Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Boy I sure need to quit

10 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep, it's a struggle sometimes, but I read somewhere that cravings last a maximum of 5 minutes. Golly, I could stand most anything for only 5 minutes (except maybe a roller coaster), and distracting yourself is pretty easy for just 5 minutes. Even using the stuff on your desk to distract yourself can help. I rearranged the desk 4 times the other day, because it was a way to distract my thoughts. LOL, the desk ended up the same as it began, but I didn't smoke, and that's the point. I'm borderline COPD and chronic bronchitis and I smoked for 47 years, so I'm right there with you!  How are you doing? 

Denise 
10 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Be proud for every minute that YOU are in control of your being. Keep up the fight and you will succeed.....one minute, one hour, one day at a time. Drink tons of water...read posts and blogs....do whatever it takes to kill an urge or trigger....and guess what? You're keeping the quit!!!! Keep the quit, Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,480.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 14

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear LK,

Like yourself, I smoked for a long 40 years, and after cancer treatment my COPD is much worse. I continue to fight off the cancer and am in remission at the moment.  Oddly enough, my reason for quitting,  nearly 9 years ago, when I was 56 years old was to be more healthy and to see my grandchildren grow up.  My nickname here at SSC is taken from my grand daughter's nickname...Lolly.  After all that,  5 years ago, I had my cancer diagnosis.
 You are in a better place right now as I'm sure you really do not  feel like smoking with pneumonia and already you have 20 days under your belt.  Well Done!  Now you have to fight your addiction, the Nicodemon, whatever you want to call it, tooth and nail to reach your goal of being an ex-smoker, who remains quit!

I do remember how hard it was...great screaming, gnashing of teeth, punching walls....need I go on, but you know it did get better with each day.  Do read as much as you can on this site, as so many people can give you ideas to fight the smoking thoughts.  I always was sure I could have 'just one'  No way!  In the middle of one of my many crises, I put one of my husband's cigarettes into my mouth, and had a lighter in the other hand.  I think I stood in one spot for about 20-30 minutes...it felt that long...crying my eyes out, as I knew that if I lit that one cigarette, I had lost my quit.  Now, 9 years later, I continue to thank God I did not light it, and I revel in the Freedom I now have (illness notwithstanding.)

Do stay close to this site and we all can help you through the hard times.

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke! 

Love Lolly. 
10 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LK

It's the thoughts of "I'm going to have just one" that have ruined my quit attempts for the last 2 years.  It has taken that long to finally drill into my head that it's not possible, and never will be.  Do whatever you can to distract yourself, as annoying as it is, these thoughts always pass after a few minutes.  Best of luck.
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had that "why can't I have just one" issue, too. In fact, it still occasionally still comes up. Seems so unfair, doesn't it?

I had to make some pseudo-deals with myself to get over it. At one point, the deal was that I would allow myself to smoke when I drank (and then I didn't drink because I didn't want to smoke).  The current deal is that if I still want one after 15 years, I can have one. (That's based on the idea that most of the smoking damage would be reversed in that time. It's also based on the idea that I most likely will not care at all in 15 years.) It's just a mental hedge, so that I can pretend that good bye is not forever. Maybe you can make up one of your own.

Another thing you might want to try is an exercise that the Health Educators gave me at one point:  write a eulogy or good bye letter to cigarettes. It was helpful for me to do that. It really helped me to let go a bit of that desire for just one more. 

Hang in there. It does get better.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just can't get the thought "if I could only just have only one I would maybe stop thinking about it". But I know that it would just make me want another.........but just why can't I get that stupid thought out of mind? Yikes!!!!
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LK,
I did a lot of yelling in the beginning too and it lessened as time went on. You are only human and humans get nervous sometimes and yell too. It's ok to have these feelings just like non smoker do..Sometimes they mad and yell and scream or get nervous or sad or cry or laugh..

I quit smoking after 43 years and feeling the emotions was very  hard at times and still is sometimes but the way I look at it is like this. Now that we have quit smoking we are allowing ourselves to be human and have feeling just like all the people who have never smoked have always done..Some of us are just learning how to let ourselves feel for the first time ever and in time we will get used to these feeling and emotions just like people who have never smoked have done all their lives. So I guess they will just have to be patient with us while we learn how to do this. God knows we have been very patient with all of them for decades now..and we will learn how to be patient with all of them once again..

Hang in there..It gets easier with practice..Just like staying quit does..

Red..
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LK, 

Glad to hear you are still smoke free.  Do whatever you need to do to get through this challenging time.  Many members can relate to how you feel.  As your smoke-free days add up, the feeling will pass.  You are on your way to freedom!
10 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am still smoke free but it is very hard. I one ants to be around since I am yelling a lot. I try to stay calm but I seem to always be nervous & crabby. Last night I wS sooo bad that I had just go to bed
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LK,

Welcome and congratulations! Yes, this will be hard but it will get easier. Within just a few months you will be thinking, "Yes, I am doing this!" Just keeping taking it day by day and keep posting here.

Many quitters have had to try to quit numerous times before reaching their forever quits. This is actually quite normal. What did you learn from you past attempts?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: