Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

I quit smoking today

13 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you for your words and encouragement. i just went through the course quitsmokingonline.com and it was a real eye opener. i am still trying to wrap my brain around it and will go back through it but it has given me more confidence in my quit. whyquit.com is another good resource i will check out later.

i am a non-smoker

Jane
13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well done in your decision to quite ojmas!!! it's not easy but you'll get there, one hour and one crave at a time! As Helena said, be kind and patient with yourself, when the doubts start, throw out all the arguments you have raging inside your head about how "this is not the right time etc" and be peaceful and calm, you'll get there. Come back here often and spend some time reading all the older posts, they really helped me to realise that I'm no different to anyone else and I can do this too. Good luck! stay in touch.
I just ordered the book. Looking forward to reading it!
13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on your decision to quit!  Usually the first week is difficult and then the 2nd week gets better and after that it gets much easier.  Stick with us here and you will find there is a tremendous amount of support and encouragement.  We all have gone or are going through the same thing as you so it helps to lean on others in similar situations to get past this.  I recommend that you read through the program offered here and have a plan in place for what you will do when a craving hits you.  I strongly suggest reading Allan Carr's easyway to quit smoking......it was a life saver for me.  Although this can be a difficult time for you......there is light at the end of the tunnel.  It gets easier with time especially the more moments we have where we can associate activities with not smoking instead of smoking.  Come and post here as often as you need or wish.....wishing you much success in your quit!
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ojamas,

Welcome to the program. We're glad you're here.

The first week is the worst, thats why we call it Hell Week. When you are rethinking your decision, here are somethings you can do
*Remind yourself of all the reasons that you want to quit.
*Drink lots of water, and mix it up. Have ice water or water with lemon. When you use to reach for a cigarette reach for a glass of water.
*Come on the forums and post about how you're feeling.
*Visualize yourself as a non smoker. Whatever it is that  you want to achieve by not smoking, imagine yourself doing it and how you would feel

Get started with the program as soon as you can. Be kind and patient with yourself!

Keep posting!
Helena, Health Educator
Thank you so much for the encouragement. Almost 1 day down now. Wow...you are at 23...congratulations!
You are right, I can't let this beat me!
13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ojams,
  I quit 3 weeks ago today, and while it hasn't been easy, I figure the worst thing I ever did was have that first one. And I've committed to myself I wont have that first one, ever again. I think of everything that would be different if I hadn't, and so I have in my mind that I get to start again, and I won't smoke the first one.
  I have also really focused on not letting this beat me. I was brainwashed that smoking is pleasurable, conditioned that it calms me, gives me a break from everything or rewards me, but that's all bull-pucky. Smoking is dirty, nasty, smelly and socially frowned upon, and I know it.
  I also try to imagine the craving for a smoke like it's a nasty bug or creature living deep in my tissue (killing me) and each time i have a craving that bug/creature is shouting out to me "feed me", "sustain me", "help me" and by not smoking I'm actually starving and killing the craving, and eventually it will die.
  I know this all sounds crazy, but tearing apart my car/house/purse for a lighter, standing in the snow/wind/rain or missing a family moment to smoke is actually even crazier, so I'm living with my crazy self, and also taking refuge by sleeping.
  Whatever it takes, and there are people here for you. You took the first step, now swing that other foot forward and take another!! You can do this!
I could just cry. Thank you so much for posting. I do still feel a little alone but I hope to gain that family you talk of.
Thank you again. I can be successful, little by little in order to gain alot...
Ok. Got it. But I am unable to upload photo. I'll work on that later.
I have started the program. Already having second thoughts but I look to my program for support!
Can't wait for bedtime
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ojmas, 

Welcome to this program.

Quitting alone is very difficult. Only ppl who have gone through this stage can understand you completely. That is y we all are here to help each other in difficult situations. and also to celebrate with each other the achievements that we achieve on this journey. Consider us ur family. feel free to ask for any sort of help.

All the best

Yasir. 

Reading this thread: