Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Was I ready to quit?

18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mg- it is really tough at this point because you get tired of the constant vigil. It's been a month of varying degrees of it, but it does wear on a person...BAD. It would be easier to smoke. WRONG! There's no good thing about smoking, especially when you consider that society looks at smokers like trash. May as well be cooking heroin in dirty spoons in dark alleys and injecting in what few veins we have left for all the glamorousness of smoking in today's world. And I'm grateful for that, now. Huge incentive for me not to smoke. I was really mad about that a couple of months ago. Take advantage of that, not to mention the healthiness of not sucking on these things anymore. Hang in there! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,562 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $351 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all. you all have great advice and were great motivators. I feel stronger today and will keep fighting and I will remember when that strong urges comes today I know that too will pass. Thanks again. The fight is on. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 848 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All the posts say that you have to be ready to quit and you will. I get scared because I dont know if I really was ready. It was just something I know I had to do for my daughter and I was afraid of one day being told I have lung cancer, or need to live with an oxygen tank. I also hated the way I felt when I excersized. But I also enjoyed it. I think I did. I guess Im just scared because Im having a hard time today and I am hitting the 30 day mark. sorry just feeling sorry for myself and needed to vent. thank you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $135 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Morningglory, glad to hear that you are haveing a better day. I don't know why this comes to mind but that 30 day pit reminds me of marriage, the first few weeks is the honeymoon and then reality sets in this is a commitment for life. I know that you are suppost to know what COMMITT really means before we marry and it is the same with committing to not smoking. So if you need to make a new committment do it today. You have a good QUIT going so hang tight. :) SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,384 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $283.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$229,918.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 11

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MG, these days come at us sometimes even when well into our quit but as time goes by it becomes easier to deal with - why - the phrase 'knowledge relaces fear' comes to mind. We are far enough into our quit to know that these feeling do not last too long, we also n know that to give in now means having to start over again which is actually worse than just toughing this one out. All we need do is sit back and think what having a cig will achieve and we can only come to one conclusion !! Well done on seeing the demon off - yet again! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 617 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �127.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[font=Comic Sans MS] Hey Morning... Sounds like you are getting some advise from NICODEMON on how you should now be afraid. Don't be afraid.. Quitting is not a walk in the park but then, neither are any of the things that you listed as your reasons for quitting. You have a great quit going.. don't be swayed into thinking anything else.. you are strong and you can do this. It is like getting over a bad relationship.. once some time has passed.. you begin wondering what you ever saw in that realtionship anyway.. :) But hey.. Spring is here and you are going to feel the difference in your breathing when you want to get out there and enjoy it. Get busy and stop giving this smoking distraction so much attention. You have better things to do !!! Hang Tuff.. Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 55 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,398 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $192.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 92 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I turned the 30 day mark last weekend. It felt awesome. If anyone on this board wasn't ready to quit, it was me. My girlfriend wanted me to. I didn't, I know I didn't, I told her I didn't. My friends all wanted me to. But little by little the constant pressure from the girlfriend made me crack. I tried once, got 16 days and then slipped. Now I'm on day 33 (I think... I'm losing count). Feels awesome, I only think about it on rare occassions. Sometimes I REALLY want one, but I get over it. I trick myself a bunch into not wanting one. I play little mind games back with the habit. I feel better, I look better (the GF said so), and I know I am doing the best thing for me! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 567 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morningglory, hang in there. You are at a tough phase in your quit right now.... But, clear your mind for a moment and think how you've already made it 28 days. 28 days!!! Haven't you done great? Aren't you proud? I know you are. ;) You will get through this. Once you are on the other side of this 30 day slump, you can look back and say... I did it!!! I stayed strong and nothings gonna stop me now!! Keep Strong, us flowers have to stick together. ;p [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,096 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $722.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
18 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting debate guys. I think that there are times when you are more able to quit than others. I think preparation is really important - as most of us know. The problem is we use the 'junkie thinking' - 'i'm not just really yet' or 'one more week' as excuses not to quit. It's important we recognise that we are addicted to this thing and apply good education and a strong will to it. [b]'Stay strong and no junkie thinking'[/b] Peter [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,208 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �400 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
morningglory, Are we ever REALLY ready to quit? I don't think so. I think, if we let ourselves, we could come up with a million "reasons" why we shouldn't quit today... we have too much on our plates, our lives are too stressful, our spouses, friends, family or the neighbor's boyfriend's cousin smokes, and we can't be around smokers right now, so until they quit, then we can't. Like I said, we could come up with every excuse in the book, but they're all just that... excuses. So are we ever REALLY ready to quit? No. So we just do it. We say "OK, today, I don't smoke." And then tomorrow, we say "OK. Today, I don't smoke." And then the next day, we say, "OK. Today, I don't smoke." And we do that over and over again... you've already done it 27 times!! Congratulations! Do you think you could have done that if you didn't want to? I don't. I think that you obviously WANT to quit, so you are quit. I think it's kinda like when we were kids playing hide-and-go-seek. The person counting would say "ready or not... here I come!!!" And that's what you're doing with this quit! You jumped in "ready or not" and have done an excellent job these last 27 days! And if you didn't jump in, a severe illness could play the "hide-and-go-seek" game with you later on and say "ready or not, here I come!" And that's a game I KNOW you don't want to play! So ready or not, just quit and keep quitting. Because if you don't, lung cancer could seek you out later... and possibly find you. But regardless of that, I understand your fears right now... you're at the dreaded "30 day pit" and you're having doubts that you can really do this... that is the junkie talking right now! He's saying "YOU WEREN'T READY!!!! GO BACK TO SMOKING UNTIL YOU ARE!!!" Think about how ridiculous that is!!!! You've got an awesome quit going! You must be doing something right, otherwise you wouldn't be where you are right now! So reward yourself for 27 days of freedom that you've worked very hard for! You deserve a nice reward! And just keep on quitting... "ready or not." Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 151 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,798 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $623.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]

Reading this thread: