Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,514 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Not getting support from my husband :(

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denisey, Right now you need to take care of yourself and you loved ones. Stay strong, maintain your quit. No matter what your husband may be going through, the two of you are in this for the long run. Perhaps it may be a good idea to talk to a friend when you are experiencing difficulties with your quit. Sometimes involving your husband puts a strain on the marriage/relationship. Like I said stay strong, maintain your quit and take some time out for yourself and your husband. Take Care, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
guitarplayerswife, Stay strong, make this quit your own and for you. You have made a wonderful decision. We are all here for you. Take Care, Melanie ______________________ The SSC Support Team
Denisey, Stay Strong, take sometime out for you and your husband. You need to be 100% sure that this is what you want to do. Stay close to the site, you know that we are all here for you. Take Care, Melanie __________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denisey: I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. All of these people care about you and are truly cheering you on. You know I am new to this too, and I feel I can't give you the kind of solid advice you need right now, but it seems you have more than one issue going on, and they are all meshing together right now, probably because it take so much of you emotionally just to maintain your quit. I do not presume to know you and your husband's past, present or future, but please do not make any major decisions right now, except to maintain your quit (cigs). Hang on. Bnbons
  • Quit Meter

$98,087.76

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5637 Hours: 7

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again, I know ur going through hell, we all are, never did we imagine in our wildest dreams thatthe quit would be like a cake easier than done... you helped me through this last night... remember... i was ready to throw my whole life out the window when u came in and pulled me through this.... It makes no sense to give up our quit for these loosers who cant understand us or respect us for what we are and what we want.... lets not give in and give them a chance to tell us...see I told u ... you couldnt do it.... they are waiting for it... stay cool stay quit... - DREAMER [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 36 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denisey, Whoa, wait a minute! I don't want to sound like a know-it-all because I certainly don't know a whole lot, but there's one thing I've learned along the way. "If you think you have to change (or do) something right now, DON"T!" Come on, girl, give yourself some room. This is a highly emotional time right now - everything is out-of-whak due to your quit. Just hold out for another couple of weeks (or more), then re-evaluate. Can it wait until you've come down off your withdrawl? Is it possible that the nicodemon is trying to sabotage your quit? [i]It really gets me when people want to throw away their commitments when the going gets tough. I've done it and lived to regret it.[/i] gpw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 119 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
I'm up against the same thing myself. I've told my husband for months that I was going to quit smoking and would like him to quit smoking with me. He'd like to also. We joined a 12-step program and quit drinking two weeks apart and have been able to support each other beautifully. It has really brought us closer together. I've attempted quits several times, but couldn't make it through the withdrawls. Smelling smoke drove me nuts and that's some of the reason I was hoping he'd quit w/ me. Just before I quit I let him know this and he said not to blame him for the inability to quit. Bottom line: He was right. So I quit and he has not. I knew that there would come a point in my cig recovery (NRT step down and completion)that I would have to back away from him (but let him know I still am "here" the best way I can when he doesn't reek like smoke). So last night he came in from outside smelling of smoke and I began breathing through my mouth. He asked why and I told him. He got defensive and said, "I know, here we go again, I stink, right?". I know in my heart of hearts that this came from his addiction and not from who he really is. I said to him, "Would it have helped your program early on to spend time around someone who smelled like beer? You don't stink, the problem is that I like that smell." I know he knew exactly what I mean. We love each other dearly and this won't change it. Right now I have to be willing to do whatever it takes to stay smoke free. Yes, he feels threatened (he has never attepmted a smoke quit before - in 30+ years smoking Luckys), so he is going to feel discarded for a while. I do, however, need to do my best to let him know that my love for him still exists - when he doesn't "stink". His own addiction will get nasty with me. It's driving a wedge between us. But everything will be OK. Today I will be smoke free and today is all that matters. gpw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 112 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
Well bless his heart! I need to give him a brownie button today! My guy is waiting a while after smoking before he gets around me. I knew he'd understand. He just needed to think about what I said and what I'm doing - and then respond. Not let his own addiction react. I can do it with or without him. "With him" makes it a whole lot easier to live, though. I'm touched. What a prince! gpw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I cry a lot when I get on this website lately. I am sad in my present situation at home, while touched by strangers that seem to really understand what I am going thru. I havent really spoke to the "jerk" since he told me to smoke on day 2 :mad: because I was afraid of making any permanent decisions right now. Things were not going good before I quit-maybe that is why I decided to keep my promise to my daughter; because I need to make a lot of changes :quest: I am going to take your advice and not do anything right now (unless he provokes me, which I doubt he will, he knows how evil I am right now :eg: I havent slept good since I dont know when. Here I am at four in the morning madly typing...I sure hope this gets better. Thanks again for everyone's support :) Denisey
18 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
guitarplayerswife I am happy for you but after one week of not being supported realize maybe me and my hubby need to go our separate ways. I dont feel anything for him other than resentment and this experience has only confirmed my feelings. He is a smoker and has addictions I cant even address here. He is going down and I am not going to join him. I wish it were different but that is life. I can see the forest for the trees and sometimes that isnt too pretty, but I can make myself better for my daughters. They deserve to have one of us trying to make ourselves healthy. Continue loving the guitarman, maybe he will join your quit with time ;)

Reading this thread: