Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

A smoke for spite

18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just saw this today....of course stunned and ditto all of the above. I have no fear that your quit is strong, Rusty. I have been dwelling on how to comfort the "care-givers" (such as yourself). Lady had a very deep thought Sunday and I told her to go read her own posts. Not very sensitive of me but who says it all better than she does? Or you, for that matter. I am going to work on doing a better job here. Thank God you have certainly got an outpouring of support here. Some more finger shaking....two more miles with Leslie and all is forgiven :p Smack the junkie upside the head (and your husband), Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 215 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,319 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1075 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
18 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty - thanks for posting your 'moment'. Although I feel pretty good about not smoking or not wanting to smoke, your post reminds me tht we are all human and always need to aware are that we are only one second away from making a bad decison...I will remember this. I know that having that cigarette did not kill your quit and all I can say is that, this was a good piece of luck, most of us would take a puff and be back to square one. Your quit is good, I think that the cirucmstances you went through showed that, but it also shows that we are all vulnerable. Cheers and thanks and congrats Rusty.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 245 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,918 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1715 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty!!!!!!!!!!! What in the world do you think you are doing? Have you lost your mind? You CANNOT smoke. N.O.P.E. You have worked so hard and come so far regardless of any situation you have faced. One puff is all it takes. I know you get mad. So what! We all get mad at people. It's a part of life. You know that what he says is his addiction talking and has absolutely nothing to do with you. Why jeopardize everything you have accomplished? [size=4]((((hugs))))[/size] You should have logged on or called me. You know I'm always around. :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 231 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,631 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $808.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now that I'm not in shock anymore, here's what I wanted to post before but couldn't find the words... I was too stunned!!! Ya know Rusty, I gotta tell you this... when I read this the first time this afternoon before I posted, I checked the date... I was sure this was a bump. When I saw that it was today, I looked at your days... I thought maybe there was another Rusty who had joined... then, I thought it was some sort of "joke" thread... like you were kidding. When ALL THREE of those things were wrong, I sat here with my jaw dropped before responding. Of all people on the site, if we were taking bets to see who would "just have one" your name would be one of the LAST names I'd pick! I understand that you didn't do it because you were craving a cigarette, but that you wanted to prove a point, but this should put every single one of us, whether we have 1, 10, 100, 1,000 or 10,000 days on our quit meters, on guard. Stick as close to this site as you have to. Please don't ever let something like this happen again... we need you here too much. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterflies.gif[/IMG] One more note... I know you were mad at your husband last night and it would be easy to blame this on him, but I hope you don't do that... that will only cause you to have animosity towards him for causing you to smoke. I've seen friendships and relationships ruined by one person quitting (I experienced that first hand) and I'd hate to see you do that. You said that you realize that he didn't MAKE you smoke, but I also know how easy it would be to have animosity towards him, regardless of if he made you do it or not. I hope that doesn't happen to you. Stay strong Rusty. You're an amazing lady! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 112 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $369.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, I can't imagine a situation so awful that it would make YOU smoke... of all people, so it MUST have been bad! I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm in absolute shock right now! I hope you and your husband will work things out. No matter what happens, I hope that you don't go back to smoking. I know that you won't let this happen again because you're too devoted to your quit to ever let anything happen to it. Thank you for the warning. I hope things all turn out OK for you. [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/Miscellaneous/PMhug.gif[/IMG] Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterflies.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 112 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,816 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $369.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, Sometimes you have to step away from the situation, like someone looking through a window, and really look at what is going on from an observers point of view. After you have studied the situation, then reflect on it and way the pros and cons of life like that. We are only given so many days here. Shame on us if we waste them. I wish you all the best. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 278 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,968 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $681.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$36,331.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9767 Hours: 19

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Rusty. Like you said, this had nothing to do with a crave, or with your quit or addiction. This was all about your husband's addiction, and your anger and frustration. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to quit smoking while married to a smoker, especially if the smoker feels threatened by my quit and continuously tries to undermine it. However, it does sound like deep down he really does respect your quit and wants you to keep it, even if he can't admit it to you or himself. Otherwise, he would have praised you for coming to your senses when you lit up instead of wanting you to put it out and not be stupid. Frankly, I don't consider 1/3 of a cig smoked in a "blind rage" as an act of spite a slip. Nor do I consider it as a threat to a 14 month quit. I wish I had some advice, or wisdom, or something to offer other than just support, but I'm afraid I don't. It's a shame your husband is still so enslaved by nicotine. Hopefully, someday his common sense will take control over the addiction and he'll be able to join us. Until then, (((((((HUGS))))))))). Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 270 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1026 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, I am so sorry I dont know how I missed this, but I am glad you are ok now. You have mail. I am with smoggone, smack hubby along side the head :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 309 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,187 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2317.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 40 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gosh what one can miss when one spends a day away from the site packing for my upcoming trip. Oh my, Rusty. What shock I felt when I first saw your post. What gratitude I feel for you sharing your story. Even in your pain, even in your mortification about lighting up, you are thinking about others and how you can use your own experience to help other people. And what empathy I feel for your situation. My husband is my best friend. And yet there is NOONE else who can bring me so close to the edge. Those "mate hate" moments have an intensity that can turn my world on its head. For me, it was like reading about myself...or what could be me. My sometimes volatile relationship with my spouse (not physically abusive or anything like that) has always been my reason for starting smoking again. And even though I feel � I KNOW - that I am past smoking to bring about equilibrium in our relationship, I can so identify with a momentary lapse - feeling so rageful that I would light up just because...to somehow think I could do it to make some kind of illogical statement. You whom I have always admired as one of the stabilest of quitters, just showed me how and why I must never ever let my guard down. Even though some days I feel invincible in my quit, susceptibile I will always be. It makes me teary to think of the pain you must have been feeling at that moment to have taken this irrational action. And the tears are likewise for myself...realizing that I may never truly be free from this addiction and how vulnerable I really am. Thank you for sharing. It was an invaluable lesson for me. And I love you more than ever for your humanness. A big warm hug. Love, Carole [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 309 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,727 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1081.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$794,745.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5682 Hours: 18

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I read this post this morning, it sent my day into a tail spin and I am now just coming up for air. Geez if I haven't had the same thoughts myself over that last few weeks - having one or two or a thousand just to make a point. And that point would be? You said it best yourself... "You've got to get your most stubborn face on. You've got to hang onto your quit with all your might. You've got to say "Damn the torpedos...full speed ahead!" That's what you've got to do if you want to quit. It is totally a matter of mindset. Forget what your husband or anybody else says or thinks. The people on this site have quit and will be your best support. -Just make sure that in your quiver you have the arrow of determination. That is the very most important ingredient. The other aids will ease your journey, but you must also have a stubbornness and a grit and a mindset that you are through with this addiction once and for all. And, you must recognize that it is indeed an addiction -- if you smoke one cigarette, you might as well put the whole pack in your mouth." Thanks for the honesty! It's a choice! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,822 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $828 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$330,386.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 13

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: