Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

It is all in the mind ~ addiction

17 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shaila: It sounds like you are feeling depressed. The bigger picture has always been there it's just been stuffed down and very difficult to face. You have sheltered yourself from the world by putting it out of your mind and having another cigarette. This is the past. The present is about how you are on a journey to loving yourself. Kate is correct. A positive attitude helps. I find the trick..is getting there. Start with congratulating yourself on how well you have done by not smoking. Capture this pride you have for yourself and realize how precious and special you are..ESPECIALLY since you have worked so DARN tough to find your health. Now that you have your health - you have strength. This strength gives you tools to troubleshoot life. Problems come fast and furious some days - try to take one day at a time, one issue at a time. If ONE particular problem is MORE difficult, think it through piece by piece, write about it, speak to a good friend about it, share on line with all of us...we can help you through it. As you peel away the layers like the skin of an onion you will see the beauty of life and all of it's mystery and wonder. You will find quite amazingly that you will smile at the brillance and mystery of how the Universe works and how it provides. Your smile will light your path to a much brighter world despite it's complications and obstacles. Through ALL of this,,,the most important element is to always remember to REWARD yourself. My tough days...well, I'll buy a chocolate or something stupid like that and every bite or every other small purchase is a reminder of how happy I am that I am able to get through another day by working through another problem, or by helping someone, or by doing the right thing for myself and for others. I am no expert so I don't claim that I have the right answer but if my words can encourage you, give you strength, understand your worth then that makes me smile. Life is tough and you are precious. Breath love into your heart and peace into your soul and remember your worth and how much you are valued. Love and Light. Theresita [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 169 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $76.5 [B]Life Ga
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi mate I went through this It passes and suddenly there is light at the end of the tunnel.. Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 423 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �89.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now that I am coping with not smoking I dont know how to deal with the bigger picture ie the problem with my mind I seem to be addicted to negativity about life~ I hate the way that I have become in life but I really cant see anything that is worth anything! I have a negativity addiction and it is serious! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 285 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
Serenity when I say I hate what I have become in life I mean I hate the way I have become so negative about life itself nothing to do with the smoking - I have been through alot of tough times and am doing very well in life now....but I still get very emotional and have a lot of crying sessions at least once a week!! I need something to look forward to something happy thats all! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 289 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
I am learning so much about myself through this Quit process for example today would have been a perfect day for me to go out and buy Ciggarettes but I didnt! I am off the Caffeine for the next 14 days hopefully giving up smoking and caffeine during the same time its a miracle! I never did like herbal teas but am getting used to them! Yes the disease is in the mind ~ is their a happy pill please!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had to come back here. Mainly becuase I am relitivly a positive person. However I woke up this morning in a fowl mood. Did not do a gratitude list(I do those when I am grouchy) I got worked up about hubby still smokng. Had to clean 1 of his buttrays. Before I knew it I was completely out of sorts. I was crappy with everyone and thing. By dinner time I was miserable. Very depressed and negative about everything. Been threw this sort of thing before. I must wake up and be thankful for the day, my life, and health. Also keep my head up and stay focused on the positive. Never, never, never dwell in negitivty. It will eat you alive. Sorry Shaila I hope you are doing well. As I was tryin to calm down tonight I thought of you and this thread. I have been having a few head problems my self since friday. Today was the first day I let it really get me. Mainly because I let it. Gave it power by my thinking. Its okay though because I did not smoke. Negitivity drove me looney but not to smoke. Grace [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 439 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shaili, You have come so far. I am very proud of you. You have also got some great advise here. I am not the best with words so. However I must say that THERESITA is very insightful about all this to only be on nine day. She said she was no expert, well she fooled me. Anyway you aren a special, you were also created by love for love. There is a higher power there always. you are never alone. You are doing great, I am thrilled that we are still in it together. Grace [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 430 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 457 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Been there, done that - Grace. I have bene working toward being very possitive mysel, shaila - because I made the exact same realisation that you are, at just abpou the exact same point in my quit. I was like - "Well, now that i've got the smoking beat... I had better quit being so gosh darn grumpy all of the time, before it becomes a really devistating habbit." Here's the thing that I had slapped in my face though, hon.. that adiction to nicotine is no where near beat, and your bod needs far longer than 2 weeks to heel and get back on an even keel. Until then all you can do is your best, and leave the rest up to your God. Be kind to yourself - it really does help. I don't know if anyone has explained the physioloogy to you or not, but when you smoked, your brian was flooded with dopamine - whihc makes you happy. It was so flooded that the majority of those dopamine receptors shut down as they weren't needed. now the flooding has come to a sudden halt, and the receptors are still closed. Also - your nerves have been damaged and do take a while to heal themselves. This is why you are a nagative, grumpy, crabby so and so. OK? So, no fair beating yourself up for it. By rewarding yourself, you can help to open up those receptors, and you will feel better faster. Congratulations on two wonderful weeks! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $572 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How can you hate what you've become - when you've quit such a tough addiction??! Have you thought about either tapes or CDs about positive thinking or even relaxation? I use Change your life in seven days" and listening to the CD last thing at night has had a huge impact on my negativity. I've also just started Yoga classes - which also focus on living positively. Maybe you need to find something that is "yours" to replace smoking and give you some feel-good rewards? Hang in there. Personally, I take my hat off to the positive strength in all quit smokers. S
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Grace congrats on 3 weeks smoke free. Time for a reward :)marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,163 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56

Reading this thread: