Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Newbie! Any other Christians here??

15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

I don't have generalized anxiety disorder / agoraphobia like most people here seem to have (I've been lurking around reading a bit on these boards!), :) but I still thought the Panic Centre Program might help me as I've been having frequent panic attacks lately due to a specific phobia.

You probably won't believe this, but I used to envy people who "just" had random panic attacks or generalized anxiety disorder, because working through a specific phobia, something you've been totally specifically terrified of for most of your life, in my case, is so difficult and scary in itself - every level of the exposure therapy seems like it's the hardest you can possibly handle. After reading some posts on here, however, I am beginning to think that they might be more comparable than I thought! So I admire all of you who are able to deal with not knowing what situations may tempt you to panic - I know exactly what will tempt me to panic, it's just that it's impossible to avoid it!!

On another note, I wondered if there are any other Christians here on the boards. Anyone? :) I have been considering a few things lately about fear, one of which (#1) you may agree with but no one else will, I imagine:

1. My fear is a sin. It amounts to not trusting that God has everything under control and has planned every trial I will have to face in my life. "God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear" (1 Cor. 10:13).

2. My fear is a habit. It's taken years to get this bad, but habits can be broken and/or replaced with better habits!

3. My fear is a choice. Jesus said in Luke 21:14, "Make up your mind not to worry." That means we do have a choice, and that has been really hard for me to accept, along with #1, because for years I assumed that I had no choice about whether or not to panic in my phobic situation - it "just happened." But it's so liberating to begin to realize that that isn't true! We DO have the choice, even if it seems to be hiding somewhere!

Anyway, I'm glad to "meet" you all and I wish you all many successes in overcoming whatever it is you face! :)

Reading this thread: