Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Bi-polar & not smoking

16 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
it seems there are two effects. as you know stressors trigger episodes and your quit will definitely give you some stress. second effect is the chemical withdrawal from nicotine which can upset our brain-chemistry+meds balance. I definitiely find my bipolar deteriorates during a quit. so I keep close to the shrinks and keep a mood log. I'm on a rispiridone depot but zyprexa has been added to that totally due to the stress of my quit. However now i've quit NRT too all my rocky reaction should be settled at this point. Not trying to frighten you, but keep a mood log and watch yourself for the slightest changes. i keep my mood log and my quit journal in the same notes. elaine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �472.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
16 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Im bipolar too and tommorrow is my quit date. I am going to the doctor to make sure nothing is going to interact with my meds. Does it make you more manic or lulled???? Withdrawls hard? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/11/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
the psych teams have it all wrong, OF COURSE, as usual. we really can and should give up smoking, we just have to be extra delicate with ourselves while we're doing it. way to go , you're doing great 25 days elaine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,300 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �458.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done, SmellFree! Twenty-five days is great. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $573.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smell, Congrats on 25 days! Good for you for pushing forward and keeping the quit :) Josie, Health Educator
16 years ago 0 79 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello to all of you. I started the discussion on bi-polar last weekend & am sooooo glad to see the responce & support you are giving to each other. I'm ok, once again. Next Wed. is my 1 month anniversary of no smoking. It hasn't been easy but I've cut back on my blood pressure meds & that helps. I was way too jittery in the mornings. The doc said my blood pressure would go down & it did. I check it every day. The best part of the day is when I wake up in the morning & that DEEP breath, clear down to my belly. Man, that feels good & pure. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/12/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $215.69 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cabbage, You can disable your pop-up blocker in internet options. Make sure that your security settings are set to medium as well. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Having technical problems with the IM. My pop up blocker seems to be getting in the way. I've turned it off to no avail. oh well, we know that we care about one another's quits and have each other's best interests at heart. The mental health storms will pass and we'll still be smoke free. In the end staying true to ourselves and setting small goals and big rewards is about all we can do. we are Divas and Divas don't smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 543 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,860.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 120 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you so much cabbage, i have tears in my eyes as i'm typing this so touched am I by your concern, and relieved by your understanding. let's get on the instant messenger here so we can chat about this stuff which is a bit off-topic for the people who are simply quitting smoking and might be wondering have they stumbled into a psychiatric support group!we should manage to 'catch' each other online. let me know if you're interested and thanks again. and you, i just met you and already i know you are multiples stronger than you give yourself credit for. Contemplate what you've survived and you'll see I'm right elaine x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/4/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �447.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're doing an awesome job of keeping your quit, and being honest with your support team, and believe me, that's a big deal. Many people don't have the courage to ask questions and state their needs to the professionals. Y'know, the one thing I learned from my quit was that sometimes there is no good reason to do it anymore. All the coping stuff, and self reflecting stuff, and posting, and positive thinking and all the good stuff just didn't matter to me. In those moments I simply had to keep on putting one foot in front of the other and drag myself along completely against my will. Like all things in mother nature and human nature, things would eventually change and usually for the better. Some days just feel like drudgery...while others seem to be enchanted. I'm hoping you'll get a little enchantment soon. *hugs* [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 542 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,840.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20

Reading this thread: