Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Success So Far- 7 Days In

9 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done , time is great every day done is brilliant
9 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done , time is great every day done is brilliant
9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all. Thank you all for your support. Walt bravo you have won your battle. Your body is now totally nicotine free and you already have a head start on the behavioural and psychological side of things because you started off on NRT. I think you are well past a point of no return. As long as you want to you can now remain a nonsmoker with little or a trivial amount of effort. Just be strong and remain focused never forget NOPE. Very soon you will forget that you ever felt the need to smoke. Every now and then you may feel nostalgic without any cravings but life only gets better. Hey Janie all this applies to you too..... Well done guys
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Janie, John and Walt,

You three are doing amazing things!   Congratulations on such great quits! I logged into this thread this morning as it always cheers me up....it still does!

Things do indeed get better as time goes on, but don't be too shocked when a 'Biggie' hits you like a steam roller!  Those 'biggies' get less and less too as time passes.  I had my last 'biggie' in Italy many moons ago when our water tank in the basement leaked out all over the floor......During and after the clean up a cigarette was right there in front of me.......Wow! it was huge!  I was nine months quit at that time, and I was so mad at the 'Nicodemon' for daring to come near me!  Now it is a nostalgia thing when I get a whiff  of a freshly lit cigarette.  

Before I quit, I was a non-smoker, NOW I am an ex-smoker, and I make that distinction, when those whiffs come around. (Yes, even 9+ months later!)

You are all doing so well!  Don't relax too soon, but do give yourself lots of small rewards.  You deserve them!

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!! 

Love Lolly.    

9 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John, Happy to report all is going well on this end, off the spray since last weekend completely and though I still carry it around with me I think about it less and less. Physical cravings are less powerful now but of course it is still the habit that I am fighting, still trying to find a distraction that fills those five minute smoking breaks! Swinging a hammer and knocking down walls and joists has helped, not a long-term solution though unless someone here has a house they wanna sell me cheap :) After nearly a month though I am cautiously optimistic that things will only get better and easier moving forward! Congrats to you on entering Week 11, glad to hear it is getting better every day but as you wrote the habit of smoking is probably something that remains for a long time. Congrats to you Janie on three weeks, look forward to finding out what they call month 2 in this process...Zombie month sounds a bit extreme so I can only imagine what follows! Take care all and best regards from Dresden, Walt
9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Walt. how are things going m8? Are you totally off the spray. let us know how things are going so we can help you.... I've entered week 11 :) No cravings but smoking seems to creep up in the back of my mind. But it's far far far in the back of my mind. Thank God those thoughts just pop up rarely. I believe that things have stabilized in my case addiction wise. I just have to remember NOPE which by now should not ever be a problem. You will get here too soon. Hi Janie keep up the good work. It's a great feeling not to be thinking about smoking all the time. I've been there. There I was worrying away and suddenly it dawned on me that I had forgotten to think about smoking. It's a great feeling.. John
9 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
3 weeks is wonderful!  Go Janie Go! 
9 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jim, Thank you clearing that up. :) nearly 3 weeks down and things are still going well! I have noticed that the time in between thinking about smoking is getting longer and longer which is really good. Hope all is well with you Janie
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Janie!!!

In answer to your question, the first week is Hell Week, the second is Heck Week and the third week is Blah Week.  Your first month is affectionately known as Zombie Month for obvious reasons!  You're now into Blah Week after making it through Heck Week!  Congrats!   I hope you rewarded you self well for achieving your 2 week milestone!  Remember to reward yourself often, as it definitely helps you get through the day, the hour, the minute!  As quitters, we undertake the daunting task of fighting our addiction to nicotine, a very powerful drug!  We need to replace the nicotine with an alternate "reward" to keep the pleasure centers in our brains happy!  It can really help to maintain our Positive Mental Attitudes!

You're doing great so far!  Keep on kicking that nico-demon's ash!!!

Hey Walt!!

You are really embracing your quit, too!  Great job!!!    Keep on finding new ways to keep yourself distracted!  I have found that is one of the keys to success!  Myself, I spent a LOT of time here on the Forums reading and then posting!  Back then, there were a lot more members actively involved here and it was pretty much like a full time chat session!  There were usually several members engaging in conversations in different threads continuously!  Trying to keep up with all of them was definitely a great way to stay distracted!  

Anyways, congrats to you, too for making it through Heck Week!  Keep your guard up this week, Blah Week, as the excitement of the newness of your quit may somewhat diminish.  Try to keep that Positive "Can-DO" Attitude going!  Gook luck with trying to give up the spray this weekend!   You will be wise to keep it handy, though!    It's better to Keep it handy and use the NRT than have to start over!!!    LOL!  Like I told Janie, just keep those rewards coming!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 2

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John, Congrats to you as well and thanks for your continued support. I still carry the NRT spray around with me religiously but over the past few days use it maybe 2-3 times in the day, definitely feeling the nicotine withdrawal symptoms/cravings for a cigarette but at the same time when properly distracted with work it does not dominate my thoughts like a week ago. This weekend I will try to discontinue the spray completely (but keep it at the ready just in case Lolly!). Sounds like you have the next round of goals clearly in sight, not a bad birthday present coming up in June! Mine is in early September so hopefully I will be celebrating 100+ days of non-smoking as well! Keep up the fight and chat with you all soon! Walt

Reading this thread: