Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Did you feel this way ? Your solution(s) ?

16 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam, I feel you...even after almost 250 days I still have those moments. Its years of conditioning to act a certain way. You have to re-train yourself to learn how to appreciate life on a new level in a new way. This past year I quit not only cigarettes but also something else thats not totally legal that starts with the word W. That was also hard. I had to learn how to experience moments that I related to those things and learn how to experience them in a different, better and more healthy way. Stay positive and stay proud. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 238 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,760 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,309.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sam, I felt that void for sometime. I think we often feel that void because in being so busy quiting smoking we don't spend time filling the void with something else. The "new you" fills the void. We need to work on making the new us. Is the morning void filled with reading a devotional.....the noon void filled with a special tea...the evening void filled with a brisk walk... or new hobbie. Have we joined new classes at continuing education...or taken up kniting....joining clubs....training our dogs....reading new books....finding volunteer work...joining a gym....improvoing health....(on and on and on). Without the development of a new person we will feel lost and remain in unfamiliar territory. Our comfort zone is in who we were (as unhealthy as that was). The new comfort level comes with being familiar with the new person we have become. It just doesn't happen. You are doing so great...and please know....what you feel is normal and will pass. It passes quicker if you develope the new person that smoking once stiffled. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 330 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,475.10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Sam on 22 days!!! In reading your posts it was obvious to be that you intend to be successful, have a firm grasp on all the strings you control and are getting excellent support from Mom and friends. You are very fortunate. I went back into my journal to read some entries from were I was feeling the "loss." I spent more time in the angry stage, resentful of being forced to feel "loss" associated with the fight of my addiction to nicotine. It was difficult for me to grieve for something I wanted out of my life. I wanted to celebrate the loss and not grieve for it. It was taking up space that something else good could have been occupying. What I found was all the feeling (and all that implies) the drug was covering up. I was missing so much and embraced all I could that left me with no sense of loss at all. It turned into discovery and recapturing a wealth of life I was missing. It's the cup half full thing, it's so powerful. All the best to you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 276 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,159.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 241 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do.. Hang tough ! As I said earlier in a post, I made up a list of FREE distractions which are geared just for me ;) It's all good and fine to keep busy, physically and emotionally with daily chores etc etc but the void really (I find) needs to be filled and fulfilled by things which please me on all levels. I went to the dollar store and picked up a dozen scented candles and in my mom sent me 2 novels, a friend sent me a 1/2 dozen dvd's and no matter what the weather, I get out for at least one walk a day. I'm adding to my personal list every day and it is really helping me a lot. I've now passed my 3rd week as a non smoker and I'm very pleased with myself. I keep my guard up at all times and never take it for granted because I know that at any time I could be hit with a bad feeling re the void, the cravings may hit or I could go through a particularly tough time with an everyday 'crisis'... Either way a cig won't solve the situation. Well it's a blustery day with lots of snow, cold and strong winds out there...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! I will wait until daylight arrives, put on my winter gear and brave the cold Canadian weather ! LOL ! We Canadians are a hearty lot.. hehehe ! ! ! Have a great smoke free Sunday :) Sam xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 550 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $237.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oops, I meant 19 days. Getting confused in my quit lol. Ginette [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 210 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $92.82 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$56,582.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 781 Hours: 3

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm only on Day 6 Sam but I too felt a void in the beginning and was at a loss. I'm not feeling it so much now but I'm sure it will probably come back. Have to take it one moment by moment. Congratulations on your 4 months, Sam. Quite an accomplishment. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 210 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $92.82 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$56,582.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 781 Hours: 3

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang tough Sam - it DOES get better and those aren't just words. I cried so much when I quit and it was ALL about that "lost" feeling. Now - 4 months later, I realize just how much I added to my life. Concentrate on those things and journaling helps as well - write down the great things you can do now that you have quit (i.e. watch a movie without distracting thoughts of your next smoke). You'll be fine - just hang tough! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 119 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,380 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $535.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Youll make it Sam just hang in there :) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1953 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,835.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 275 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$14,575.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 13

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 241 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I clearly see that what I've been feeling is not unusual. Thanks all for your input :) Yesterday's day outing was exactly what the doctor ordered ! Not only did I buy a few nice things for myself, all of the walking in the mall, having a great lunch with my friend and getting my hair cut got the job done :) I think what I have to do is add something special for myself each and every single day, whether it be a long hot bath, going out to grab a cup of coffee and read etc... Things which are set aside just for me and me alone. I certainly don't have the money to do what I did yesterday, but it doesn't take a lot of money, and somethings are virtually free to make a person feel warm and fuzzy inside. And I'm in real need of warm and fuzzy these days ;) Ok.. well thank you all again for your input .. very valuable input ! Have a great smoke free day .... Sam xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $205.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really felt that about the whole thing at the beginning. In fact mentioned on here that I was grieving and was roundly told off!! LOL Still, now, I get moments of time when I know I would have had a cigarette but I am becoming more and more positive about it because it really is great to be a non-smoker. Honest. All the advice on here is correct. Keeping busy is the best thing - and planning rewards..... Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 259 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,144 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1,295.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: