Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Fear of eating?

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Koneko,

Welcome!

Nope, you're not alone! There are some great suggestions in this thread. In addition to this do be sure to work through the program.
You'll learn valuable skills like thought challenging and you'll get a chance to do exposure work.

If you have any questions, just ask!

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to bump an old thread but it makes me feel a little better to see other people that have successfully overcome this.  I never thought of having safe foods.  It's a good idea and I'll try it right away.  It's so weird because I've only been suffering with this for about 6 days now.  I get so worried that I'm going to waste away or not be able to eat again.  Just joined today and already starting to feel better.  I thought I was going crazy or the only one with this problem.
19 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mel, Welcome to The Panic Center. We thank you for sharing your story with us today. This support group is full of supportive individuals who may be able to help you answer some questions regarding panic and anxiety. It is great to hear that you are making an appointment to see a doctor. In the meantime please feel free to roam the site at your own pace. If you look to the left of the screen under "TOOLS" you will find many supportive tests. These tests are not diagnostic tools and are not a replacement or substitute for a physicians advice. The purpose of these tests is to prepare you with information that you can present to your physician. When youre finished the test, you can either print your Final Report or email it directly to your doctor. We also have developed a Panic Program. This program is 12-weeks and involves the tools mentioned above. Each session is based on the previous session, so we strongly advise that you work slowly through the program and not jump ahead. If you have any questions or concerns with our "TOOLS" you can contact our support department at support@paniccenter.net. Take care and we hope to hear from you soon. Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
19 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi everyone, i have only just found this web site and i am so relieved. I have been suffering from anxiety and panic my whole life. Just recently i started losing a lot of weight due to a period of high anxiety and my boyfriend is not helping at all going on about how much weight i have lost. it's such a vicious circle, i am terrified that i can't eat which makes me unable to eat! i went to the chemist to get some complan which is some stuff they sell here in ireland to help to build me up but it has iron in and i have recently been told i have too much iron in my system so i can't take it. my clothes all feel like they are hanging off me and although i know it's because of the anxiety that i am not eating and that i am losing weight i am also frightening myself with thoughts that i have some kind of wasting disease. i am just so scared i am finding it really hard to cope at the moment. Please can anyone out there give me some advice? thanks mel
19 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i can't believe what i'm' reading.. i thought for sure i was alone in this fear! my fear of eating is ultimetly a fear of choking.. so i'm super conscious of every bite as it goes down! reading all of your postings has been inspirational a helpful.. i had this fear of eating about 6 years ago, and got over it, and it just re-surfaced this christmas... day to day life sure is hard when three times a day i get so worked up i can't bare to be awake! i liked the concept of 'safe foods' cause i def. have that. my safe foods are yogurt, apple sauce, and milk and cookies (they get soft in the milk) , other then that, i'm a nervous wreck! it's to the point where i want to find out if i can live off of that plus protein shakes!
19 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi The same thing happened to me 4 years ago. I lost 30 pounds and thought I was dying. Guess what I didn't. But what I did was take in a cat. I ate with the cat. For some reason I would make toast and she wanted some. I gave her alittle and I thought if she can eat it then so can I. Thats how I did it a little at a time. I also had to be in a relaxed setting. Which was outside in the fresh air. Thats what worked for me. Best of luck to you Laura
19 years ago 0 68 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mike and all other people that have invested in this forum I have had an eating disorder for many years now... at least ten, I am 25 now. So I completly understand your fears of eating. I get absolutly paniced when I have to eat, especially in front of others. I guess my panic comes from being terrified of gaining weight, but even when I know that it will not make me fat and really want to enjoy a meal I can't. I get so shakey that I cannot lift the fork to my mouth. It's like my arm stops after picking up the food and I cannot make myself bring it to my mouth...and if I get it that far (miricles or miricles) I can't chew it, because I know I won't be able to swallow it. Does anyone else have a history of eating disorders? I feel alone and confused Katie
19 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=teal][b]I've encountered quite a few people who, like me, have an irrational fear of food and eating. This phobia is called sitophobia or sitiophobia (cibophobia is the fear of food itself), and can have a devastating impact on our health and social lives. Therefore, I've created a Yahoo! Group on this very topic. I intend on creating a web page as well. The group description is as follows: "This group is for people who have a phobia of eating and food (sitophobia, sitiophobia, or cibophobia). Related phobias are: misophobia or mysophobia or verminophobia (fear of germs), nosophobia or nosemaphobia (fear of getting sick), emetophobia (fear of vomiting), anginophobia (fear of choking). This phobia may have a physical (stomach problems, food allergies, etc.), or mental cause. The person may be afraid that the food is spoiled or poisoned, or that they will choke or vomit or have a painful reaction. Food phobics may not want to eat in public, may be on a very restricted diet and refuse to try new foods, may wash their hands incessantly before eating, and may obsess about expiration dates on food packaging. Anorexia, bulimia, and other disorders based on fear of weight or body image issues, are not covered in this group." The group site address is: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/foodfear/ Thank you and I hope you can join me in supporting each other and others with this uncommon, misunderstood phobia.[/color][/b]
20 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been gone for 5 weeks and just got back--I have read all the emails and oh gosh do I feel like I have never been away I was taking CLA ( for wieght ) for a year--I stopped when I went o Europe indecember--Started again this week and I dont know if takinff the CLA makes me anxious or Iget anxious because I took the cla--vicious circle--Anyone else take CLA//
20 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey again, Another thing with myself that i noticed was even though im eating better im always paranoid i dident eat enough and that ill get sick after no idea what to do about those any tips? Thanks Mike-

Reading this thread: