Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

addiction

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And by the way, very good idea to skip seeing them for a few months. Let us know how you manage for Thanks Giving and don't feel guilty if you slip. We are only humans.

Happy Thanks Giving!!
Lol. Don't feel guilty about the junk food. I have double the number of cookies I hate per day.

Ont thing at the time

M
4 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Lynn , you are so right and it makes total sense . I will be practising and i think i am going to write down all the reasons i feel i should not drink(there are many ) to help me also . 

Thank you Hors and its not harsh at all! I will be after this thanks giving not visiting either until Christmas or even next spring. This will totally give me time to build the strength . and like i said when i am home i have no problem not drinking but mind you i do replace taht with junk food( i know sounds silly but true ) 

Thank you so much for the replies :) 
Hi Vee,

You might find this post a little harsh but may I ask you if you have to visit these persons until you are strong enough to say NO to them in a way they will see you mean business?

I like the way you are starting the reflexion on where you want to be. You are on the right track. Keep going!

M
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Vee.  I read you're post, Self Care, and it sounds like you have been doing a lot of reflecting which is good.  We are all different and it comes down to each of us finding out what makes us do the things we do.  It sounds like you are a little down on yourself for succumbing to the pressure around you.  What if you begin now setting yourself up for the next time you encounter this pressure.  In your mind practice the way that you will say no.  A no that will be understood as NO.  Many times our body language says more than our words.  You may be saying no, but they may be seeing yes.  Does that make sense?  Maybe if you can do this it will give you confidence for the next pressure situation.  It's all about one day at a time.  Good luck!
Thanks High Tower , youre right need to focus on me. yesterday they wouldnt stop , have a drink, loosen up, relax, i said no , no , no , but ended up having one . did go over board like night before but still caved . but again that has to do with me i could have stuck to my decision . so i have some goals to work on that i am setting for myself. that is sticking to my decision and trusting myself. no ddrink its a love hate relationship with alcohol ( hard to explain) and to find things to help me when i feel i need to run from my emotions through food or alcohol. ( i suppose find ways to handle them? ) no clue . Thank you so much i like the sound of that drink sounds yummy ,., will try it 
4 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vee

I live in house with drinkers. In am almost 3 weeks without alcohol and they have quit several times (they lasted from several hours to a whole day) in the last month. I am not sure if this will help you but I focus on what I need to do and not on them. It seems to make it easier to say no when offered. they are relatives and I would like to see them drink less, they drink until they drink too much. I can't fix them but I can fix myself and that is what I focus on. 

My drink of choice right now is 1/6 ginger ale, 1/6 cran/grape juice and 2/3 water. The juice is way too strong straight and this gives a low cal drink that I enjoy. It also gives me a drink in my hand and I am less likely to be offered a drink if I have one already. The drinkers don't seem to care what you are drinking but that you have a drink to drink with them.

Lastly don't feel ashamed or a failure for slipping, we carry enough baggage around without that burden. The path is narrow and long and it is all to easy to stray a bit, just find your way back and continue on your journey. Hopefully you learn from this slip and be better prepared next time.

Good luck and remember, We are all pulling for you.

Hugs
High Tower
Thanks Hors and Lyn i am so glad i found a place where i  can get support and also share and hoprfully helps someone not feel alone . Thanks for the support 
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad you came back in here!  We're all pulling for you. :)
Yes you can!! :-)

Reading this thread: