,474.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 13

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eya, I made it on my night out.  It was the toughest temptation so far because I was with my two smoking buds.  I made it and I am not looking back.  I was so glad to see you on the stats parade today.  Yay for you.  I can not tell you how special you made me feel when you recognized my one month.  Thanks for your support, it really made a difference to me.  I know I don't want to come here and tell you and Roxie I failed.  Kepp up the great work lovely ladies, I appreciate you!
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JoDee, I hope you're having a blast out there. I tried to post this list before you went out that I used to use when I went out, but I lost it, then had to do other stuff. Life! Sheesh..always wanting to make me be a grown up. Anyway, it's posted now and maybe it'll help you or others . I used to refer to it as my In Emergency, Break Glass piece of paper.

Roxie, that is so right about Me time. If you think about it, it takes about 5-7 minutes to smoke a cigarette, and if you multiply that times the number of cigs you smoked a day you'll be amazed. For me it added up to between 3 and 4 hours per day!!! Granted, sometimes I was doing other things, but sheesh...doesn't that seem like a big fat waste of time? So you definitely deserve some Me time, doing whatever the heck you feel like doing. Let us know how you're treating yourself, okay?

-aloha 
13 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey hey hey quit sistahs, vets and rookies! :) Happy St. Paddy's Day!

I'm still around. No slips. And still no casualties!

I see that I'm coming back to many wise words.

JoDee, I'm so happy that you made it through this recent change in your family. I like the "Don't add to overall stress by going through the stress of quitting again." You gotta tell us all about barhopping & Lady Gaga! I've seen some of her live performances on YouTube. She's a powerhouse!

eya, I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. But I'm really glad that you're sticking with it!!! And I bet you look great and edgy with those new highlights. :) I'm still blond. I've been anxious, too. But I took your advice on the exercise and it helps SOOO much! And it's sustainable because I don't wear myself out.

Like you said, Aloha, I've had days recently when I've been calm and happy. This is very odd, because this is exactly the state I would normally attempt to achieve by smoking...and now my body is doing it naturally. I'm confused, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Also, even though I initially felt like I lost 25 IQ points, I seem to be growing back some brain cells lately. I'm having hours of crystal clarity. Unfortunately, for now, it's interspersed with many MORE hours of anxious boredom. :(

I think that, when I quit, I forgot to replace the "me time" I would get from smoking. Taking deep breaths into my belly and following them with a top-off at chest level--at regular intervals throughout the day--was part of my routine. So was taking a couple of minutes for myself. For some reason, I'm thinking of an TV advertisement for chocolate with a tagline, "My moment...my Dove." This girl sneaks into a covered doorway to have a piece of candy. I'm going to try to do more of that...to pencil myself MUCH more frequently into my own schedule and then see how I feel in a couple of weeks. I'll set an alarm if I have to that would remind me: "Hey Rox, it's 11:30. It's YouTime." I'm gonna let you guys know how it works out. :)

lose the smoke but not the fire! I love that, eya!!!

--Rox
Thanx for looking for that thread Aloha- you're right of course!  A good laugh always cures what ales ya, which BTW is my fave amber liquid of choice - no wonder I was packin' on the lbs!  Grrr!
JoDee; So glad you checked in. I was getting worried that our '11 Newbie Quit group was dwindling down to just me!  That would sooo suck!  I'm glad you broke up with that 2 timer junkie 'Nic'! See what he's up to with your step daughter? - trying to set up a sneaky little 3Way! Wouldn't he just love that! Looks like we not only have to ignore our own junkie, we have to deflect everyone else's too! Glad you have a plan for today! Just remember to lose the smoke;not the fire Sistah!  
Roxie: If you wander by here, please do check in! Even if you have slipped, not slipped or dyed your hair purple or green for St Patty's Day; doesn't matter!  You've stolen our <3s either way! Hope everyone has a great St Patty's Day! Welcome Newbies!    
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
eya, i tried to find one of the funniest threads ever about being addicted to this site, but couldn't find it : (  Like you said, better to be addicted to this than smoking. It will pass!

JoDee, when I was about 5-6 weeks quit I spent 10 days with a smoking buddy, including 4 days in New Orleans. I kept a list of why I wanted to be quit in my purse or pocket and made her promise ahead of time that no matter what I said she wouldn't give me one. And, I did ask! But she refused, I read my list, and got through it.
Enjoy St Paddy's day, but don't smoke. Why? Cause you're not a smoker any more, that's why! 
13 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Sistah eya, you are having a bad week.  Don't cave, don't cave.  How easy is that to say.  My step daughter called me at work she has been semi quit meaning wearing a patch and sneaking when around the fam, enough of us smoke that is easy to do. Anyway, she called me and wanted me to sneak a smoke with her during the day, she was stressing.  I said no, no, no.  I don't want to go through the pain of the quit again.  Also, for me, when I was enjoying the smoke, I had the constant stress of trying not to smell when I went into the office, stress when I couldn't get away to smoke, stressing because  what if I was making myself sick, stressing because I know my son hated it, and would he want me to babysit his baby.

I am sad that you are still experiencing so much anxiety.  I hope that subsides.  I have noticed that has subsided for me.  I have a big day tomorrow because I am going out for St Patty's with my smoking buddy.  I haven't caved, but we are going to bar hopping all afternoon, then Lady GaGa, so I need to keep my wits about me.  I cna't let the mentality of oh it is a special day nicodemon slip in.  NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!
Thanks Aloha - Oh my smoking bud is very real; she's my sister who I've smoked with forever; we've used smoking to get through our good  & bad X over many years.  She doesn't live near me but we share smokes over the phone. We'll both try to quit and then bail - over & over! So the advice was verbatim! "It's okay to have a smoke . ."  My hubby is also a BI - I love him dearly, but he isn't willing to quit (yet!)   So I have to stay on him to keep the sugar shack smoke free - he'll light up as soon as a friend comes over unless I 'hover'- then they'll go outside.  My neurotransmitters are getting some work out, I guess! I'm afraid of chantix (getting addicted to that too!) so didn't try it. So my CT entailed bawling for weeks - then overly anxious - then slow thought processes - then easily distracted! I have hated it very much!  So NO CAVE; I can't do this again and waste what I've accomplished.  I know my brain is coming along; I hardly cry anymore. I love breathing! My non smoking teen boys are proud of me! I look so forward to being where you are! Calm and happy OMG!  How wonderful to look fwd to that!  BTW; it's funny; I've told my smokin' buds about SSC - and got accused of getting addicted to HERE!  So true too . . . but is much saner than being addicted to nicotine!  And have learned sooooo much . . . .  Thx again for sharing your insights - I appreciate it very much.  Eya

Reading this thread: