Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,699 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CBEA KATRINA, LLYKA, aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH

Quit now or be left out to dry!

16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, I got a problem with a doc that says obesity is worse for you than smoking. Obesity might be a bigger overall problem but would this same doc recommend nicotine as a weight loss program? I can guarantee you that it works. The first exercise you need to start doing is [b]pushbacks[/b]..... like from the table. Smaller portions, fewer and healthier snacks, you know, rice cakes and carrot strips! YUCKO BUBBA :8o: That there is a fate worse than death! Reach for the celery instead of the Twinkies. Uh...have you ever had a fried Twinkie? Oh lordy, those are good! It's a secret Boy Scout recipe. Ladies, let me just tell ya that S'mores cant hold a candle to a fried Twinkie. I'm getting off track here but another point to consider is that the bowflex is for strength training and wont get you the 20 minutes of aerobic exercise that you and I should be getting every single day. Unless of course you move it to the balcony ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 624 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $109.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, that way, you can BOTH use it! Just sayin'. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 121 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,331.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OMG Heather :gasp: I almost wet my pants ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 131 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $229.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, move the bowflex onto the balcony. You'll use it more! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 121 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,331.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too chose to quit first and this was against the suggestion of my doctor who wanted me to get on an exercise program first, get in shape, start loosing weight THEN quit smoking. (course he wanted everything in like 3 months!) Now I am overweight and don't smoke. Also, like you at 4 months and now getting more committed to the exercise plan. He is pushing me hard on a routine and explained the seriousness of it. People 30-50 are in a VERY high risk age for heart problems. My family has a bad history of this.Health wise I feel I have not gained any ground. I gave up one evil for another. But my plan is set so in 8 months I will have my BMI at 25 (175 lbs). Huh, oh well no matter now. Cravings are gone now so either way I got no excuses now but to get on that bowflex and sweat some pounds away! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 131 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $458.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello John, You bring up a good point. However, when I started my quit I went with the " quit smoking and loose weight" also. But soon found it very hard to take on both tasks. It seemed senseless to try and curve 2 bad habits at once. It got to the point that I didnt know witch one I wanted more. So I choose to quit first, it was a much more harder thing to do and I needed to concintrate all my energy on quitting smoking. I didnt put on much weight when I started my quit. Mainly because if I wanted to quit smoking, I needed to quit drinking beer. And when I quit drinking beer, the food cravings slowed down. I didnt do much excersing though, just walked when I wanted a smoke, especially after a meal. It wasent until after my 4th mounth that I started a weight loss program. So, it worked for me and my quit. However, as a health care provider, I have seen way more people die from cancer or illnesses directly related to smoking than I do from obesity. Not to say that obesity shoud be taken lightly, but I do believe that the results from smoking will kill you faster than obesity. Obesity will cause diabetes and yes, even heart failure. It will also cause strokes and a number of other illness including back problems. But some of these conditions are treatable and have a slower repercussion. Smoking on the other hand will be more aggressive in its nature even though some cancers are treatable. But the fact that smoking caused lung cancer and is a matastatic to many other organs is what makes this cancer so deadly and aggressive. Both will end up killing you, but ill take the obesity over lung cancer any day. Jaset [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 298 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,639.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting freebird, I didn't know nor had ev er heard of a orwellian society, so I went and looked it up. Some things in there that are happening now! Giving up liberties for the sake of freedom. Some spooky stuff in there, I guess I better start protecting my hole cards a little better! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,848 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $969.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$37,783.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 993 Hours: 18

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pokerbrat, I don't know if you read 1984, but 500 years from now this very well could be an orwellian society. When I first read the book I laughed. Read it again a couple of years ago and the fiction vs. reality is getting closer and closer. And that fly on the wall now just may be watching your poker hand. Lainey, yes the research is interesting on the obesity factor. My only concern is that people will use it as an excuse not to excercise, instead go to the doctor to get a pill to clear the virus. Great post and very interesting in reading everyone's responses. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 351 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,530 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,474.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have you read the latest on obesity, the research is very promising. They have found the gene that causes you to be overweight, and are doing further tests on mice etc at this time. There was also some research going on about obesity being caused by a virus or some type of infection. Its all very fascinating reading. (Kind of like when they found out that cervical cancer is caused by a virus.) So just so you know, obesity it isn't totally caused from overeating or from a lack of exercise. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,725 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,993.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice discussion going here! Jaset obviously since I quit smoking I am NOT ever going back. But we need to get the analogies correct. SMOKING leads to Cancer and Emphysema OBESITY leads to Heart Failure and diabetes Although both are bad, according to my doctor and a few others it is obesity that is worse to your body than smoking! This in NO WAY means anyone should go back to smoking in order to loose weight! It just means we need to exercise before, during and after our quit. For me with all I got going on I am just whining cause it is another thing for me to do and I enjoy being lazy, just ask my wife! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $455.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14

Reading this thread: