Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

craving

9 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said Dave!
9 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am reading Living Sober from the AA literature collection. It is a collection of tricks, expectation, etc, about not taking that first drink and be happily sober instead of miserable about it. Interesting and motivating. No saying about the 12 steps, etc. Just help to deal with it.
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Dook. It takes times yet with each leap forward, like you just did, you move farther away from  the problem and take back control. I've had more than of few of those experiences you describe and when someone pushes me I'm polite to a point then, on occasion, I let them have it and draw a line in the sand. Responses from others like the one you describe are often driven by their own fears of not drinking because they do it for many of the same reasons we did.

Well done Dook! Keep up the great work.

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Dook!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I'm so glad I am too....and yes better late than never! True that!

9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so happy I am sober today. 10 years to late but better late then never.
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jakelad--I was the same way.  I'd get a buzz before we went out. I'd do it while getting ready.  Then I would pretend to be where everyone else was (drink wise) while we were out....then it would catch up with me and I'd be plastered and no one else would be.  Yet, I'd think I was fine. Yes, I would tell the bartender or waiter---to make sure to "give me a good drink/strong drink".  Then they would be like "do you like it? Is it strong enough?" Usually it was almost pure booze---omg I was so stupid! What a crazy cycle we put ourselves through! Right? Drinking, hiding, drinking, lying, drinking, being sorry....drinking again....It's a miserable way to live. In fact it's not living....it's existing.

I hate it. I hate it so much.
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I drank I could not understand why everyone else didn't drink like me. They would have 2 or 3 when we would go out and leave it. Not me. I would have 3-4 before going out and as each drink got near bottom I would would begin looking for a waiter to bring me another. God forbid that I run out before the waiter got me another. 
I still drink the same when I go out with friends I have virgin rye and coke (LOL). My close friends know I am sober but others I only tell that I am in AA if they ask. 
9 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you. I know i could do it. I was actually also having a conversation with one of my friends. He is very pushy about alcojol being around Because he doesnt think i have a problem with it. Idk how... however, i told him today that i won't be drinking with him anymore and he said "oh, so if we go out to eat or have a drink, you wont have a drink with me" i said so... i really didn't think that should have been his respond.. ijust don't think he understands. I told him if he wanted to drink w who ever I'll be the designated driver and he seemed bothered that i wont be drinking with him anymore.  As a friend i didn't think that should have been the response. Anyway, he and everyone else should respect that. I'm tired of making the same mistakes again and again..im tired of feeling remorseful, guilty, shameful, hungover, sorry, and im just ready to make that change especially after reading others peoples stories here. I don't wanna lose more than what i slready have. 
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done dook!

Quite an accomplishment so early in your trials. Eventually the cravings will totally disappear and that in itself is an amazing feeling. Keep doing what you're doing, you're on your way.

Stay Strong!
TS

Reading this thread: