Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Falling

16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been thinking for about the last hour about how to respond to the events that occured here. Part of me says, "here is a perfect example of what junkie thinking can do to you if you allow it". Part of me keeps going over our long conversations Friday night and last night. All the thoughts, analogies, situations, and experience we shared. The one thing that keeps coming to mind is listed below. It's a post that I wrote at day 139. You know I love you Joyful and I would do anything I could to help. This post keeps coming to mind so I'm copying it here for you. Please read it. It says it all. [B]The slipping game has no place in a quit. Most of us have attempting quitting in the past and failed at least once or twice. If you are quit, you don�t smoke. If you smoke, you are not quit. It really is that simple. A desire not to smoke must outweigh the desire to smoke. Quitting is the hardest thing I have done in my life. Like almost everyone else here, I didn�t think I could do it at first. Then I made it through a couple of days, got a little more confidence, and moved forward. Eventually, I came to the realization that I could quit. I do not consider myself to be fortunate or lucky to have made as far as I have in my quit because I have worked very hard for it. I have screamed, I have cried (A lot), I have been depressed, I have yelled at those that I love, I have said nasty things to people, I have gained weight, I have posted, I have leaned on the support of those on this site, I have read material, I have been to the quit sites, I have read stories of people dying because of smoking. And one day at a time, I have not smoked. The people here are awesome and I couldn�t have quit without the loving, caring support that everyone here has given me. I have a new mission in life. It is to help as many people as I can break free of a horrible addiction that has controlled me most of my life. When you light that first cigarette, you are playing the slipping game. If you play the game long enough you just might win. The winning prize is failure and slow death. This is my opinion. It is not intended to offend ANYONE. Take what you want and leave the rest. [/b] You played the slipping game. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 766 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,681.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 69 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Everyone, Smoking is a temporary short term lift or fix for the enjoyment of it or for the relief of pain and anxiety. Recall please �it is only temporary relief even if you take up smoking again�. Sure to cause additional anxiety later on down the line. Please don�t be concerned Janna as quitting is one of the best things a body can do. My mind has been made up and smoking is not in the plan. The longer a person stays away from it the easier it becomes. It is a matter of saying no the first time and every other time and it gets easier as we go. Strength to all of you and pay no mind to those smoking thoughts. Let�s see, I�m pretty proud of me! Are you proud of you??? I hope all of you can hang it there and I hope you get to feeling better. Sticken To it [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 561 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,098 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,085.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 102 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh & yes I did put 2 of those 7mg patches on. The doctor gave me xtra of these but my goal is to be off the patch within 2 wks. The one thing that I don't like is that I messed up my quit date of 7/7/07, oh well guess that had to happen to get me where I'm at right now. Thanks again everyone that has been standing by me this past month. I wouldn't be where I am right now without all of your help. Ms. Lady & Ladybugg were very instumental in getting my quit going again. They never gave up on me even though I relapsed for a yr. :) And since I've been back so many of you have been a wonderful inspiration and welcomed me back & showed u cared. Thanks so much! I'm very excited now & looking forward to my 1yr. birthday, lol, I know 1 day at a time :) :) :) :) :) WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Just breathe....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $134.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 585 Hours: 16

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Well I did what I said I was gonna do :) I wet down that nasty pack of cig's, brushed my teeth, took a long shower (although there was no way to get the poison out of my body), I even washed and curled my hair, put on some make-up and perfume and now it's 3:05am & I'm in bed, lol. And I'm so happy that those 5 cig's were so friggin bad!!!!!!! Maybe I shouldn't be thinking this but it's true that I'm really motivated to quit now :) Way more so than I was a month ago. I'm going to set my meter back 2 days b/c from everyone else's experiences I see that this can be common early on in a quit. I'm not going to take away the other days b/c of 6 stupid cig's. My recent days of a non-smoker were so hard to get and I'm not going to let this slip ruin my being proud of those days. I feel that those 3 hrs I smoked in the last 30 days was just a little slip that made me feel so sick to my stomach that I'm excited about quitting now :) And I'm not going to let it have the power to ruin my last month of hard work!!!!!!! So I'm taking away 2 days and that's it, lol. But in my head I'll know that it was 100% consecutive so in time I might subract the other 28 days. Actually non of that really matter b/c my life is not about perfection these days, it's about progress & not beating myself up. It's about balance which I'm trying really hard to figure out. And as far as my boyfriend goes.......he's history. Just breathe....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sleep well, joyful [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $931.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
LOL gotcha :) Typo's are one of my specialty's :) Good night & thank you again :) Just breathe....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

On my way to the shower, then putting on 2 of those patches, then going to sleep :) Too sleepy to read anymore tonight. Going to start tomorrow morning like tonight ever happened. I didn't feel like my old self smoking those cig's. I felt like I was seeing myself from outside myself & it just wasn't me anymore. I really like being smoke-free much better than smoking. It's the growing up emotionally part and the physical craving part of the addiction (which is pretty much all of it), that got the best of me tonight but that doesn't mean that I have to give up my quit totally. I can be stronger than that old me b/c I know & remember how much better my life was smoke-free. Thank you so much for being here alohakeia!!!!!!! Just breathe....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

reason..not ewason...lol..whatever that is [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $931.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
ok, good plan on 2 of the lighter patches. You DO have control over what you decide to do. And it is NOT good to be so bent out of shape by a boyfriend who lets you know how worthless you are...for whatever ewason. Maybe read the rest of that thread, take a nice cleansing shower, say your prayers, and sleep? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $931.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Ok, I'm going to go smoke the 5th one and concentrate on how terrible it tastes, then I'm putting on 2 of my 3rd step patches like the doctor suggested if it got too hard for me. Then I'm coming back and subtracting 2 days from my meter & then go to sleep & I'm going to go for it!!!!!!! If I fall again I'm starting my meter totally over. I'm not going to let this take control of me. The one thing I do have control over is myself. Funny how I'm not good at that but I want to control other things that I have no control over. Just breathe....... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$26,766.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: