Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Think I'm dying.....all the time

13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chris,  Welcome to the program and support group.  I agree distraction is a good way to deal with anxiety and panic.  I have just learned about doing this lately reading the program here.  It really does help.  Once you start reading and working the you will get a better understanding of panic and how the CBT program works.  It has really helped me a great deal. Post often it helps.

Red
13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, everyone in here says they felt like they are dying or feel like they are dying.  But look...  We are all here, chatting on the internet, and when we're typing, we're not even thinking about dying are we?   I feel the same of all of you also.  But look, we are all still here.  It's hard to explain a way to get over the fear or feeling of dying, but everyone is different.  I just recently started haveing panic attack/ disorder, so i'm new to all this stuff.  But just think of what the doctors have said...  Mine have told me, your heart is fine, it sounds great, labs are good.  FYI having your heart palpitation/ skip a beat is normal.  The way I try to avoid thinking about it is really pre-occupying myself with something.  Something that involves deep concentration... i.e.  Sudoku, puzzle, video game, flying my RC plane, or trying to decide which club to choose to hit my next golf shot.   It's all in our head, but the feeling is so real... BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!!  goodluck all!

-Chris
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thats a good idea. Thank you for the suggestion I really appreciate it. This really helps out thank you so much. It's really nice to know I'm not alone in this.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello  KM.

Welcome. 30 years ago I knew a man who I thought had a fantastic memory. He told me his memory was no better than any one else's but if he wrote things down he could remember them. What has this got to do with you? Ok you know there is nothing wrong with you but you keep thinking there is. The way to break this cycle is to write down what you think is wrong with you and then write down that this is not true there is nothing wrong you just think there is. Then read it back a few times till you have it reinforced in your head that there is nothing wrong. You are not dying,  You are not dying, You are not dying. This is called replacing a negative thought with a positive and the more you do it the more it becomes imbedded in your mind pushing out the unwanted thought till the point where you don't have to think it. But you have to write it down. Write down every thing you think is bothering you and analyse it. This will also bring out the triggers so you can deal with them. Writing and thinking reinforces the thought but saying it out loud as you write it reinforces it even more. Like shouting when you bang a finger. It takes your mind off the pain. It takes time before it starts to work real well but I guaranty that it works. Taking the time to make a cup of tea helps too because it draws your mind away from what you are thinking. Think about things that you can do as distractions and let us know. (more writing)

Davit.
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome KM,

I am sorry you had to go through so many health problems.  You are a very strong person to get through that.  I am so happy to hear that you are healthy now.  It will take time to ease these fears but you can do it.  Begin by working through the program. It is proven to help.  Also, post and read in the forums often.  We have great members here to support you!

Have you talked to a doctor about your symptoms?  

Please know we are always here to listen and support you.  You are not in this alone.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ever since I was a little girl I have been so anxious. When I was about 4 years old I went into total renal failure from a condition called vesicoureter reflux. It is more common now, but when I was younger it wasn't so it took them a little while to figure out what it was. They told my mother if I was not on antibiotics, I would die. I ended up being on antibiotics for 3 years everyday until the condition fixed itself thankfully. So at 7 years old they started me on Prozac because I had so much anxiety I was crying all the time and I told my mother I wanted to kill myself at 7 years old. The Prozac helped so much. So 11 years later I started getting so symptoms again, even though I was still on the Prozac. My doctor told me to switch to Lexapro to see if that would make it any better and it did. So from 18 to 20 I was so happy in my life, the best I had ever been. I decided to even better my life and health and get the new Gardasil vaccine. Well, I had a horrible vaccine reaction and I almost died..again. After a few days most of my horrible symptoms went away and I was doing well, until a few weeks later when I could not walk anymore. I had a brain MRI that thankfully everything was normal. They had though I might have gotten MS and that would have been terrible. I can walk again now also which is great. I lost 10 pounds from not eating, and everyone told me my skin was a grey color. I was doing terrible since this vaccine reaction. Finally after cardiologists, neurologists, and other specialty doctors, I'm doing pretty well, except one thing. Everytime one little thing happens, I think I am dying. I'll get nauseous and from just that I think I am going to die. I don't want to think this because I am okay now, but I can't help it. I don't know what to do these thoughts of dying are like completely uncontrollable everytime something very little happens. Even when I just have like a stomach ache or a headache. What can I do to make this stop?
14 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley, 

Thanks for your encouragement. 

I've been going through a lot the past couple years, physically and mentally. My pregnancy was tough mentally -- I went from a double major in college and a great job, to being a full-time mom -- my daughter was a surprise. I was not  married yet. I had many struggles during my pregnancy, losing friends, and my boyfriend (at the time -- now my husband) had to travel back and forth a lot, leaving me at home often -- sometimes for a month at a time. 

Then, we moved about a year ago, from west coast to east coast. It's been a really tough transition -- I'm very close to my family, none of which live here. I've had a hard time making friends, and I have to be home a lot, since my husband works so much. I don't get a lot of time for myself, and I often feel isolated. I've lost a ton of weight -- due to breastfeeding, and not eating enough due to anxiety and depression. I'm trying to get back on track though! Protein shakes, snacking often, etc.

I've never had panic symptoms before my first attack, although I've dealt with GAD previously. I used to have anxiety attacks, but they went away after I started taking Zoloft and I employed some anxiety-reducing techniques. I stopped taking zoloft maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and have since started back up to treat my panic disorder, along with xanax. 

I also have GERD (hiatal hernia, gastritis, esophogitis) & scoliosis, and my doctor suspects that my GERD may be adding (or triggering?) my panic. 

Panic is an obstacle that I'm ready to tackle -- it's just scary that the symptoms are there all day every day, Unlike anxiety disorder, which would surface every now and again and became very manageable. With panic I feel like something is very, very wrong with my body -- except no one can find anything wrong.

Anyhow -- I've written alot! I hope to hear more from everybody, hopefully my story can be comforting as everyone else's stories have been to me.

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome MissyChrissy!

You have certianly come to the right place. Be sure to work your way through the program, you will find it to be a big help.

You are right you are not alone in this.  Many members here can relate to everything you are saying. 

What was going on in your life a month and a half ago when your panic began?  Have you ever had panic symptoms before?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all, it is so relieving to hear your stories!

I'm a stay-at-home mother of a two year old, and my husband works 10-12 hour days. I had my first panic attack 1 1/2 months ago, and have been miserable since. I made the mistake of not taking care of myself, isolating myself, and pushing myself to this point. 

It is really encouraging to hear your stories, since I am feeling the same things -- feelings that I'm going to die, very tired in the middle of the day, exhausting anxiety all day, and I hate to go to sleep alone. All of my family is across the country, of whom I miss very much. I'm always thirsty, and I've lost tons of weight, to where I'm too thin. I've been seeing my doctor though, to rule out other things. Although, I have been diagnosed with panic disorder, and diabetes has been ruled out. I take 75 mg zoloft, and 3 .5mg xanax most days. Most of the time I feel like I'm going to either die, go crazy, cry, or that I'm a hypochondriac! 

Thanks again for your encouraging stories. I feel so young to be going through this, at 25 years of age. I've also had scoliosis & GERD for quite some time. 

Hope all of you are doing well -- I'd love to hear more of your stories, and share back and forth. Truly! 

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shanasuzanne,

Just read through this thread... this is what I'm going through... especially bad in the last 4 months.  Work definitely set this off... had to lay someone off.  It's improved a little and the MD put me on Buspar (daily) and Xanax (as needed for panic).  I cannot stand the Xanax... and the Buspar is only marginally effective.  I tried to reduce the Buspar once and got worse, so that's how I know it works, at least marginally.

A social worker friend of mine told me that meds are to 'get you over the hump' and should only last 6-12 months until you and your body adjust.  Honestly, I'm NOT a fan of meds... I just need a break without feeling 'drugged'.

Hope everything works out!

The program has been helpful!  Eliminating caffeine, drinking certain types of tea, getting enough sleep, excercising and using relaxation exercises help! 

Let me know if anything else works for you!

This fearful thought stuff has got to come to an end... it's exhausting!

Reading this thread: