Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Another coping tactic...

18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks fish, I'm going to give that a shot.
18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It really works. The duration of the crave episode is reduced. But you really have to pull the elastic hard to get the desired effect. I think electricity would work better.
18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
fish, Keep up the great work! Whatever it takes to stay quit! You are doing fantastic. Take Care, Melanie _____________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im not sure if this is a withdrawal symptom or not. But I have not been able to sleep over the last 3 days. I have had feelings of tightness and nervousness in my chest before I stopped smoking but over the last week it is as if my heart is going to pop out of my chest and over the last 3 nights I have literally not slept. The second I lay down at night the feeling in my chest is overwhelming. I totally am not really even thinking about smoking because I am so concerned about this feeling. I have a doctors appointment today and I am hoping it is anxiety. I am only 35 so Im pretty sure it is not my heart. Has anyone had this feeling. I am in despair and I just want to be able to relax. I feel it all day but the worst of it is at night. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $37.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I just came back from the doctor and my heart is perfectly fine. I have anxiety and quitting smoking just made a little worse where I am having these symptoms. Since I have not slept in 3 days he gave me a couple of sleeping pills to get my sleep pattern going again. He also gave a few Xanax to alleviate my anxiety. I am never too keen on taking medications but just to get myself sleeping again I am going to take a sleeping pill tonight. I was really looking forward to gaining back energy and feeling healthy so I could start an exercise regimen. I will just have to put it off a little bit. I think I would rather have the withdrawal symptom of excitability (if you know what I mean), that someone was talking about in another discussion, that sounds pretty good to me. Anyway, just to put my mind at ease they are sending me for an ultrasound on my heart on Monday but the dr. assures me that everything seems great to him. Im really looking forward to being smoke free, healthy and full of energy, hope it comes soon.
18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HAHA! I'll have to try that! I may not keep it in my toolbox, but it'll be fun to try for a day. Thanks for passing it on, Fish. gpw
18 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found on some website a method for helping to change unhelpful thought patterns - might be helpful for us nic addicts, too. Simply wear a rubber band around your wrist and anytime you have a negative thought (i.e. crave), snap the rubber band on your wrist and think of something more positive (i.e. why you quit). Rinse and repeat. I can use all the help I can get, so I have a bag of rubber bands handy since I already broke one - guess I don't have to snap so hard. keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,246 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $205 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hmmmmmmmm. wonder if it works on others? tell them to wear an elastic band, and when they do something that really makes you see red, you "snap 'em". :eg: (can you tell I'm still healing from the last two days?) ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 659 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $290.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Groovekitty you are so funny. :), Fish, that actually sounds like a good idea. It's like shock treatment. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's good news, Jamie. Don't rush your quit. You smoked for years, so it's going to take time to undo things. Nicotine is an addictive drug just like heroin or cocaine. In fact, the brain reacts to nicotine similar to how it does to cocaine. This addiction will never be fully gone, but eventually it will be so far in the background you won't notice it. Much like wearing a ring or watch. Verify this with your doctor, but once you start getting enough sleep I don't see any reason to not start exercising. I've found a half hour on the treadmill will kill the worst crave as well as lift my spirits. Keep us posted, Jamie. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 254 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,093 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $965.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48

Reading this thread: