Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,801 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO

Can't Decide - Patch or Cold Turkey Maybe Zyban? Help?

18 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think maybe that is because each quit is different me. I have used all three I hated patches NRT Felt that cold turkey was the best and most affective Am currently using Zyban, it does the job but there are definate side effects. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 192 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi meagan, I have tried the patch I felt like I was still smoking and when I came off the patch I started to smoke again. Then I went to wellbutren but had a major reaction to it (not everyone can take it) that was my 2nd fail @ not smoking. This time I went cold turkey and seem to be doing much better, maybe because this time I have no intensions of ever smoking again. What ever works for you is the important thing just keep thinking NOPE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 255 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
meagain, I tryed cold turkey and couldn't hack it so I slapped a patch on. If you are unsure, you can always change it. It's not nessisarily a permenant decision. You ARE allowed to change your mind, just not to smoking. Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$75,032.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6532 Hours: 5

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
no problem ... just tryin' to help ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,230 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$54,568.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 9

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]I'm looking for anyone who's tried both with the patch and cold turkey who smoked around 1-1.5 packs per day.[/quote] That would be me. I used the patch ... it drew out the withdrawal process as far as I was concerned. I was on the 21mg patch. One day I put the 14mg patch on by mistake. I started to withdraw again like I did when I went from smoking to no smoking with the 21mg patch on. BUT ... wearing the 21mg patch did help me overcome my fear of quitting. Once the fear of quitting was gone ... I had no problem ripping the patch off and going through the withdrawal. At that point I was ready to face my addiction head on. Please remember that even though we are all addicted to the same drug ... our quits can and are all quite different. Only you will know what is right for you. Maybe you need something to aid you in getting over your fear, maybe you need to use an NRT as long as possible, maybe you would feel comfortable going cold turkey ... only you can make this decision. But whatever decision you make ... remember you have great support backing you up. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,223 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $160 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$54,568.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 9

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tried quitting about a month ago with the patch. I kept cigs around and had a couple each day. I'm wondering if the patch isn't good for me. Thinking perhaps it made me feel like I was smoking a cigarette, but I didn't 'have' the cig so I wanted one? Or my body was confused by feeling it smoked but I didn't? I'm looking for anyone who's tried both with the patch and cold turkey who smoked around 1-1.5 packs per day. Basically, I'm wondering how you all quit. Oh, I bought and have been reading that Carr book also. I plan to quit tomorrow. I have 3 cigs left and am smoking myself sick right now. Ewww. I just don't know if I should use the patches or just plain quit. I also have Wellbutrin/Zyban here. Does anyone think the patches just draw out the unpleasantness? Or actually made it worse than CT? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$255,791.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6431 Hours: 13

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

BF - I know we're all different. I'm not really asking which method I should choose, just wanted to know how everyone quit and how the different methods worked for them. Right now, I'm thinking the patch isn't a good idea for me. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$255,791.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

One thing about this forum... I'm surprised no one ever talks about 'how' they quit. No one seems to talk about it much or indicate what method they used during discussions. M - Thanks for your response as to how you quit. So far CT isn't going well but I know none of the methods would be. I'm trying hard to not get in the car. It's only been 3 hours. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$255,791.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 385 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me, I went into full detail on another thread that you posted about HOW I quit. I started with patch, hated it, and took it off after 3 days. Then I went cold turkey. I decided cold turkey is the best way to do it. You can do it !!! It does not matter how (w NRT or without), just do it ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 753 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $129.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$45,019.26

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5164 Hours: 6

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The patch can raise blood pressure so be aware of that... I Quit cold turkey, got rid of all cigs. And just stopped smoking... If you have cigarettes around, you will end up smoking them. Period. Be careful playing around with your Quit. When you do Quit, get rid of them... Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,831 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $506.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43

Reading this thread: