Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

first smoke-free day.

17 years ago 0 650 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is my first day, I am doing it cold turkey. My hubby is on the patch. I am doing good so far, I have been drinking more water to day than I used to drink in a whole week. The thing that I find strange about quitting, and I would like to know if anyone has experienced it before, It seems like each hour has 120 minutes. I find myself with spare time, and I also find the day drags on, the hours go by slowly. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I, too, quit today and am also doing it cold turkey. The day/evening seems to have gone in waves, joy from not smoking, and getting teary eyed on and off. Kinda weird. Tomorrow is work and am a little anxious about being able to function well, but will take it slow. What some of you said about rushing home to have a smoke really hit home. It seems like I rushed everything for that precious cigarette. Nice to slow down for once. I wish all of you great success and joy as you remain smoke-free. P.S. SSC changed my name to Sparky1 so there wouldn't be confusion.
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica, Glad to hear another person talking about how we hurried. I never realized my hurrying was because of smoking, except when I hurried to get home. I'm tired of hurrying through life. Thanks for your addition!
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
2tone - I can relate to that. I realized yesterday that I always "hurried" home from wherever I was, so I could smoke. Being a closet smoker, I had to come home to smoke. I've "hurried" everywhere for many years, and that is going to take some time to change about myself. I was glad to hear someone else talk about being in a hurry. Makes me wonder how much random, spontaneous events I missed out on, because I was "hurrying" home to smoke. Yes, Loulou... I got up this morning wondering what in the world I was going to do all day. I have plenty I could do, but am not very motivated. Hang in there!
17 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Loulou! Congratulations on your first day of "Well, now what do I do with myself?" :) I was lucky to have a couple blizzards blow through town so I could spend my days shoveling snow - I would have rather spent them curled up under the covers but.... I downloaded some puzzle games off the net to keep my mind and hand busy. I'm also drinking so much tea that it's a wonder I've been able to sleep. I have other chores around the house that I could be doing but I didn't want to do them when I was smoking, and unfortunately, I still don't want to do them! It's wild to think that you seem to gain so much more time when you don't have a ciggie break and like everyone else has noticed, you don't feel a need to "hurry" through everything anymore. Except for maybe a trip to the dentist or something unpleasant like that. :p If there's nothing around the house you want to do, go to a mall, the movies, museum - anywhere that will distract you and not allow you to smoke. Hang in there....you'll make it!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica - ----------------------------------------------- [i]We spent an awful lot of wasted time smoking huh?[/i] ----------------------------------------------- One of the 1st things I noticed this week was how much extra time I had on my hands. First I though I was losing my mind, but it dawned on me how many smoke-breaks I used to take when I did something. Without smoke-breaks, I'm getting things done faster than ever! I was telling a friend the other day that it seems that I 'hurried' through most of my life. I'd hurry to get something done to have a smoke. I remember when my son was born how I 'hurried' to get outside to have a smoke. Pretty sad, huh? Now that I don't have to hurry for anything, I'm going to try to slow it down a bit this year (hey, it took me over 10 minutes to compose this post) ;) -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$357,635.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9150 Hours: 8

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Loulou - The minutes seem like hours your first few days, don't they? It's OK, though. Enjoy the mental confusion...look at it like a 'mental break' form reality. Do some really mindless tasks (if you can) to keep you busy. During my first few days, I cut, split and stacked nearly 3 cords of firewood, but I have to warn you, my back hasn't been right, since then :). I worked up one hell of a sweat, though. Good luck to you. The next few days will challenge you. If you need to talk, we're here. Peace. -- 2tone P.S. be careful with the chainsaw... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 187 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$357,635.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9150 Hours: 8

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh yes, that is one of the things.. taking my time now with everything I do including my much loved walks. I'd never take cig's with me on my walks..just wanted to plug into music and walks, but I have to admit that when I was getting close to home I'd certainly pick up the pace to get in and grab that pack! Since slowly the pace down and now embracing everything that I'm doing I find I'm getting much more pleasure from it and I'm also appreciating the outcome... i.e. I love to paint and I only focus NOW on what I am creating and what the outcome of the creation may look like as I go along. My walks are more extended now - originally took me about 45 mins..now up to about 1 1/2 hrs each day. Cooking..omg..I can now really smell all those fresh veggies and the lovely aroma as they are steaming in the steamer as I begin preparing the meat, the potatoes roasting in the oven. EVERYTHING is done slowly, methodically and with a touch of love. (I know this must sound a little nutso,,but this is the best way I can explain it..LOL) There is no wasted time when you become a non smoker.. only GAINED time -- to YOUR LIFE ! ((((((((((((((slowlonghugs)))))))))) Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,257 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $558 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Loulou and congrats on your decision to quit ! When I quit I made up a list of 'distractions' and posted them in every room...therefore I never had time on my hands or felt that time went too slowly for me as I was always keeping very very busy. If you have/had hobbies such as knitting, crocheting, drawing, painting, reading etc. those are helpful to keep your hands busy. Also, exercise is super - even a long walk - no matter what the weather has saved me several times. Now I walk everyday - stick on my headphones and off I go for any amount of time! (it's also a fantastic stress reliever) My home is so clean you can eat off the floor. I've always kept a clean home, but now it's immaculate ALL THE TIME. There are so many things to occupy your time with so that you don't feel like time is almost going backwards and it takes your mind off of you not smoking. We spent an awful lot of wasted time smoking huh? Come up with a list hon and you'll see with that list and with time, the time will pass more quickly for you. All the best to you and your hubby in your quit :) Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,253 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $558 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi loulou, welcome to the SSC you will get lots of support here congrats on your decision to quit lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,050 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �280 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$113,535.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 16

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: