Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,702 Members

Please welcome our newest members: plouds, koalablind, Jen S, CBEA KATRINA, LLYKA

trying to quit

13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well Day number 1 no cigarettes it was hard but i managed. I made up a paper and I had all of my friends and loved ones sign it who support me on this so i can hang it on my fridge so every time i want a smoke I just look at the paper and it reminds me of how important these people are to me.
i have cut down considerably and actually i woke up this morning and did not have a craving at all.  i have tried all the NRT's and they just made it worse so i decided cold turkey.
13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pussycat! I'm also sorry about your health problems. I too have bipolar disorder, and I'm wondering why you must quit cold turkey? Does nicotine replacement therapy interfere with the blood thinners? I'm not saying that it's impossible for people with bipolar disorder to quit cold turkey. I've read, and my experience has been, that cold turkey quits have a tendency to bring on manic episodes. So the psych medications may have to be adjusted during a cold turkey quit.
13 years ago 0 11219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Pussycat,

I am sorry to hear about your recent health issues.  It is very unfortunate that you are so young and have to deal with this.  However, consider that some smokers do not get a warning at all and by the time they discover health issues it is already too late.  Try to look at this as an important wake up call. 

Quitting cold turkey is certainly challenging but many members here have lead successful cold turkey quits and some state that they would not be able to quit any other way. 

Prepare yourself by reading through the forum and program.  The more you can arm yourself with information the better.  How else will you be preparing for this quit?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello there Pussycat; Welcome!  Wow!  Lots going on for you to work on - but I think you're smart to set your quit date ahead so you can chart those smokes that you're 'afraid' you'll miss the most- I found that figuring out the emotional attachment I had to smoking was key in finding ways to make 'emotional' trades for the reward.  I quit Cold Turkey too - just past my three months Quit now and I still get sucked in to feeling sorry for myself when someone at a party gets to have a 'social' smoke and never smokes otherwise!  But I found out I need to say NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) or I can't stay quit!  You can do it too Pussycat!  You're young with tons to live for!  Support and great suggestions to get your Quit going are just a post away! I agree with Dawn; mints, gum, H2O and posting!  Good luck Eya
13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there.  The first three days are the toughest.  Get some mints and gum.  Drink plenty of water and keep posting!
Dawn :)
I have bipolar disorder and am on meds for that and on top of that last April my doctor found a blood clot in my left arm so i am on a blood thinner.  i had some tests done and found out that i will be on a blood thinner for the rest of my life and i am only 30 years old.  so i think it is time to quit smoking but i have to do it cold turkey which makes it tough

Reading this thread: