Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Quitting Smoking: The Basics

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good post Rusty. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 716 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $92 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 12

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, Thanks for sharing, this was a great post! Danielle ___________________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, Thanks so much for this! And Shevie, your comment 'They said it will pass. It did. Not as fast as I'd have liked, but it passed' is what every quitter in the early stages of their quit needs to know. Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 112 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,370 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �840 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Couldn't have said it better myself! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 419 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Rusty. Thank You. Hands together with a bow. I liked this the best. [quote] 9. Understand that no patch, gum, pill, herb or other aid will make you quit smoking. They may HELP you, but you have to want to quit with all your heart and soul. Don't let anything, person, feeling or situation come between you and your quit. Protect it like you would protect an infant. Because it is an infant -- it's you being reborn into a new life. [/quote] and this [quote] you have to want to quit with all your heart and soul [/quote] Thanks for the insperation. Phillip :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $810 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Rusty!! I have printed this post and read it everyday. You keep it real!!!!Thank you [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 41 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post, Rusty. [i]"...you'll have to take this on faith..."[/i] Faith, trusting what those that went before were telling me was true, got me here today. They said it will pass. It did. Not as fast as I'd have liked, but it passed. They said nobody died from a crave. I didn't. They said research quitting smoking. I did and what I found was a real eye-opener to the world of addiction. And it helped knowing the "mechanics" underlying what was happening to me. They said reduce caffeine intake. I did and never missed it. They said drink lots of water and I floated the Queen Mary. They said N.O.P.E. and N.O.P.E. did I take. Guess they knew what they were talking about. It worked. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 378 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1436.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 70 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump for absofab.
  • Quit Meter

$54,964.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 2

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sometimes as folks join the SSC in their quest to quit smoking, they get a little lost among all the threads and posts and information. I'm going to start this one to try to provide one place where a newcomer can get the basics. If I've forgotten anything, feel free to chime in! 1. Are you ready to quit? Sometimes we know we SHOULD quit and sometimes we know beyond any shadow of a doubt that we are ready. Start with the Quit Program tools over on the left. They will help you decide what stage you are at and help you get your head in gear. 2. Right now, write down your reasons for quitting. There may be one reason or a thousand. Write them down. Add to them as you think of other things. Carry this list around with you. Don't put it down. Keep it on you. Take it out and read it everytime you feel a crave or feel weak. 3. Start a quit journal. You can do this in a little notebook, in a file folder, in a scrapbook or on your computer. Everything goes in it -- your reasons for quitting, posts from here or other sites that you find inspirational, information about quitting, quotes, how you feel, what's happening right now, your successes. 4. If you can, take a few days off from work or school or life. Not everyone can do this, but if you can -- pretend like you have the flu. Wear your jammies every day. Lay in bed with the covers over your head. Play wonderful music. Take care of YOU for a few days while you get through this. 5. Eat. Your blood sugar will plummet and it's important to keep it up. So eat something every couple of hours -- yogurt, fruit, crackers, cheese, sugarless candy. 6. Drink water. LOTS. Water (and juice, too) will keep you hydrated and help flush out the nicotine and other chemicals that are in your body. 7. Watch your caffeine intake. For some reason, caffeine is stronger when we're detoxing. Try half-decaf, or switch to tea. 8. Sit at your computer as much as you can and research quitting smoking. Go all over the internet and find information. And of course, right here on the SSC, read posts. Do searches. Ask questions. Someone will respond. 9. Understand that no patch, gum, pill, herb or other aid will make you quit smoking. They may HELP you, but you have to want to quit with all your heart and soul. Don't let anything, person
  • Quit Meter

$54,964.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 2

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: