Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

1ST day with No Patch,No Gum No NRT....and Losin IT!!

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dalooosh, When you quit smoking you may experience a sore or dry throat. This is a sign that your body is getting used to having less mucous. When you smoked, your body produced lots of mucous to protect the airways from the toxins in smoke. Now, your body doesn't need it anymore. How long will this last? The first few weeks after quitting. Tips to help: Sip ice-cold water or fruit juice, chew sugar-free gum or have cough drops or hard sugar-free candy. If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. It�s possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable. Take Care, Melanie __________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mi Amigos... This is 30 plus days into a strong quit...very much into it..very positive etc....but today is a rough one...Iv'e been slowly weening NRT, started the patch, then some gum/lozenges. Yesterday, did only TWO pieces of nic gum, and some tic tacs and did ok. Conidering I did fine, and they were my last two pieces, I passed on buying more, and did today nic free. WELL>>>>> that "closing throat/chest feeling is here, I've chewed probably 30 -40 pieces of regular gum, and 3-4 little tictac boxes. The crave diminishes and returns , lasting anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so.but very strong and hard to deal with today. Half my office does smoke, and the smell today is actually very appealing. I can taste the nicotine in my throat as I write this. This really sux.Im thinkin I should bite the bullet and pick up some more Nic Gum before I start thinkin' of ..... Thanks for listening..wish me luck all.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 534 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your input guys...still smoke free but I did go and purchase some more NRTS...gonna have to go that route a little longer. But at least no smokes. athanks again for all your input talk soon dalooosh
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dalooosh, happy to see your post and that you made it without smoking. I'm also glad that you got yourself some NRTS, 30 plus days are just too much to throw away. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 61 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,046 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $213.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$229,872.94

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6395 Hours: 4

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dalooosh, sorry you are having such a rough time. I am doing the patch thing and I have one more week to go. I had a rough time this past weekend when I made the step down to 7mg's. I kept reminding myself why I was qutting. And tried to stay busy finding my dog. My dog is another trigger for me I got very anxious and thought someone had picked him up I found him five miles away from home. He had never done this before. And oh yes I thought of smoking. I look forward to you progress and CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR QUIT, YOU WILL MAKE IT..... :) Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,033 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $210 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
  • Quit Meter

$229,872.94

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6395 Hours: 4

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Daloosh......... Been there. Got thru it!! I was on the patch - but the damn things kept falling off and/or I would forget to put a new one on. So I decided one day (about 35 days into my quit) to not bother with NRTs. I went thru hell and back for 3 days. But now I'm nicotene free......and it's fine. But - those 3 days were like Hell Week and Heck Week all wrapped up together. Much worse than I expected, so I know EXACTLY what you are going thru. This is your call. Only you know how bad it is, all I can say is if you have gone this far, you may consider pushing thru another 2 days and you'll be nic free........ Whatever your decision......GOOD LUCK and STAY STRONG with your quit. You are doing an awesome job! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,195 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $533.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI DAL. AFTER READING YOUR POST ALL I CAN THINK IS THAT YOU HAVENT REALLY DONE WHAT YOUR SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ANY OFF THE NRT,S 35 DAYS IS NOT VERY LONG .JUST MY POINT OF VIEW BUT WHY NOT GET SOME NEW NRT,S AND WORK THROUGH IT JUST LIKE IT SAYS ON THE PACK ,I WAS ON THE 2MG FOR 10 WEEKS B4 I STOPED! JAN XXX [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/13/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 146 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,667 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �576.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Daloosh, hang in there! Hang on tight...you only have to go through this for a day or two. I know you don't want to throw away all your hard work. Take it a minute at a time, then an hour at a time. Remember all your coping mechanisms from the first few days...you can do this! You ARE doing it! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 450 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,618 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1575 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$54,735.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 10

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: