Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

What´s Cooking ?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are a lot of protein and carbohydrate recipes a person can choose from. The local A+W is using much less salt and giving out the packs with the meal. If you have a salad instead of fries you are better off, Still the dressing has too much salt and sugar. For a better balance even share a two patty burger with someone. Split the fries too and have bottled water instead of the drink, If you have to have the drink them share it too. Then you can wreck it all by having a turnover. But you know once a month might not be that bad. 

BLT, too much bread to protein ratio I think. Egg salad is probably better for you. Fish even better. I like fish.
Irish stew, lots of lamb to potato ratio. Chicken with noodles, lots of chicken if you use a white sauce. Good just as soup with fresh garden peas. roast anything with yorkshire pudding. Only one potato and peas also.

Of course this is assuming there are other vegetables and a salad. 

I heard on the radio that restaurant portions are two and a half times what they used to be and a muffin alone now has five hundred calories. Muffin and two coffees with sugar and cream for breakfast? Bagels have an over all volume twice what it was. Sausage eggs and hash browns would be better if not for the salt and fat.

This needs more study.

Davit
I dropped the Cozzar and my lower back and legs are better. That is a side effect as is anxiety. I'll be fine on the diuretic and beta blocker. I'll just have to pace myself because the beta blocker is not going to let me do anything else. I've been feeling so good I just want to attack things gung ho. 
Power just bumped, I better do something before I lose it. At least it isn't dark.

Davit.
Potatoes. Yes they are rather maligned. Irish peasantry at the turn of the century and earlier were living on milk and potatoes. Milk being the protein I suppose. I'm sure there were other foods too but it made up the big part of their diet. But then too they might not have had these genetically modified potatoes. Luther Burbank. grew the first russet from seed from crossing two plants. Storey goes it was not intentional. I don't know if the russets today are the same potato. The ones in the store are different from mine. For an excellent storage potato they rot pretty fast. So I don't buy them. They turn green very fast. I'm sure the rows are treated with an anti scab spray. They scab bad. And an anti sprouting agent.
Mine are good but I do have potatoes that are better. 
The only potato that I know of that sets more potatoes per plant is the banana potato. Set nine inches apart in the row Russets produce a lot of potatoes but have to be fed heavy. They are grown for economics not quality. 
So this is why a poor quality potato is the most common in the store. 
I really prefer Red potatoes both for growing and eating. Russets are baking potatoes and few of us have the time. Sugar content dictates how fast a potato turns golden. 
All things in moderation, even the delicious butter soaked potato. And make sure you have some protein with it. Peas or beans will do but a piece of chicken would be better. Do not over cook, over cooking releases more sugar. I like mine still a little firm. In soup I like them cut in thin coins and still a little crisp but cooked. Boiled separate to get rid of surface starch then added to the soup. Lower GI this way.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
I just checked my mail.Thanks for the heads up.I haven't checked it in a long while. I guess I will just have to start checking my mail more often! Thanks for the pic.Your squash are beautiful and I just read your email about the potatoes, funny I just added rose potatoes back into my diet this week and had with no problems at all..
I just sent you a email with a little information on mixed meals..

Red..

Hi Red

I grow them, good producer. Delicata is related, looks bit different in colour but is smaller. 
I split my spaghetti squash in half length ways. I take out the seeds and poke them and mike them skin side up.  I cook till done then scrape them into a colander to drain. I treat them like regular spaghetti with meat sauce or chilli on top. Very good and better for me. They keep for months too. I sent you a picture.

I believe Cozzar is making me very sore. I'll have to stop it. Going to look up the side effects first.

Today was a good day but slow and hard because I'm real sore. But I did what I wanted to do.

Thank you for asking.

Davit
Hi Red

I grow them, good producer. Delicata is related, looks bit different in colour but is smaller. 
I split my spaghetti squash in half length ways. I take out the seeds and poke them and mike them skin side up.  I cook till done then scrape them into a colander to drain. I treat them like regular spaghetti with meat sauce or chilli on top. Very good and better for me. They keep for months too. I sent you a picture.

I believe Cozzar is making me very sore. I'll have to stop it. Going to look up the side effects first.

Today was a good day but slow and hard because I'm real sore. But I did what I wanted to do.

Thank you for asking.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit, How was you day?

I did a little creative cooking and tried out a new low carb recipe today. I cooked some spaghetti squash in the microwave..You take a whole squash and pierce it deeply several times with a knife then put it in the microwave and cook it on high for 10 minutes turning it over 3 times during the cooking process. Then you take it out and let it cool enough so that you can handle it. You cut it open and remove the seeds and that's all there is to it..Then you scrap out the squash with a fork. It look like yellow spaghetti. It's sweet and tasty. I put a little butter and pepper on top.
There are variations of the recipe online and lots of other easy free low carb recipes online too..

Tomorrow I am putting all the Christmas ornaments away and am looking forward to finding some new ideas and projects for the new year..

Red...

Now that is a good idea. There are a few out there tearing down yellow jacket nests.

Davit

Merry Christmas birds.

Davit
10 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe throw the yucky fruit cake out for the birdies??
Good morning Red.

I looked around me this morning at all the sweets I don't need and decided to put them all in the freezer except the pumpkin pie of course since it won't freeze well. I have a fruit cake I made that I don't know why since I don't like marashino cherries. I had one slice and I know it is a waste but I'm going to throw it in the wood stove. I think I'm more valuable than tradition. What was I thinking. Back to eating proper again. My freezers are full of good food. 

It is snowing lightly and sitting right around freezing. I feel good today so once my meal prep is done I'm going to go out there and move a bit of snow. 

A very Merry Christmas to you. 

Davit

Reading this thread: