Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

What went well and what could we improved upon?

16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LOL Goofy. Thanks. I think that's part of the reason that I quit. I tried to cut down and was going through withdrawls if I tried to push back a cigarette for 20 minutes. Enough is enough already. sheesh. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 531 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,825 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9,956.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
16 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was supposed to sign off Goofy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $396.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Misty, I never thought there would be enough time in a day for 4 packs a day! I was doing 2 and thought I was insane. Congratulations, and my hat's off to you. I now know who superwoman is. Foofy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $396.90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
Yeah, it makes sense that PMS would influence a quit. What I experienced was the Quit influencing my horemones. Again, my doctor swears it's not so. *shrugs* Though - I do know my body better than he - I live here! LOL I don't see how it couldn't - smoking influences your horemones, so why wouldn't quitting? Plus, I was a 4 pack a day smoker and quit cold turkey - that's gotta shock the heck out many body systems? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 531 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,825 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9,956.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This guy, Kenneth Perkins, has done a number of studies on factors in cessation efficacy, including one on gender differences. Mercy, you'll like this fact he reported: Women's risk of myocardial Infarction (heart attack) and stroke are back to that of a never smoker's level after 2 years. Unfortunately, not true for lung cancer. Misty, he also recommended that women quit during the first half of a menstrual cycle, rather than the last half, becuase of less intense withdrawal symptoms. Duh! PMS anyone? I haven't seen any reference to studies looking more into the hormonal interaction than that, tho. Another interesting finding, or at least theory based on a bunch of studies, was that women tend to be more strongly influenced, in terms of relpasing, by their triggers than men are. I didn't find anything in his research about this type of support forum, but I sure would be curious to know if what we here are finding is true...it sure helps! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 282 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,917.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy, Just as Aloha reported, statistically, it has been shown that women do have a higher incidence of relapse. There are many theories out there as to why. Some point to hormonal fluctuations and compounding effects of PMS, others point to different stress levels and attitudes regarding self-care. Members, Weight gain is very discouraging but please keep in mind that it is temporary. If you are struggling, consultation with a nutritionist may be of help to you. Weight gain is generally brought on by: * Caloric intake of the items ingested * Big portions = high caloric intake * Higher caloric intake in comparison to caloric expenditure * Poor caloric expenditure Tips to help? Count your calories for a full day, three days for best results. Don't forget to mark how much physical activity you're doing. Find out how many calories that physical activity burns. Add up both scores. Subtract the calories you burned from your physical activity from the calories you ingested throughout the day. At the end of the day are you in the negative or in the positive? Hope this helps. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
Goofy - to my doctor's knowledge, it's not a proven thing yet, but I feel that many (or certainly some) of us go through intense hormonal fluctuations when we quit. My quit triggered premature menopause. My doctor swears that the quit didn't do it. But, one day I was smoking, and having normal cycles and then the next day I was quit, having hot flashes, mood swings, depression, anxiety, and never had another cycle. I was 37. All that time I thought it was withdrawals causing my problems, but it was hormones. They put me on oral progesterone and all of the sudden I was OK again. If your wife is yelling, sarcastic and making snide remarks like that - she is suffering. I haven't seen any of your posts on the subject, but I hope that you are looking at it with compassion, and not worried about yourself getting yelled at. It hurts so much to feel like that. It hurts all over. I want to cry just to think about it - I was so misserable for over a year. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 530 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9,937.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with you Phil, I'm discouraged by the weight gain. I went into the holidays heavier than I'm comfortable being and put on more pounds. I held back on portion and frequency and was as active as I could be but the weight found me. I've yet to stop gaining and it bothers me. I realize that it's largely due to a major life change and stopping smoking was just a part of that major change. I was willing to accept some weight and could this time. Now that I'm wearing it I can't stand it. There, I said it. But this blob don't smoke... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 289 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,213.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy, Your observations are backed up by research. From the Nat'l Institute on Drug Abuse's research paper, Nictoine Addiction, [quote] Large-scale smoking cessation trials show that women are less likely to initiate quitting and may be more likely to relapse if they do quit(30). In cessation programs using nicotine replacement methods, such as the patch or gum, the nicotine does not seem to reduce craving as effectively for women as for men(31). Other factors that may contribute to women�s difficulty with quitting are that withdrawal may be more intense for women or that women are more concerned about weight gain. [/quote] The numbers in parentheses refer to research studies cited in the paper. I'm going to track those down sometime. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 282 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,917.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to say... I am done with smoking,done with craves....... Now I have a weight problem! (And I am not eating more) me xxxx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 508 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,176 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2,667.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 99 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: