Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

New to the group

14 years ago 0 242 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello  Sharon and Welcome to SSC,  You will find this forum very helpful in your quit. Good Luck!!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 73
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 730
Amount Saved: $292.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 0 Mins: 28 Seconds: 40

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharon and welcome! I am your age, and quit almost two years ago now. I had smoked since I was 13 (shame on me) and at the end was smoking a pack and a half a day (30 cigarettes). I knew I couldn't push my luck much longer I was already reaping the results of smoking, early menopause, gum disease, constant bronchitis etc. And besides that I no longer wanted to be tied to this awful anti social habit.
I came here to SSC and boy did I ramble! but.....no one ever did, or ever will, judge you for that here. That is why we are all here to listen, support and advise where we can.
I used NRTs for my physical aid, however, I swear that at least 90% of my success was due to the fact that I could come here daily and share, ramble, vent, whatever you want to call it and I knew I would get the support and encouragement I needed to fight another day.
So, great to have you with us, I wish you great success and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 698
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 17,450
Amount Saved: $10,470.00
Life Gained:
Days: 85 Hrs: 5 Mins: 20 Seconds: 33

14 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Sharon, welcome to SSC.  There is loads of help and support here.  And we don't use scare tactics to help you quit.  In fact, as you said in your initial post, scare tactics just made you want to smoke more and obsess on how smoking would kill you.  I was the same way!  I smoked a pack a day for 27 years.  When someone would tell me I'd die from smoking, I would panic and start to smoke more!!!!  That's not the way to help people to quit in my estimation.  I think positive support and suggestions will go much further.
Like these:  drink plenty of water, walk, watch good tv shows, nap(when time allows...because you will be tired), and tell yourself "this too shall pass" if a craving should hit.  Take small steps and don't look too far ahead of yourself.  Its definitely doable when you break it down.  One minute, one hour, one day, one crave at a time.

Good luck in your journey!!!!
Jan

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 801
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20,025
Amount Saved: $6,608.25
Life Gained:
Days: 94 Hrs: 0 Mins: 57 Seconds: 23

14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your support. I am a bit in angst though I think it is just the getting ready stuff.  I know what I need to do.  I am sure I will be coming here often as I have quit before and my first three weeks was a bit more than I bargained for.  But I will be positive about it it doesn't have to be that way!

Nice to know others have smoked a long time as well (though I also know it doesn't matter it's hard on everyone).

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 4/8/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 2 Mins: 26 Seconds: 15

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharon and welcome! You have found the best place to quit! Spend some time here reading all you can. These threads are full of helpful information and advice from those who have come before you. What better place to quit than with a bunch of quitters! We have all been there so we know what its like. Come and post all you like, ramble all you like, let it all hang out if you like, thats why we are here! Sharing helps! I quit when I was 53 too, I smoked for 37 years, and I am so very happy to be free! The freedom awaits you my friend. Congratulations on quitting!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1129
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 28,225
Amount Saved: $11,910.95
Life Gained:
Days: 155 Hrs: 12 Mins: 17 Seconds: 8

14 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the SSC Sharon. By all means, don't worry about rambling - this is definitely the place to pour it all out.  I think you found the place where you can be successful too :)

Wishing you great success.

x T

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1192
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 27,416
Amount Saved: �7,539.40
Life Gained:
Days: 106 Hrs: 8 Mins: 49 Seconds: 18

14 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharon, welcome to the site.  There is nothing wrong with your posts.  Keep posting and posting and read and read.  I wish you all the success with your quit and "WE" are here to help.  Getting prepared is important, but don't use that as an excuse to prolong the quit. Example 2 months down the road and you are still preparing   If this is your first attempt at quitting it is important to know that the craves in the first week are crazy, but you can do this.  We all have faced the demon, so of us more than once, but he can be shut down.  Get some veggie to nibble on, lots of water, an exercise plan such a walks and come here as often as you need to.  We will help you as you are helping us.  By the way my name is Sharon also.

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 2/12/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 54
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 540
Amount Saved: $108.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 23 Mins: 25 Seconds: 20

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sharon!!!

Welcome to the SSC from another rambling babbler!!!  It sounds like you are ready to get this journey underway and you have found the right support group to assist you!  Plan your quit well using the Program and start the psych-up process!!  Get excited about tomorrow being the first day of your freedom from addiction!  If a crave starts to get tough, come here and post!  At least come here do a search here about what is causing the crave, and there may already be a thread related to what you are going through offering some sage advice!  Remember... all your new quit buddies here are ready to support you on this journey, so just jump right in and babble away!

You can do it!!!

Jim

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 763
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 19,075
Amount Saved: $3,147.38
Life Gained:
Days: 137 Hrs: 0 Mins: 56 Seconds: 31

• Quit Meter

$44,392.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 9

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 230 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharbr and welcome.  Its wonderful so see so many new quitters!! Awesome.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 152
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,080
Amount Saved: $1,520.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 7 Mins: 35 Seconds: 25

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharbr2,

As Brenda said, post as often as you want and there is no need to worry about rambling. Welcome to our online support community and congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. 

We strongly encourage you to prepare for your quit using the program. It sounds like you have been exploring the program and learning a lot already! Quitting smoking is not only a habit, it's an addiction. This program is going to help you plan how to deal with cravings and more importantly teach you how to replace this old habit with a new one.

You'll also need to put into place a reward system. It should have three components: small one for after each craving, medium for the end of each smoke-free day and a bigger one for the end of each smoke-free week.

Start reading through the forums, you'll quickly realize that many have felt just as you do now and they are now non-smokers. You'll also be able to find a lot of tips and tricks to help you along the way.

We are here for you, check in soon!

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: