Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Disappointed....just need to vent is all

18 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Am proud of you Kim, way to go!!! Good that you have the support and that you are learning to deal with situations rather than smoke. That really is progress. Keep going each time you do it, you will get stronger. How would you feel now, if your husband would have said yeah lets get a pack of cigarettes? You would be back to square one if and when you wanted to quit. So well done you! Another day, another acheivement
18 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there, You don't say whether she's ever smoked or is still a smoker? If she's never smoked she really can't give advice on withdrawal If she stopped herself then she must have forgotten the process or never understood the chemical addiction. If she's still smoking then she will probably be feeling threatened by your quit. You remember what it was like when someone from your smoking "team" went to the other side! You're probably frightening her. Read any scientific journal, it takes 10 - 15 days for your brain to re-wire itself so that it produces dopamine at levels needed. You're still short on receptors so it WILL take time for you to feel completely normal. You also have to deal with the memory of smoking and/or triggers. I have had some issues with my smoking friends because I've had to see alot less of them. I explained just how important this is to me, in plain english - I offered to do other stuff, breakfasts and go to the markets etc etc instead as it has meant alcohol nights out, only a wine or two with my non-smoking husband while I get used to the feeling of alcohol without cigarettes, it's a huge trigger for me and the reason for every relapse I have EVER had. If she doesn't smoke, ask her to read some of the information on nicotine addiction so that she understands this isn't hocus pocus it is a real chemical addiction! Afterall, why else would anyone smoke??????? She's believing the same rubbish we did for years about how we enjoyed it. You should definitely be supporting your husband on this one and every other one and vice versa. Chicken L [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 568 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $473 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My first week, my 16 year old and I had a fight and that is really tough. Yes, it does make you want to smoke bad. But here is what I am trying to remember. I don't like fighting with her when I'm smoking either. Smoking doesn't really help, that's just a lie of the nicodemon that it helps. I don't like all that confrontation no matter what. If I was shooting up heroin, drunk, stoned and on a IV drug I still wouldn't like it. There is nothing that would make me enjoy those horrible teenage fits, nothing, including cigarettes. So why ruin my quit over her? Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 215 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$75,028.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6531 Hours: 22

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Right on Zany, you typed the words right out of my mouth. Another thing to consider Cheermom is that in the beginning of your quit emotions seem more intense, at least they did for me. I didn't know if I was going to be able to handle it, but I knew I was not going to give up my quit. Sooooooooooo ... I knew I had to learn to handle them. That is what non-smokers do ... they deal with emotions ... they confront their emotions. Early in your quit, you may not be ready for that ... so do just like Zany says: AVOID the situation LEAVE the situation DISTRACT yourself from the craving DELAY taking that cigarette Use SELF TALK Once you know you are more secure in your resolve to not smoke ... you can start tackling these emotions. Also ... I found that once the nicotine was fully out of my system and the longer I was quit ... my thinking was not so 'crazy', my emotions were not so 'intense' anymore. I am feeling much more 'at ease' now, more rational to address emotions. You are doing great Cheermom ... be patient with yourself and your quit. It will not always be this way. Use your coping mechanisms and know we are here for you. And remember ... Smoking IS NOT an option. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 3

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

It gets better ... I promise. [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/hug.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

excuse the typo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,276 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Good for you & yours. Get out there and start enjoying your new smoke free life. And don't worry if it feels awkward at first being out w/o a smoke ... the more you go and do the less awkward and the more fun it will be feel be. Promise! Just keep doing! I am sooo rooting for your success! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,276 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

You are welcome Cheermom. So do you two (you and your friend) feel good about that decision? I think it sounds great. After you are through this ... you'll both be able to look back at it and hug and laugh I bet. Keep on doing what you are doing Cheermom ... I think you are doing great. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,038 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

How you doing Cheermom? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,035 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Yes I went through it and Cobenfan hit the nail on the head with her post. And in a couple of weeks it won't matter. Don't be hard on your friend ... they don't understand fully. When did they have to fight an addiction? I know at the moment it hurts because you want them to understand ... same thing happened to me during my quit with some friends. Sometimes people that have never been an addict just don't get it ... no matter how much you try and explain it to them. Don't be hard on yourself either. Do what you and your hubby need to do to quit and stay quit. True friendships will still be there after you've done what you've needed to do for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,011 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $132 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$54,566.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: