Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Nearly caved in.

14 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Nick, just thought I would stop in an check on ya and see how things are going?????

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -80
Amount Saved: $-16.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -26930

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Nick!!!

I was a totally brain numb for about the first month!  I didn't have a problem doing relatively routine tasks here at work, but when it came to something complex...  UGHHH!!!  It was a real chore and I pretty much told my customers that it may be a month or so before I could get those types of jobs done!!!  Thankfully they understood and didn't put any undue pressure on me!  So, I just did the easy stuff and in between, I was here reading and posting...  keeping distracted!  Then when a big crave hit me I was over walking the stairs and breathing deep!

You will get over this period of having the fuzzy brain, and when you do, you're really going to dig it!  Keep trying to be creative...  you may surprise yourself!!!  Also...  Key word here....  REWARDS!!!  Your brain needs the endorphins that are produced when you reward yourself!!!  Really!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 505
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,625
Amount Saved: $2,083.13
Life Gained:
Days: 85 Hrs: 14 Mins: 27 Seconds: 37

• Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 11

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nick,

You are only on the first month of your quit; your body is going through a lot of changes.  It is normal that you may not be feeling quite yourself.  But don't worry soon you will feel even better then you did before.  Keep up your awesome quit!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
your brain returns to normal NIck......it takes a little time.......
We've all been there and had that let down.......Like Jim said we have to renew our Quit.  

You're doing great buddy....17 days is awesome!!!
Keep on keepin on and kickin ash.........

Keep the Quit
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 177
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,310
Amount Saved: $743.40
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 1 Mins: 29 Seconds: 23

14 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jules do you find quitting affects your creativity. I play guitar and piano, prior to quitting i was on a bit of a roll regards composition. (a lot of musicians experience feast or famine with composition). All of a sudden thats out the window and i can hardly string two notes together. Are you or have you experienced similar with painting?

Also please tell me where i can view some of your work, or please post some pictures. A close friend of mine has a for landscapes has had work featured in galleries. Currently he's painting more surreal stuff. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 17
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 340
Amount Saved: £99.45
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 10 Mins: 36 Seconds: 17

14 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I like Jims advice, in the morning, (or when you wake up, which is usually noon.....for me, hey,,,,I am artist, I usually paint all night........huh???? I have a good excuse)  anyway the advice to tell yourself, just for today.....I am not going to smoke,,,,,,,,,,every time I am around a smoker and I don't give in, I am amazed at myself.  But I think I am going to apply that piece of advice to myself, when I wake up,,I will tell myself that,,,,,,just for today, no matter what I am not going to smoke,,,,,,,,,,there are still some times I have a strong craving,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's probably normal..........I am hoping..........as for taking zyban,,,,,,,,,,,you know when I first started my quit, I tried the gum and patches, they didn't work, but they helped me cut back a lot, so that when I did quit 21 days ago, I was more prepared,,,,,,,,,you can think about quitting like your practicing your getting ready for the big break with the nicodemon.........think of the nicodemon as an ex-girlfriend who has cheated on you, lied to you, and broke your heart,,,and decide once and for all that your not taking her back, okay that's sorta how I did it, I said to myself,,,,,this nicotine addiction is like being with a boyfriend I want to break up with,,,,,,,,,,,breaking up is always hard, no matter who it is,  that's where will power comes in, and a little anger too is helpful,  according to some things I have read, your not supposed to quit with will power, but I don't agree, I think you have to bite the bullet sometimes and that takes will power. (maybe I am wrong on this, and Jim will tell me if I am.)  I am sorry I am rambling but this is about the time, I start pheening.....12 am......and I find myself here at this website writing paragraphs of my thoughts on stuff, and it helps me to work through my addiction too, cuse you see, this is a huge deal for me, a major life change, a major accomplishment, (more important than getting my degree)  I NEVER thought I would be able to quit, and stay quit.  And I love this website cuse I see that there are other people who are going through what I am going through and I don't feel so a lone. I know EXACTLY  what your going through,,,,,cuse I am going through it too!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not a lone.  I am going to tell you something revealing about me here, okay, I am mental,,,,,certified...no kidding, so when I was in my 20s I was in a hospital for being mental, and I wanted a cigarette so bad, that I went off, and they put  me in 5 point restraints,,,,,,now I am not lying to you, the only thing I wanted was a cigarette, they kept me in restraints for 5 hours....there were many times that smoking was the only thing that made me sane.............honestly. But always in the back of my mind I knew I was slowly killing myself, and I knew there was a part of me that was suicidal, and wanted to die, and smoking seemed like a good way to get there. So you can see, that this is a huge deal for me. So I understand why its a huge deal for you too, Nick. To admit that smoking is killing yourself, is the first step toward recovery, your going to go through changes,,,,,,,,,your going to be spacey,  listless,  at the end of your rope,,,,,,,,,,,the only thing I hope for you, is that you realize your not alone, and that its okay to feel messed up for a while, and to still have cravings...........I don't know how long you smoked for, but its a killer addiction.......that is hard to break, but worth it......okay so now I am preaching to you, sorry, keep posting, and know we are with you in spirit. Jules

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 21
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 420
Amount Saved: $136.50
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 1 Mins: 22 Seconds: 3

14 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nick, I am so proud of you for not smoking those cigarette's and I know your daughter is proud of her daddy for keeping his word...Talk to the instructor tomorrow about what your feeling and see if it is normal....Talking to your doctor is a great idea also because some times the medicines make things worse but make sure you ask before you quit so you don't go through withdrawal from that too...Have you ever had depression before in the past? If that isn't to personal to answer...I was wondering because sometimes the depression meds can make things worse, it is a try and see process with those kinds of meds and if you have never had depression or are not having depression than taking that kind of meds will create big trouble because they affect the way the brain works...And I do know there is a depression med in Zyban I have went brain dead at the moment as to which one it is combined with,but any way my point is please go see your doctor just to be on the safe side and they can more than likely help you some way with the stuff your experiencing..But we are definaltly proud of you,even through all this bad stuff your dealing with and the nico-demon trying his hardest you have keep strength enough to keep saying NOPE...Look 16 days behind you and your really doing this no matter what that demon has throwed at you..Be proud of yourself and take it easy...Congrats and keep us posted..We are all here for you when you need us...I am usually around even if I don't log in I am checking the boards at least every 20 minutes or so..Stay strong and keep kicking ASH...

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -120
Amount Saved: $-24.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -39930

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nick,

So good to hear you got rid of those cigarettes! Way to take hold of your quit!

Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow. Good luck!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went and gave the smokes to a friend who's quit a few times before and is helping me through some stuff on a one to one basis. Aint friends great. She pretty much confirmed what Hot Si02 said, "the first couple of weeks are easy cos your excited, you've something to fight against and can get the bit between your teeth". 

Well i've got to control this horrible internal conflict somehow. The cravings are equally as strong today, i've just resigned myself to the idea that 'this is it'. I have my appointment at the smoking cessation clinic tomorrow. I think i'll print my cravings diary and discuss it with the nurse. This level of depression cant be a side effect of quitting it must be enhanced by the zyban or something. I'm going to see about quitting that stuff too.

Thanks all, the advice given is heeded.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 16
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 320
Amount Saved: �93.60
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 8 Mins: 57 Seconds: 10

14 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Nick

I'm giving you a big, big, hug....This is the nico demon trying to do his thing, whispering to you that you will feel better if you cave.......He's lying to you!!!!!!  Kick His Butt
There will be all kinds of temptations and trials.....everyday......but you can get through each day without that cig.  Your body needs time to heal; its a process thats gets better in time.   Reward yourself...do something that makes you feel good.  Drink lots of water and try to stay positive and be amongst those who support you.   Take our hand ... we are right here with you!!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/8/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 75
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 750
Amount Saved: $356.25
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 22 Mins: 27 Seconds: 57

Reading this thread: