Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,657 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE

Trying this again for the final time

14 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great DJ.

Recognizing what you say to yourself when you slip is important.  Now how are you going to counter that kind of thinking when it comes up again?

You will feel bad for a little while when quitting but remember it is temporary and when you are through the withdrawals you will feel better then ever! You will have more energy too!

Members, what positive benefits did you notice after you quit?  Do you feel you have more energy now?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley
 I joined this site in 2008. I think my quit date at that time was in Feb. I did at that time get to the three months. I think the depression really starts to set in big time. What I said to myself it's the same thing every time. It goes like this, I guess I'm not happy smoking so guess I should go back. I'm going to die of something so I guess I might as well smoke because I'm happier smoking. I just can't consentate on anything without my cigarettes. All I do is sleep can't do that because I am very hiper person I shouldn't be sleeping. It goes on and on until I go buy cigarettes and that does it. It's almost that I can't believe that I could be happy without smoking so I keep talking to myself. Instead of focusing on not smoking I focus on how I can go back to it and make it alright with myself. I really don't care what other people say, even my husband who is supporting with me whether I smoke or not. He tells me how much better my breathing is when I'm not smoking. Doesn't say anything when I go off like a nut for nothing. Like I said none of my friends smoke. I do have family that does, but I'm not around them alot. So that part is easy without being around the smoke, so can't blame it on that. I am doing more planning on this. I know by now all the stuff I've tried there is no magic pill. Boy do I wish there was. But thanks for everything. I have not giving up this site even though I was smoking. I still watch it. DJ

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/9/2010
Smoke-Free Days: -9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -144
Amount Saved: $-34.56
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -95572

14 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi DJ, welcome back.  Don't worry about how many times you have quit...as long as you never quit quitting!  The first few times were just practice.  Now you're ready for the real deal.  Sounds like you've planned ahead which is very important. 

Don't worry about getting to a time months in the future - worry about the here and now...one minute, one second at a time.  You'll be surprised how fast the time goes when you're prepared for the cravings and what you'll do to combat them.

Congrats on coming back!

N.O.P.E.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/9/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 51
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 918
Amount Saved: $289.63
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 7 Mins: 26 Seconds: 40

14 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi DJ,

Good for you for continuing to try! You can do this! You came to the right place.

You say you normally slip at around 3 months. What happens at this time? What changes your motivation?

You say that you talk yourself back into smoking? What are some of the things you say to yourself to get you back to smoking?

Unfortunately there is not magic pill or method that will help you quit.  Your motivation and drive has to come from you.  I am hearing that you really want this so the drive is there.  How do you think you will be able to keep yourself motivated?

Please thoughtfully answer these questions and go through the program, you will be well on your way to devising a successful quit plan

We will  be here for you every step of the way!

Stay strong,

Ashley

14 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everybody
 I'm really not new here, but have quit several times on here. To many to be exacted. I can't count the times in the last three years I've quit. Some of the times I get to three months that seems to be the longest I can make it. I really hate smoking, but can't seem to give it up. I end up talking myself right back into smoking again. I have been doing alot of planning for this quit. I had my husband get me a knitting video for Christmas and that's going to be my hand thing. The last quit lasted one day. I seem to get really tired and was even falling asleep driving. Not sure if my bain knows what to do without the nicotine. I am the only person that smokes with most of the people I hang with. My husband quit about 36 years ago. He got up on morning and said I quit and never touch another cigeratte again. Boy how I would enjoy that. Unlike myself I have tried everything there is. I have be trying since the patch came out or before. I wasn't going to set a quit date but decide I better not just fly by the set of my pants. After I read the post from Tobash I decide it was time. I really hate telling people that I'm going to quit some of them laugh and I'm sure they are saying to themselves I bet she's going to. I am just tried of  depending on cigarettes everyday. I really have to find a way to do this. Zyban, Chanatix, laser, that shot that they give (twice) cold turkey can't remember how many times. So I'm giving it another try, I fell it I could get past 4 months I might have it made. I did know not to make it doing the holiday's. I have always an excuse but the stress in life is never going to end. Also my mother-in-law was dignose with lung cancer about three months ago. So this time I am really going to work hard on it. I might end up with alot of people not liking me. I know one problem is that I don't throw the smoking stuff out because I feel if I don't make it I don't want to have to buy it again. This time it's going and nobody is smoking in my house. So this is long enough just thought I would tell some people. Everbody have a Happy New Year. DJ

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/9/2010
Smoke-Free Days: -9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -144
Amount Saved: $-34.56
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -95936

Reading this thread: