Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Update

11 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greg,

yes we are in the danger zone.  However every time we get through, we get a little stronger.

My only defence to what I know will be a difficult time is to plan ahead.  I find for me a trigger is more likely to go for me if I hit a void in what I am doing.  I try and crame the danger zone with things to do.

One thing I have to be careful of when doing this is becoming overtired or hungry.  Each in themselves are also a triggers for me.  So for me pacing myself is also critical.

When I look back on these occasions I can see that the desire always passes.  I just have to hang in there in whatever way I can until until then.

Take care,

Rob
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck!

Stay strong.

How are you planning on distracting yourself tomorrow night?
Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, on the cusp of another weekend. Feeling a bit worried about my resolve. I'm pretty sure I should be able to abstain tongiht as there is no booze in the house. I have a lot to do tomorrow outside because it will be nice weather for a change. Tomorrow night? I can only take it as it comes. Wish me luck. 
Congradulations,

this isnt easy. 

weekends are certainely tricky.  I am planning next weekend now.  If I can get all around me to agree to buy into theses plans we will have a bumper time with no room for alachol.

Best of luck,

rob 09
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It's early Monday morning as I write this and I'm happy to say the weekend went very well. No drinks at all on Saturday, which, to be honest, as brutal up until about 6 pm. After that it was easy.
Sunday, I a bit ashamed to admit, I broke down and had a glass and a half of wine before dinner. I know it's not much but I should have been able to make it without anything. I went to a birthday party at a snazzy bowling alley/lounge with lots of alcohol and didn't drink. Then I had to go to the grocery store which is right next to a liquor store - but I didn't go in. Then, later, I was cooking dinner and the recipe caled for beer or wine. My wife told me to go to the beer store and even offered to go for me. I said no.and used something else. Then, as I was putting stuff away behind my bar I succumbed.
I feel really good this morning. First Monday in a long time I haven't been at least a bit hungover. I feel this week should be cake but next weekend is a bit daunting. I go from days to afternoon shift at work which means I'm off early on Friday and don't start until 4 pm on Monday. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
One day at a time.
Thank you all again. I quite literally wouldn't have done as well as I did without you.

Greg,

I hope you have made it through the last couple of hours, and with a new dawning is a new start.

Rob09 
11 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Greg1276,

I am sorry to hear that you are finding it hard at the moment. But it is great that you are aware of your triggers because now you can do what you must to protect your goals! Crank up that guitar and let loose!

How else can you distract yourself? 

Samantha, Health Educator
*house. I don't have a hose full of liquor! LOL!
I don't have a lot of freinds who drink and my family aren't big drinkers except maybe at Christmas. Right now I'm struggling. 2 huge triggers for me are time alone and weekends and they're both in play right now. There's no booze in the hose excepth for abot 1.5 bottles of wine which I don't really like (but have drank before in a pinch). Gonna go crank up my guitar and try and distract myself.
This is hard.

Good for you, Dave! I did too. The weekend will be the real test. I'll post Sunday night, hopefully with good news.

Reading this thread: