Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Anxiety over irrational things- not common things.

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mrsbelleb

I'm going to show you how core beliefs work and you can apply it to the information in your post because I can see a pattern here.  I'm going to use me as an example. This is negative core belief that has off shoots. It is a very common core belief. First off core beliefs are the memories that control how we think and subsequently how we act. The root of subsequence is sequence or the order in which we do things.
The core belief is "I'm not wanted" the off shoots are. "I'm not good enough", "I'm ugly", "I'm stupid" and finally when added up "no one could love me". Horrible to think this of myself. So this is how it got started. My brother who is a year and a half older than me got invited to a birthday party. I was a year and a half about. They were playing hide and seek and me being young and not knowing the rules got excited and opened my mouth. My brother shouted at me and said I was stupid. I cried and ran home. My mother said I didn't have to go back. So I believed I was stupid and my mother reinforced it by not allowing me to show I wasn't. I wasn't allowed to go back and play so I wasn't good enough, I was too stupid. Not like my popular brother. Why wasn't I popular? Must be because I was ugly. I must be ugly because my mother tried to hide me. (my mother wanted a girl and dressed me as one) No one could love a stupid ugly kid who wasn't a girl. One incident started all this and could because there was nothing in my memory to compare it to. Nothing to say it was wrong so it must be right. A false core belief, but one very easy to build on because My brother was spoilt, He had classic good looks and was popular. (he bought his friends but I didn't know this) He would not let me tag along. More reinforcement here so that the lie I told myself became true. As time went by kids would be friends with me so they could get close to him, especially girls and especially when he was old enough to get the family car. I was not allowed to take up space that his friends could have. 

Every time something went wrong in my life this core belief came up as a reason. Every time something went right it told me it still wasn't good enough. I could never be like him.

I spent my whole life being better than anyone else or at least the best I could be. It ruined relationships because no one wants to be with a perfectionist. It shows them up. It works on their core beliefs. 

Core beliefs are strong enough to make you believe stupid things and do stupid things. You know the saying, "tell a lie often enough and it becomes true". Well I was lying to myself and didn't even know it. And that is the truth, I did not know it. So here we have core beliefs that are supposed to control our lives and all they can do is what they were told. You know about the straw that broke the camels back. Well up until now your core beliefs were something that didn't matter enough to be a problem. Till now. In the program is something called the ten questions. Use it to challenge the core beliefs. Even if they are true. I'm not ugly but neither am I hansom. I am most definitely not stupid. Etc. And yes, someone does love me. Pity he is a cat. These negative core beliefs affected my life for almost 60 years and kept me from my full potential. Not anymore CBT has changed all that. But this was all because some wrong thoughts were installed because I had no proof they were wrong. 

Now we come to triggers. Thoughts that call for answers out of memory. And you have too many inappropriate memories to call on and the more you do the more you will, strengthening them. You can change these thoughts. It takes time because to weaken them you have to have a minimum of ten positive thoughts for every negative one. There is a reason for this but it can wait a bit. Enough to know that what you think and how you remember can be changed so it has no power over you. So it can not bother you anymore.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your advice Davit. I'm certainly looking forward to learning how to deal with my issues. I had a long term boyfriend leave me in the past. I was fine with that break up, I never liked him or was attracted to him. I stayed because I felt that was just the right thing to do. However, if something reminds me of my time spent with him, anxiety takes over my body. I question everything I know. I feel sick to my stomach.Nothing feels right. I wonder if I love my husband even though I know deep down that I do. The thought of not having him in my life makes me extremely sad. My biological dad also abandoned my mom when she told him she was pregnant. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my anxiety or fear, since I have a dad now that I love. I'm starting therapy soon and will be using this website. I just have issues dwelling on my past and I feel gross about myself when I look back at myself dating someone I had no interest romantically or psychialy in the least bit. I gag when I think about it. I'm tired of being over whelmed and bogged down by things I cannot change and I'm tired of it ruining the life I have now.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mrsbelleb

Welcome. 

We have been discussing memory and how it works in panic attacks. Everything you want to fix can be fixed. You can not change memory but you can bury it and by changing thought patterns you can make the triggers null. You can also make any mistakes you made in the past, and we all have them, some so bad we don't talk about them tolerable in the least and gone if done right. Mine do not haunt me anymore. My triggers are still there, they just don't trigger anything. To understand the fear of your husband leaving, you have to look at the past. What you will find is a situation that would give him cause to, but and this is a big but, it may not be anything you did but something you know about. A situation you saw or read about that fits the conditions. It just has to be in memory to feed the fear, it doesn't have to be about you. It could be a movie or a storey about a neighbour that brings the thought up. Irrational becomes rational with repetition even though it is not. The reason for panic is due to how the pathways in your mind are working right now. Yes some of this is chemical. Seratonin, dopamine and a number of other chemicals and hormones and minerals work together to control how you think and store and retrieve information. Memory decides how these work. 
If you fight this it will get worse. Concern is looking at a number of solutions, picking out the best and accepting it. Worry is picking out the worst solution and not accepting it. Your husband is not leaving you. Tell yourself often till you believe it. Till it is well established in memory, till it makes a believable priority pathway in your memory. It will then control future thought by controlling the chemicals that decide how you think. If you follow this program you will learn how to do this without having to go into the mechanics of how the mind does it unless you really want to know. Knowing how and why are not really necessary to change thought patterns. Changing thought patterns is CBT and the program is based on this. CBT works. You might find the past posts interesting reading. If nothing you will see how successful we are. You will also see you are not alone.

We are here to support you all the way.

Davit.
Oh and my irrational things- I am constantly worried about my husband leaving me. I have no reason to believe it. But it terrifies me and I am constantly worried about it.
Hello All,

I just joined tonight. I was diagnosed with anxiety 3 years ago. Since then it has came and went. I have been taking Welbutrin 150mg and Buspar 15mg (I take half a pill twice a day).

5 Months ago I began taking a birth control pill and had previously used an IUD for birth control. Last month I got my first "monthly" in years (due to my previous BC preventing monthlies). 2 weeks before it came I began to have a constant feeling of everything seeming unfamilar to me, even my husband and my own house. This symptom is my biggest anxiety symptom, I don't have the psychial symptoms, just mental ones. 2 weeks went by and it never went away. In fact it got worse and I felt a deep depression because the feeling wasn't going away. I saw my doctor and she switched me to Welbutrin 300mg. I have been taking it for 3 weeks and my anxiety hasn't gotten better. All I do all day is obsess and think about how I can stop this anxiety. The only time I feel normal is when I'm distracted by something. I am searching around for an affordable therapist and hope to have an appointment with one asap. 

My anxiety flares up when I think about my past. I dated someone once and I regret it. I am now happily married with a very blessed life. But I can't enjoy it because some things trigger reminders of my past and then sometimes they just pop up out of no where. I know I cannot change the past but when the thoughts pop up I am flooded with the same feeling of everything being unfamilar, and then I go into panic and sadness and fear that anxiety is never going to go away. Usually a good crying session helps it go away and I feel better the next day but I have now felt this detached feeling for a month now. Figuring out how to get rid of it has taken over my life and I am constantly uncomfortable. I know it's best to accept the feelings and let them in and just keep going on until it goes away, but I cannot seem to get around it. I exercise on my treadmill everyday and do yoga twice a day and have recently began to meditate. 

Is this anxiety that I have? Is it chemical? Or do I just have unresolved issues? If so, what can I do about them? I don't want to be on medication forever since I do plan on becoming pregnant next year, I would love to learn to manage whatever i'm feeling on my own so that when triggers do come up, I don't get freaked out and discouraged. 

Any comments are much appreciated. 

Reading this thread: