Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

When the family wont help

17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't think about your family not be supportive. In the end the only one you can count on is you. Just hang in there. My husband smokes and he is not going to quit but won't bring smokes around me in any way shape or form. I would get healthy and then find another husband.
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is so much truth and help in this run of posts it's amazing. The world is so much smaller than we all sometimes think it is. Stubborness is definatly a strong suit in the fight to quit. I know thats what has helped me. Once I got through Day 1, every day has been easier because each day is one I don't want to repeat :) I never want to go through this again. I never will go through this again. And anyway, I love how this quit has made me feel on the inside, and that is what matters the most. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you for all the support...it does help.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I told my husband I needed to quit because I am afraid I am going to die. My doctor says I have COPD and my O2 level is very low. I have a horrible cough and I feel sick to my stomache when I smoke. My first day I tried so hard to entertain my brain and excercise to relieve the cravings. But then he went to the store and came back and dropped a pack of smokes on the table because, he says, he doesnt see why he needs to change his habit for one of my whims.....I thought I would have some support from his end but I am still determined.....I will just rely on this site for all the support I can get....babeyblue
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can't seem to find any support from my non-smoking husband. He is absolutly positive that I should be able to use will power and walk away from them. This weekend we got into a fight. He's sure I started it. All I said was that I wanted to go get my son this weekend (he's 28 and handicapped and in a group home) (I've only been married to my husband 2 years) I think I've left him for good. I see no point in going back to him. There is no support there at all. But this time, he went too far. I spent the day yesterday back with cigarettes, now I don't want to continue. I really liked the way I had been feeling. I don't understand how people can get on your nerves so bad that it ...for lack of better word... "drives you to do exactly what you want to get away from. Trouble is, I'm still angry, and I can't seem to "control" this anger without a cigarette. Any suggestions at I can do? Thanks daisy
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am with Rusty on this one. I wouldn't pick up those cigarettes just to prove to him and anyone else that you CAN quit. :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 614 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi BabyBlue, You already have a good plan by leaning on us. I'm not going to say negative things about your husband. The fact is, he's addicted to nicotine just like the rest of us and he has to make up his mind to quit smoking for himself. No one can force him to quit. So you will have to do the work but then lean on us and other non-smokers during your quit. And maybe, just maybe, later on your husband decide to quit for himself. I think you have to leave it up to your husband to decide for himself if or when he wants to quit. You just focus on YOU and your quit. We've got your back. Okay? Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 167 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8.37 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bluedaisy, The emotional rage (anger) that we want to express verbally... is supressed by the drug nicotine. As Addicts, we have been hiding behind this crutch of nicotine. We do NOT KNOW HOW to communicate with out it. When we light up under stressful circumstances,it's the nicotine numbing the brain so we don't have to deal with it. As we lose this addiction and learn the connection...we also learn to communicate our thoughts better to those who upset us. Get back to your quit, don't blame your husband for your anger. It's what you are unable to convey to him that is making you angry. auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,519 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $237.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Babyblue, Just think a minute or two about a time before you felt bad in your addiction? (why should I give up my smoking? because someone else is having a problem...they can just leave the room or go up wind from me.) THESE ARE JUNKIE THOUGHTS.... until something happens and then we look at it from a whole different perspective. It's YOUR QUIT, NOT HIS My husband made it very plain...before we decided to marry that he would not be corcered into quitting his pleasure (smoking). When he quits...it will be totaly his decision. I don't push my hubby to quit, but I do request that he not fill the house up with smoke. he's much more of a gentleman than some because he does go to the enclosed porch to smoke so he won't be the reason I couldn't quit. My hubby has seen me try and try again to quit, so he was a little sckeptical when I told him I was going to quit this time. He certainly has no problem with me quitting though, since he paid for my smokes most of the time and they are not getting any cheaper. You can do this..."for You" There are tons of tips in the tools to avoid situations around smokers. and a personal tip from me: Don't push or nag your husband, sugar gets more done than vinegar. (I'm quitting for me not him, my husband has emphysema and heart disease...go figure)...and he's a big boy...old enough to make his own decisions you would think. So...be it! You hang in there baby, and keep your quit.."for You"! auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,427 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $228 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I rarely say this so strongly, but, I truly believe you are gonna have to separate yourself as much as possible from his influence in your quit- especially in your early quit. I don't know that you will need much support (if you can't get it). You can get by if you can power up unto yourself somehow. Take some time to believe how you are doing this for reasons separate from him, and remind yourself of them often. Also remind yourself often that this is your quit and your life. period. It would be ideal if you both could come together in this later down the road - but that may be a different story. We are here for you - be there for yourself. Stick close. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 499 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $245 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41

Reading this thread: