Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

I don't think Cold Turkey was the way to go

17 years ago 0 126 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, Luna! You're my kind of lady! Hubby and I just got back from Vegas and he took me to the Venetian Spa and I had a massage and a mud bath. I WAS IN HEAVEN! That's how I'm going to reward myself after 6 months smoke free! Thank you everyone! I am feeling better and more confident with each added day. I have already gone far and I REFUSE to go back after the hell I've been through. It's almost like labor. You forget how hard it was! T. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 108 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24.92 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$15,019.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 368 Hours: 22

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Oh, you are all SO AWESOME! Thank you!! I have not smoked. I am having night sweats and still can't sleep but I am staying away from cigarettes. I am thinking of ways to reward myself right now. What did you do? T.
  • Quit Meter

$15,019.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I have not slept in days and I don't think I can keep drinking water and eating the way I have. My mouth hurts from all the gum I've been chewing. WAAAAHHHH!!!!! :'( T. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 76 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$15,019.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on your first week TXsT ... WAY TO GO! [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/cheerleader.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 384 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $48 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 11

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Don't feel bad if you can't go cold turkey. A lot of people can't. When I don't have my patch on I am a bear. I have three kids and they do not deserve a mother that smokes, nor do they deserve someone that snaps at them for however long this part of my quit is going to last. The patch keeps the physical withdrawal down to a minimum for me and makes it so that I don't have to go hide in a cave somewhere while I quit. LOL :) The patch is helps me to not kill anyone while I wean myself off the nicotine. heh ;p The other day I forgot to put my patch on in the morning and was outta my mind it seemed like. I thought ... I can't deal with the mental aspect when I feel crazy because of the physical withdraw. Everyone is different. It doesn't matter if we take a car, a boat, a plane to our destination. What matters is that we get there. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

My husband and I went out to dinner for our 1st week quit.
  • Quit Meter

$54,514.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 385 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I originally quit with the patch. On my 4th day, I took the patch off. The withdrawal symptoms of smoking are mild. The physical ones, that is. The mental ones are another issue. The emptiness an ex-smoker may feel. Nothing to do with their hands. Those are mental issues. Not physical ones. The side effects of the patch are worse than the withdrawal symptoms for smoking. At least, they were in my case. I was nauseous and my heart rate went too fast when I worked out and wore it. It gave me nightmares. I am happy without the patch. I decided to look the nicotine addiction directly in the face and get rid of that. I don't need to be reminded that I was addicted to a drug by being given more of the same drug!!! I want to be poison-free; no patch for me. Hell week has not been hellish. If you think I didn't smoke for long, bear in mind that I started when I was a teenager and I am now in my thirties. Choose to not smoke. Smoking is a verb. It is not a condition of your life.
  • Quit Meter

$44,974.71

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5159 Hours: 4

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cold turkey was the only way for me. "Tapering" off is a joke when it comes to addictions. You either quit or "you want to want to quit." The addictive mind is very good at concluding that if I already have a little in my body, one won't hurt. If you don't take the first puff (hit), you won't have a first cigarette. When patches came out years ago, they were by prescription only. When they became available over the counter, the smoking rate went UP. You conclude: they either don't work as well as advertised OR, people don't use them properly. Cold turkey takes all the guessing games out of the equation. If I don't smoke today, I didn't smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 266 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya T! [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c157/bingo969/Smilies/wave.gif[/IMG] I also have quit Cold Turker, and I've really been having some problems sleeping. By around day 5 or 6, I really, really felt like crap on cardboard. I actually started feeling like I had the flu all the time. [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c157/bingo969/Smilies/banghead.gif[/IMG] However, by the end of the first week, things really did start turning around for me. I made a point of going outside for 5-10 minutes at a pop and just leaning on my car with my eyes closed trying to breathe through my nose the way they teach you. That actually did manage to chill me out some and I felt a little better. I also decided to have a fan blowing on me at night and for some reason that really did help me sleep a little better. Not great, but it helped. I really do think you will start to see a turnaround very soon if not immidiately now. I know I did. Keep it up, stay FOCUSED no matter what and post often!! Bingo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 590 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $87 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in T! I am using the gum but find that I don't need near as much as they "suggest"! I am chewing 3-5 pieces a day instead of the 9-12 they say you should. For me its just getting me by the bad cravings and other than that its up to me to not smoke. You are doing great, look at you, 5 days!!! Hang in there and this will pass shortly. You are on your way....keep on keepin quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 148 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $31.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34

Reading this thread: