Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Celexa...

16 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi SweetScholarSuccess, Thanks for sharing this experience here with us. Fellow members, feel free to continue to add your thoughts/experiences with medications. We always remind everyone though, to keep in mind that as individuals, not all medications will have the same effect (adverse or beneficial). If anyone has any med concerns, be sure to consult with your health care provider. Casey __________________________ The PC Support Team
16 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
THis medicine, even though I used a very low dosage 10 mg a day made me lose most of my hair ( I had bald spots on my head everywhere) and eyebrows and i'm a girl. Other anti depressants also made me loose hair but never cause bald spots. Im not using any anti depressant for a year now and my hair is back but im kind of ok.
17 years ago 0 144 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie, answering to your question :"For those of you on, or who once were on an anti-depressant, did you find that it actually helped your general anxiety/panic level?" I can tell you that, YES, they have really helped me. I was in a clynical (?) depression where my anxiety and phobia lead to, feeling awfull, I had never felt this way before in my life, very much in fright, feeling like going crazy, VERY low. When I started to think about my phobia (closed area like transport from which I can not easily and cannot get out at all), I even started to vomit because of fright. It was terrible and it all happened a year and few months ago. I was prescribed an anti-depressant (Cipralex) and another medicine called Haloperydol. After half a year I had my first flight by plane and it was me who decided to fly, I was ready to do it (ok, it was not a long distance, just 40 min but still...). And I had no panic attacks in the plane or anything similar. I must add that at that time I didn't visit a psychoterapist, so this problem was not just my thoughts but something in my brain! (I visited psychiatrist). I explain it this way- anti-depressants helped me a lot! Then I quit them and started to feel low and stressful again, so now I am taking them again :(. I hope that someday I will manage to live (and not exist) without them!
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maggie, Thanks for your response. I plan on starting them this Wednesday. I have to just do it and once I can get past that first pill I know I will be fine with taking them. Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated!
17 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[font=Georgia][color=Teal]Hi Isabella, I'm sorry I don't have much time to write right now. I do want to remind you that this is just a pill hun, an anti-depressant can't really hurt you in the end. You can try it for about a month, and if you don't feel any better or can't stop worrying about being on the med- then simply speak to your doctor about possibly stopping it for the time being. As my doctor recently said to me, "Maggie, YOU are your very own worst enemy right now"; he was right. *In this life, we must learn to let some things go*. Personally, I felt pretty darn good for the first 2 weeks or so (aside from the side effects of course). Friends, family and doctors said I seemed more settled with myself, etc. That was nice to hear, and I felt quite a bit calmer too. Lately I am not as sure as to how much this med is actually helping me for various reasons. But, I will try and give it some more time and see if I am just self-creating a lot of my own negative emotions and just scaring myself again. I can't tell you to take the medication hun, but I can reassure you that it won't hurt you. Also, I can suggest that you try and do whatever will give you some peace of mind or bring back some calm into your life... So if this means trying the Lexapro for now- then so be it, right?. It's okay to give new things a try sometimes; you never know what the out- come will be. It could be great! And, like I mentioned earlier...if you don't feel right or are still anxious after about 2 weeks to a month in- then just talk to your doctor and begin to taper off them. Thats' all hun. Hey! If I can down the pills while being afraid it could trigger a manic episode and make me bipolar- then I KNOW you can battle those anxious little thoughts (or gremlins, as I like to call them-lol) of yours just as well (if not better). Take care, sweetie. Be kind to yourself- and most of all, be fair to yourself![/font][/color]
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Isabella, Start challenging those anxious thoughts. Session two & three of our program focus specifically on this subject. Keep persevering! Danielle ___________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maggie, I was happy to see your post. I am struggling right now with starting an antidepressant, lexapro, and was wondering how you are doing? Do you think it is helping you yet? Just curious. I am hoping to gain enough inspiration that I will start it this week. I am dizzy alot lately and find that my attacks have changed. Instead of the racing heart I feel nauseated, dizzy, short of breath, and still scared that I am about to die. I am also very fatigued lately too. I have the lexapro and want to take it but I fear an allergic reaction, some rare and deadly side effect, etc. I hate anxiety!! But it is time to try something else now because I feel I am stuck, that I've plateaued and need to try something else. Anyways, I look forward to hearing from you. ~Isabella~
17 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much for all your replies. And thank you for asking about me. As I have mentioned on several ocassions, you all are an absolute God sent! Great work on the site by the way. Please keep well everyone!
17 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie, Great to hear from you! As the others have already wisely mentioned, some medications, both beneficial effects and side effects, do take a while to get sorted out. Check back in when you can. Hope all is well! Casey ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maggie, Hi. I'd like to answer your poll. I'm currently on Lexapro and I happen to be one of the lucky few, I guess. It HAS helped me. Before the medication, I was not sleeping at all. I couldn't shut my mind off for even a minute. (And if one more person told me to "calm down" or "chill out" I was going to scream! It was like I was ramped up on caffeine or had a sugar high, constantly. (I avoid both when possible) It has helped me to "calm down" a bit. Settle some of the constant, nagging feelings I had. I'm now able to approach things more logically than before. Before I was an emotion-based creature. Now, I'd like to think I'm a bit more in control of what I'm saying and doing. That's just my opinion. (Keep in mind though, that I had been battling this condition on my own for over 20 years - and I was so tired and felt so helpless. I also think this site has helped. It's really nice to know other people struggle with the same difficulties you do. The whole "you're not alone" thing.) Arteest

Reading this thread: