Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Gaining Way too much!

17 years ago 0 388 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie, I truly understand. I have gained about 10 pounds and we quit on the same day. I am now at my heaviest weight ever. Including the two times I was pregnant. I had told myself that I must first lose weight before I quit. Well that was not happening. So I just quit. Oh and on the day that I went to get a physical and my chantix, the doctor said good luck with the quit. I hope you can do it and you need to lose weight. What do you think, maybe I need to find a new doctor. Well being the determined big person I am now, I have had a successful quit and I joined a gym. My other addiction is Dr. Pepper. No unfortunately not the diet. Can't handle the artificial sweetners. I am now working on reducing the number of sodas. I could easily have 15 to 18 cans a day. I am cutting down to 3 a day. By summer I will hopefully drink only one every so often. I know some people have told me one battle at a time, but I feel strong and I know if I can quit smoking I can do anything. We all are super people here, we have overcome a strong addiction. Well enough venting and ego on my part. The reason I posted was for two reason. One Katie, we quit on the same day and we can lose weight together as we go. Come on girl we can do this. Also, I wanted to say come on over to the Magic ship. I am now the exercise director. Although it is magic and we all look good in our swim suits. (That is something I have not done in 20 years) we are trying to get healthy. We are starting to post our miles. We want to make a hundered by spring. I would love to see you on the ship. It is open to all. The Captain's only requests are to be a non-smoker, have a positive attitude, and enjoy having fun. Everyone keep up the great quit and the weight will come off. Katie stay in touch and IM if you see me. I would love to do this together. Julie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 887 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Katie, Me too. Quit about the same time, I'm about the same height, weight and build. Today I just felt soooo uncomfortable. Gotta stop this. Will watch this thread. Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 452 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
17 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i also have put on about 7 lbs but part of that was an all inclusive holiday two weeks ago, i was eating for england, bliss. i now have to loose this weight . the way i have controlled the eating prior to the hol was strong mint flavoured chewing gum or very hot cough sweets ,as these burn the mouth the same sensation as the ciggaretts. eat celery that helps also. ok so we have gained a little weight, luckily its winter and we are covered up. dont lets pressure ourselves , relax and plan to eat healthily , don't do without my god we have done so well. make a little deal with ourselves eat a better diet , loads of veg , fruit and salads , but have a little chocolate if we want it ,its good for you anyway and we've earned it . [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,685 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �418.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI KATIE, I AM FEELING SO BLUE. IT HAS BEEN ALMOST FOUR MONTHS AND I HAVE GAINED ALMOST TWENTY POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE SAYS DON'T YOU FEEL BETTER NOT SMOKING AND I SAY HELL NO!!! THE WEIGHT IS KILLING ME. BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP, I WILL NOT SMOKE, I AM HOPING THE TURN AROUND COMES SOON. I HAVE BEEN WALKING FOR THREE WEEKS AND NOTHING...I AM STARTING TO DRINK MORE WATER. IF THERE ARE ANY MORE IDEAS ABOUT GETTING THAT METABOLISM BACK UP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT. LEE LEE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,389 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $565.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The healthy meals will keep you FULL for longer. Sorry 'bout that!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 135 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,084 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $477.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$544,884.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4201 Hours: 18

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dont be so hard on yourself Katie. You are very early into your quit so I think that it should take first priority. You can't deprive your body of too many things at once- even if they ARE damaging- Just be conscious of what you are eating. Before you put it in your mouth ask yourself why you really want it, and if you are hungry you should replace empty fatrty snacks with healthy nourishing meals. They will keep you hungry for longer and prevent your blood sugar level from crashing shortly after intake making you again crave empty sugart snacks to shoot your blood sugar back up again. You need to train your new metabolism like a new puppy- or he'll pee all over the floor!! Just think if it as a project, your weight is never written in stone!! It can be changed, I promise! 15 pounds can be taken and kept off easily, think of your body as a sculpture you are creating. You are in charge; Don't let food- or cigarettes ew- control you. Congratulations- coming up on the big 4-0!! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 135 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,084 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $477.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$544,884.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4201 Hours: 18

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie - Welcome to the crew! I honestly believe that we have to protect our quit at the beginning (which to me mean't accepting some weight gain) Part of my weight gain was due to a change in metabolism, change in appetite and the need/desire for comfort food. After 90 days, I was ready to tackle the weight which has mean't changing my eating habits (lots of fruits and veggies/whole wheat products) and getting lots of exercise. I used to reward and/or comfort myself with nutty buddies....Now (if there are some extra calories left to be had), I have a fruit smoothie (frozen sugar-free fruit, low fat yogurt and 1 % milk or juice - tastes just like a milk shake! I have absolutely no self-control when I am away and I'm still trying to get portion size/calories right but seem to be going in the right direction. You are new in your quit so make sure that is your priority - In the meantime, exercise helps with weight-loss and quitting and it is possible to replace some of our comfort/reward foods with healthier choices. Congrats on 23 days quit and welcome to our gang. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 149 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,995 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $745 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Katie - I remember one terrible week (especially one terrible night) when it all came to a head. I was at a Doctor's office and realized that I had crossed the line from "healthy weight" to "overweight". I had already gone up one size in clothes and THOSE were starting to feel tight. I stopped buying clothes for a "reward" because they didn't fit anymore and I didn't want to look in the mirrors. To top it all off, my good-looking thin friend took me out to a bar (for people who are wanting to meet other people)...I felt fat, ugly and completely out of place. I figured that I was going to be fat and that I was never going to be able to enjoy life again.(Hmmmmmmmmmm...now it seems a little melodramatic) Anyway........the world didn't come to an end. I did have to change my eating habits and exercise abit more but the weight did come back off. I am fitter than I ever was before and now I am working out and losing pre-quitting weight. I honestly don't think I cared a whole lot about diet and exercise before because I figured I was killing myself anyway. Now...it's kind of fun to work at getting back in shape and to keep track of progress. Quitting is soooooooooooooo hard. I honestly don't think there is any possible way that I could have started working on my diet any sooner than I did. (Although I know others do) You are doing a great job....Just take small steps...(Like you said...just drink more water and start increasing exercise) Be proud of your 36 days. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 162 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,258 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $810 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 91 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey all thanks for the great advice and suggestions. I know that you are all right about protecting my quit. Spoke with hubby again last night and he said do not worry about the weight. Lets get thru the end of February and then we can start slowly working on the weight thing. I am going to increase my water intake and try to use sweets as a reward weekly. So for now I will continue to work on the quit for now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 733 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$12,191.78

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6422 Hours: 4

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 91 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have 23 days smokefree to be so proud of. Yet on the other hand I have about 7 extra pounds that I am dragging around since the quit. I informed my husband last night that I can not continue with the weight gain. I remember once in the past, many years ago a quit of 1 year and the increase of 40 pounds. There is no way that I can continue on this path to weight gain. I am at 147lbs today I am short and small built 5'3", little skeleton can't carry alot of extra baggage around. I have really concentrated the last week to increase my water intake with using some of the new flavored bottled waters. But I can't seem to get enough sweets, what is up with that. I have never been a sweet eatter. CHOCOLATE is now my weakness. I am not throwing in the towel of the quitting smoking, but I am looking for a towel big enough to go around my stubby body. I am not a raw vegetables snacker any other ideas. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 708 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $138 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$12,191.78

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6422 Hours: 4

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: