Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,788 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Setback caused by actual real panic experience!

13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, thank you!  You know, I actually got into the "special" part of education because of my illness.  I wanted to help kids a lot sooner than I got helped.  The EBD kids (emotionally/behaviorally disabled) kids are my favorite ones to work with.  I love to see how they change when someone accepts them as they are instead of telling them how bad they are, how they grow when they are allowed the little accommodations they need to be successful.  I try to tell myself every day, "my work makes a difference to children and families."  Even on bad days.  This morning I said it to myself with joy after watching a 4-year old boy with autism and no language come running to me so he could get hugs while I sang a song.  This boy who I've only worked with for a few months who has grown SO MUCH.  So thank you for reminding me... I realize that when my panic starts to come back I become more self-absorbed.  Or maybe my panic grows BECAUSE I become self-absorbed... I don't know.  All I know is that helping others has always been a great big fat juicy part of my personal wellness program.

Red, I'm glad I found you too.  You guys are the best.  Had another good day today.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually, you wind up somewhere!!!

:)
Laura

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Laura,

You have a very special reason to get better, do it for those you are teaching, they need you. The boss and the bosses problems don't count. I find it special that you can help others at the same time you are trying to fix yourself. It must be tough. We are here to support in any way we can.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Laura,
I am glad you are starting to feel better and I am also glad that you found us and now have a place that you feel comfortable
talking about the things you are going through..I am happy you are here and that we can support each other in this forum.

Red.
Today is the first day this week I made it from beginning to end without having spiraling anxiety.  And this includes the fact that my week has been challenging and my boss has been more than challenging (I teach special ed).  I always feel that the more distance I can put between myself and my last attack, the closer to wellness I am. 
I'm really glad I found this forum.  You all are so supportive.  For years, I've been a moderator on several yahoogroup-based support groups for anxiety.  Being a moderator, I don't usually share my setbacks with the group, as I am something of a role-model and don't want to dash anyone's hopes of wellness.  But being part of a community striving for freedom from panic was instrumental in helping me conquer my panic in the first place.  So I'm really glad you're here.

Thanks to all,
Laura
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Laura,
Wow! You are doing so great...when I read your post about that terrifying experience at the mall ..... scarey stuff! You are an inspiration...so strong..your son will be just  fine....thanks to your strength! Keep us updated for sure!
Juanita
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Laura:  So happy to hear about going back to the mall with your son and having a good time.  Thank you for sharing with us. 
I came on this site as a refresher course myself.  I had taken CBT before with a support group and when I found symptoms starting up again, I found this site which has been very helpful for me for review and practice.  At first I was a little hesitant about on-line support group, but it works!  thank goodness.

Keep the faith,
Sunny
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Laura,

Thanks for the update..It was great to hear about you going back to the mall with your son.."Getting bad on the horse" as you put it. You are a very smart and strong woman..I am very inspired by your story..I also liked your comment about not letting your world get smaller due to anxiety.
I hope you stick around for a while I think we could all learn a lot from you here..

Red
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent progress Laura!!  Wow.  I was thinking about you and your son during my quiet time this morning.  I wanted to tell you about my 2 1/2 year old grandson and just reiterate for you that your concern for your son's wellbeing after the mall incident is well-founded.  And here, you already have worked that out for yourself.  I knew you sounded like a strong, intelligent person   You and he are going to be fine...  It IS disappointing to have to go back to really having to think through every little thing, but this too shall pass and more quickly than you imagine.  You already know how and while a bit rusty.... it will all come back to you.  

About my grandson... when he was one year old he experienced  his first all out seizure (now under control), spent hours in the emergency room, was transported by ambulance to a trauma center in a nearby city, spent 3 days having tests.  He is now almost three and just the other day talked in great detail (for a 3 year old) about his ambulance ride and being in the hospital.  Kids DO remember these things and the best thing we can do for them is acknowledge what they remember and try to normalize the experience as much as possible.  

I hope you will continue to come back to this site to keep us updated, tune-up your CBT skills, and share your experience and strength with the rest of us.  We are here to support you if you start doubting or get to feeling overwhelmed again.  We do care.  
13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Laura,

thats great you went back and i love your comment on not letting your world get smaller due to anxiety, thats what i am trying to do

Your friend Debi

Reading this thread: