Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Cigarettes gone... next step Coffee??

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greger, That really is not very nice of you. You know that many of us gain weight just reading about your culinary delights. It would be gentlemanly of you to, and I quote another well-known gentleman, "be vewwy vewwy quiet" about those three pounds when you're talking about pies and torts and puddings. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 366 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,488.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I coulda used that little spoonlicker today! One Orange Tort Cake, two Key Lime Pies and a Bakewell Pudding. Capon comes outa the oven in 20 minutes. My first smoke free Easter! And believe it or not I've lost 3 pounds! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 218 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,232 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $915.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 40 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have More Fun! Cook in your Undies! [IMG]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee185/Luv1Another4LuvIsOfGod/IMG026-1.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 365 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,482.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Smart move leaving that stuff behind, Unhooked. If you haven't googled 'diet soda' I would recommend it. "Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight" "Heart Risk for Diet Soda" these are just a couple of the things you will find there. Google aspartame. Here you will find horrible descriptions of the poison and its effects. Now, google coffee. You will find articles by National Geographic, links to worldwide suppliers of gourmet coffee, nothing here espousing the danger of the beverage. finally google caffeine. Here you will find a certain amount of disagreement about whether it is addictive and a recomendation not to give it to children and teens in large amounts. Is it good? is it bad? most people use it in one form or another to no ill effect. Some are more sensitive to it some less. No one seems to call it poison. As we all struggle to overcome the tobacco addiction it's a good idea to look around at the other stuff in our attics to see if other life changes are in order. I think I can forgo any future use of soda. Coffee, tea, juice and water offer enough choices. If I crave something sweet I can just bake a healthy dessert using organic ingredients and unrefined sugar. Remember the fun you had baking cookies with your mom? The magic is still there in the kitchen and if no one else is around you always get to lick the spoon! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 217 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,208 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $911.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, VCC, are you listening? Looks like there might be a market for a quit caffeine support group. If you like it & it isn't affecting your life or health, you shouldn't quit just because it's a smoking trigger. If you don't like it & it is affecting your life or health, of course you should quit. I would have thought that would go without saying. Apparently not. I quit the Diet Coke on my trainer's recommendation & I haven't had any problems. Whaddaya know, something I wasn't addicted to, & someone who isn't addicted to every damn thing they like. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 311 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,220 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,421.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Mitsy if it's so important to you that you be right then by all means stop using caffeine! The American Medical Association tells us that the addiction to caffeine is not an addiction at all except for the headaches caused by cessation. Stop drinking whatever beverage you feel addicted to and deal with a headache for 3 days and it's over. Kaput. Done Deal. If I recall correctly you are a soda drinker, how many grams of sugar in that stuff? Do yourself a favor and quit it it's very fattening anyway and extremely unhealthy. This thread turned into a celebration of life, a celebration of things we love which many of us feel are beneficial and not detrimental to our quits. If Patrick finds delicious substitutions for his earlier beverage choices I salute him and would love to join him for a cup of that tea. Patrick, my friend, you have a great quit going and a fantastic attitude. Do whatever you need to do to protect that quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 216 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,184 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $907.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think that it depends on what you want for yourself - you know? If someone doesn't want to be someone that drinks coffee, or cna't go without a diet dr pepper, then they should quit, but it's up to each of us. It's more than just triggers.. it's all about where you see yourself, and where you want to be. Do you want to be addicted to cafeinne? Does it bother you? if not, then by all mean, don't quit! I've personally been adicted to it since a toddler, and i've never been off of it. i'd like to have the oportunity to meet myself as soemone without an adiction to a stimulant - maybe it will be easier to conrol my anger? Maybe it won't? I have no way of knowing without trying. I really don't know why this discussion turned into something making it a bad thing to give up things in your life that you feel aren't good for you? It's all up to the individual. If John or DL, or myself want to give up caffeine as part of our addictive natures, then what difference does it make? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 612 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 45,900 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11,475.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is simple for me. I was addicted to amphetamines, cocaine and diamorphine for many years. I know what the rush is all about. When I stopped smoking I gave up that rush that I was addicted to. I gave up coffee because I am addicted to caffeine - I love that rush! I drink lemon herb teas into which I drop dates and black pepper and I swill that in the morning while I scan the site and it tastes great.. reminds me of the few happy days I had in Jeddah! I have HBP and so I need to stay away from those things that make the heart pump way too vigourously. Simple.... I'm also losing my desire for the alcohol rush too... this iced water thing I've learned here suits me very well... it's a protean life I'm leading and it feels great! If my taste buds really come back online then I'd like to drink a few glasses of Vosne Romanee with my wife... Patrick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,550 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $697.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is that why some are miserable when quitting � they deprive themselves of more than just cigarettes? While others are happy and bright in their quits because not only have they quit smoking but also they choose to emphasize the things in their life that bring them joy by promoting bigger and better rewards? A kind of double whammy above or below the line depending on which category you fall in. Just a thought. Penitent d1402
  • Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 7

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think that if your set about removing all the triggers that in itself wil remind you of the 'deprivation' you feel for not being 'allowed' a cigarette. You are stopping smoking. Not drinking, eating, living. Each to their own though. Just don't smoke. Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 358 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,728 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1,790.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15

Reading this thread: