Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

I'm New Here and want to introduce myself

18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there. My name is Melissa, I am 25 years old and have been smoking since I was 14. I set my quit date for June 24th and have been taking Smokers Rescue (the herbal supplement) to quit smoking. So far, it REALLY has helped with the PHYSICAL withdrawls. I also take xanax for my panic disorder so I think the two combined have kept me calm. As for quitting smoking, I have yet to actually do so. I have been on the program for 6 days and now the MENTAL withdrawls are getting me. The first and second day, I smoked 5 cigarettes (as appossed to my usual 25-30), 4 on the third and fourth day, EIGHT yesterday and 4 (so far) today. I just smoked a cigarette and when I put it out, I said, THIS IS IT!!!! LAST ONE!!! But I have said that to ALL the cigarettes I have smoked so far while I am SUPPOSED to be quitting. I just feel I have no will power, no self-control. I am SOOOOOOOOOO determined to quit but can't seem to grasp the power in myself to do so. ESPECIALLY at work. I work 10 hour days and EVERYONE here smokes.. its driving me crazy! I don't know what else to do but KEEP TRYING, my husband is quitting also and is having just as hard a time as me... ANY advice on how to get rid of these "few cigarettes a day" would be greatly appreciated. I just can't seem to help myself! So, i looked at my watch when I put that last one out and I said, it's 12:30, if I don't smoke another cigarette by 12:30 tomorrow, thats 24 hours, then do it again. Thats another 24 hours, so on and so forth.. thats pretty much the way I am going to try to head right now. PLEASE wish me luck, and ANY advice would be great!!! :quest:
18 years ago 0 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
moz 1959 welcometo the site of the most fantastic, honest and lovely set of people in our lives at the moment. Keep posting and keep strong. This is the place to come constantly. My 3rd day over - feel good! Jacko uk [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
18 years ago 0 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jerlasvegas no way man- have u read my GYM thread on the weight gain posts...?? Also, my new bank account have �45-00 in it....3 days at 3 packs a day = �15 x 3 = �45. To expensive in the Uk. Gonna take a trip of a lifetime when I get �2k in the bank. Cheers Jacko Just of to the Gym. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 154 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Read, Read, Read is my advice. I have been brain washed over the last 26 years thinking smoking relaxes me, it makes me feel better, etc and etc. I bought 3 cd and about 5 books on stopping. I put a comprehensive plan together on how to cope, what my triggers would be, how I would respond. I was always on the internet educating myself. My husband was always making fun of me because I would read these books while smoking! But I knew I needed to un-brainwash myself and change my stinking thinking. The best book I read of all of them was Allen Car's the easy way to stop smoking. You can do this Melissa, pick a date and run with it. Navigator. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 273 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi mellissa good for you on wanting to quit . first get rid of everything that has anything to do with smoking and clean clean clean you will feel so much better than read as much as you can about the affects of smoking because this knowlegde will help and if you can talk to your dr about your options for med and or therapy and of course visit here ofton and remember you are strong and with that in mind you can do it [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 224 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Melissa Its tough to be around other smokers for 10 hours a day. I really feel for you with that one. This is going to take a very strong mental attitude on your part. First of all you have to really WANT to quit smoking. I mean really want to, because it takes effort to quit smoking (pretty much) Secondly, you started smoking at age 14, I presume that you have never quit before? I started smoking at 15. I found that my head did not know what to do, all my adult life I had been a smoker, the only time I was not a smoker was when I was a child pretty much. I did quit ONCE for three months - it was weird, because i hadnt felt like that since i was a child. So that was odd. This time, I really had thought about giving up smoking i read and read.I found the Allen Carr Easy way to quit smoking book really helped. A lot of it is mind tricks, you mind WILL play tricks on you, reading ahead gives you power and helps you to beat it and stay ahead of the game. For years you have taken deep breaths in, and out, inhaling exhaling smoke... that can be rythmic and in a way relaxing. I found deep breathing techniques really helped with this, and to be honest that got me through some bad cravings. When you stop smoking DO NOT TAKE ONE PUFF EVER again!! Just put it off, if you are having a bad time, then think tomorrow will be a better day, most likely it will. Get rid of all cigarettes, if you dont start with this attitude, most likely you wont carry on with your quit, as you will be longing for the cigarette. If you havent yet stopped smoking, I recommend that when you smoke, take notice of the cigarette as it burns down, look at the brown imagine the tar in your lungs... watching it burn...imagine the money burning away.These are the images that will help you in your quit later down the line. You need to see the cigarette as it really is.. see the negative, and dont give it power... you really can do it!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 441 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �127.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
moz1959, I would tell you to do the work you find on this site, and stay in touch here. Maybe you and your husband could do it together and both of you register. There are a lot of couples here that quit together. There is no easy way unfortunatly, and you should be prepared for battle. Read everything on this site and read peoples past post. We will be here for you and the wonderfull thing is, you can also be there for other people. It really makes it hard to smoke when you are on here telling other people not to. So anyways, I hope to see you here! Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 462 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $62.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$75,028.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6531 Hours: 22

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moz1959, Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on deciding to kick the habit! Ok first things first; prepare for your quit using the program. Quitting smoking is not only a habit, it's an addiction. This program is going to help you plan how to deal with cravings and more importantly teach you how to replace this old habit with a new one. You'll also need to put into place a reward system. It should have three components: small one for after each craving, medium for the end of each smoke-free day and a bigger one for the end of each smoke-free week. Start reading through the forums, you'll quickly realize that many have felt just as you do now and they are now non-smokers. Set a quit date and stick to it, cut down and keep prepping until then. You'll also be able to find a lot of tips and tricks to help you along the way. Good luck & check back soon, Danielle ____________________________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Melissa you can also find strength and direction in the HALL OF FAME stories under SSC Community. I just read one and it was very powerful!!! These are people who have had it pretty rough and persevered. (Some have even come back from the brink of death.) Good Luck!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 133 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
18 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Luck Melissa! Ditto to everything everyone else has said. In AA, we have a saying that alcoholism is 10% drinking, 90% thinking. Its the same with this. The preparation is to keep coming back and working your quit program (to the left), posting, and reading. Come back and post through the good, bad, and the ugly. When you want to stay quit more than you want to have a cig, things will fall into place. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 131 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2

Reading this thread: