Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,785 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Fear of going crazy!

20 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My name is Chrissy. I used to be on drugs pretty reguraly. Nothing real major just pot mostly. One night, I smoked out of a water bong..well, it was laced with PCP or it was PCP i have no idea. needless to say, I tripped pretty hard that night... a little after that I started having panic attacks, I was so scared.. they lasted all day long everyday. It stopped for a while, and then I started to feel like I wasnt here "dreamlike" it scares me. then, I read about it and found out I wasnt crazy and that other people feel like this. I am so relieved. The doctors told me I have to deal with it myself without medication. This message was edited by am on 10-5-03 @ 10:15 AM
Wow Emily you are exactly like me....I am fine all day long then when I want to go to bed....BANG...there they go...The panic starts....You know actually your almost exactly like me...I havent had a Panic attack in 3 years .I am 21 and just started a new college and 8 night here I had one....Now I am trying to beat them outt on a nightly basis...So yes I get them only when I want to sleep.
20 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OH my God, bella, you sound just like me, i've had those exact feelings, in fact, i think i posted something to that effect..i am overwhelmed the same way you are, trying to have good self talk, it works sometimes but not all, just keep at it and don't give up, you're not going crazy..just overwhelmed Jeanie
20 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AR, read up on panic attacks (if that's what your friend is having) so you gain as much knowledge yourself about them. Reassure your friend that nothing that she fears can actually happen. It's just anxiety. Thoughts are separate to feelings. Be supportive.
My friend is having all kinds of different thoghts and I just want to know how to help her.
20 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Lisa: I read your post amazed. I could have written it. It describes *EXACTLY* what I am going through. I also have an all day sense of anxiety and panic rather then full blown panic attacks. The feelings of unreality you described are exactly the same. It is reasuring to know that I am not the only one. If you don't mind me asking are you taking any meds?
20 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The moment I lay down at night is the worst for me too. I have horrible insomnia, caused usually by manic episodes but made much worse by panic. I am overtaken by thoughts of fear and being alone. When the kids and the hubby are sleeping peacefully, I start freaking out about everything. The internet has become my safety net. I can read, research, and usually relax by taking my mind off my fears that lead to my panic. I spend time in chat rooms too being silly with all the other people in there who are being silly, or in the chat rooms on Yahoo that are there for people with panic and anxiety problems. It's an immediate way to talk to others with the same problems as I have. Mama :)
20 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I, too, am going through something similar to what you explained. As a matter of fact, I just posted a new post about it! I've been challenging my faith in God lately, too. I've been attending church, though, and it feels great to do even that much! It's sometimes hard to think there is such a God when I feel this awful and let my panic and anxiety stop me from doing things I once loved or things I want to learn how to love! Keep you faith, though....that is something that is so strong and so important in healing. I am a firm believer in that! About your feelings of unreality and whatnot, yes, I do get that as well. Sometimes I'll start questioning life's existence and things of that nature, and I'lls tart to feel like I'm "not here." Just sort of dreamlike. This can accompany panic and anxiety from what i'm told by my therapist and in reading I've done. It's hard to NOT think we are going crazy when we feel so out of control, ya know? What I try to tell myself is that this will make me a stronger, better person in the end. And by the end, I mean the END OF PANIC AND ANXIETY. It's all about changing our thought patterns and even lifestyles. I've cut out alcohol and caffeine completely, and that in itself has made me have less frequent panic. I have more of a constant sense of anxiety and panic versus panic attacks themselves, but I have had many of them in my life. I hope you are feeling well and keep posting here....this seems like such a wonderful network. Lisa
21 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gosh, it is too funny to read these messages because I feel like i am listening to myself! Well, before I got through my panic attcks (my story is a reply under "New Here") Anyway, the whole thing about questioning you religion totally happened to me. I now follow my own set of beliefs but a few months ago I was even questioning the existence of God and some sort of life cycle, so I relate. And the fear of going crazy has kind of stuck with me. Every once in a while I will look up the symptoms of schizophrenia to do a litlle check on myself. My therapist always says that if you are asking whether or not you are going crazy then you have your answer...you're not. Good luck everyone!
21 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Howdy Shellbell, fear of going crazy or losing your mind is one of the more common fears. I used to fear that big time. In fact my second day produced one of my biggest ever attacks when I began to think "am I / what if I go crazy?" As u said it's not possible to lose your mind or go crazy because of panic disorder. Those illnesses are another kettle of fish. Adios!

Reading this thread: