Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,551 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

What could have been

18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Healer and Phreak, I'm glad my post was able to help you both. You both have awesome quits! I think I need to clarify myself on this post. I think this post was interpreted in a way that I didn't mean for it to be interpreted. I think for some, it has been an excuse to smoke and not reset their meter. While I still believe that it's a personal choice, resetting the meter for me was what it took to get me on track and to never smoke again. I don't want anyone to think that I am against resetting meters, because I'm not! The intent of this post was to say "don't smoke because the consequences are great!" If I hadn't reset, I would most likely still be quitting and smoking and quitting and smoking. Resetting my meter is what stopped that cycle. I hope that people who smoke during their quit at least consider resetting their meters... otherwise, what's to stop you from smoking again? It often becomes a scenario of quit... smoke... quit... smoke... That's the trap I got caught in before I reset, which ended the day I reset my meter. Being caught in that trap was far worse than resetting my meter. I just wanted to clear that up for any who might think that not resetting is always the best method. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $726.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
Thank you everyone for your support, as always. Kaiser, those words hurt!!!!! Guess I need to take my own advice sometimes. :) Truthfully, I really am proud of this quit and have no intentions of EVER throwing it away... it's far too precious to ever do that! But sometimes, the "what if's" get the better of me. I do need to quit looking back at the past so much. I know there's no good that can come from it anyway. Thanks everyone. Happy Easter!!! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 169 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,242 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $697.97 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
Well, I was curious how far along I would have been if I hadn't reset my meter, so I went in and adjusted, just to see where I would have been, and low and behold... today would have been 300 days for me. You'd think this would have made me happy, but a pang of overwhelming saddness fell over me because I threw that quit away. I'm not trying to have a pity party... I don't feel sorry for myself at all because I did this to myself... it was a choice and I am living with the consequences of this choice, but I do have a little bit of remorse for the quit that died nearly 6 months ago. I'm posting this as a warning for anyone who is thinking about "slipping" or might "slip." Resetting your meter has consequences. If you relapse or smoke and reset your meter, you will forever have to live with the consequences of that action. I do not wish this on anyone. I know that I have a lot to be proud of and believe me, I am proud. But a part of me wishes that I had 300 days on my meter today, instead of the 160 something days it has now. I'm not saying this to discourage anyone who has reset their meters because quitting after a slip or relapse IS possible... I believe that I am living proof of that. But my goal is to prevent people from doing what I did. If I can help just one person not make the same mistake I did, then all of this will be worth it. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 167 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,176 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $689.71 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pam, for the last 300 days I've watched you proceed through your quit, breezing through some days, struggling some others, and a few that just beat you to a bloody pulp. Then, just under 170 days ago you crashed and burned in an evening of excessive overconfidence (to put it nicely). But like the Phoenix, you rose from your ashes, admitted your guilt, agonized over your meter, made a personal decision about it (which I applaud, BTW), and got on with a new quit. This quit does not have the same tone, the same feel, as your first. This quit has a solidity to it. I know you've had some rough patches this time, too, but you've handled them with a stronger maturity than before. Your lead post in this thread is proof of that. We all wish for things that might have been. It's only natural. Happiness, or at least contentment, comes when we are able to accept that they will always be "might have been" and get on with "what is". Keep craving the quit, Pam. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 325 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,502 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1235 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 60 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You my dear friend are probably right where you need to be to make this your life's final quit. There is a reason for everything, I believe. There is no shame at being at 167 rather than 300. We all wish we could go back and do things over again. I certainly wish that I had quit when I was YOUR age. But we are who we are, and we need to stand with heads held high for what we have accomplished today! You have much to be proud of and you have 300 days of gratitude from others here who have felt your support and shared your struggle. Stand Tall!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 364 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,123 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1274 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$794,832.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5683 Hours: 11

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good research Kaiser! Pam, keep up the good work! You're doing gr8! Everyone in here gave u gr8 advice :)
  • Quit Meter

$26,784.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 586 Hours: 4

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
NEVER LOOK BACK, THE FUTURE IS AHEAD!!! You will have such a wonderful, free future. I hope your words will help someone else, but for you.....do not have regrets or look back. Enjoy and embrace this quit as if it was your first! Many of us would say, "There but for the grace of God go I!" Stay strong! Love Lolly. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/25/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 505 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,697 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2525 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 70 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$11,094.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 694 Hours: 5

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: