Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,530 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

3 hours to quitting

14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go to make the choice to stop smoking!  I also quit cold turkey, the best advise I got so far REWARD!  I guess I am geared like a dog the reward system is helping me lean better behavior!  Read the posts for information that is useful.  Again good job!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/16/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 18
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 540
Amount Saved: $175.50
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 18 Mins: 12 Seconds: 53

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Russ!!!
You planned ahead, and that is great! You already knew which activities or time of the day were the most dangerous, and prepared yourself. The more you know your enemy, the easier it gets to defeat it!
Keep your ice water on hand and straws cut the size of a cigarrette, and keep your great attitude!
We are rooting for your success!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 130
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,950
Amount Saved: $195.00
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 20 Mins: 20 Seconds: 53

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good work Russ!

4 days under your belt is a marvellous achievement.........you more than halfway through Hell Week!

How did you plan for your early morning trigger? What kind of distraction or coping mechanism are you using?

Set up your quitmeter as well Russ as this will help you to feel motivated while you watch your stats add up..........not to mention all the $$ you will see that you are saving!

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Russ, after 3-4 days most of the nicotine is out of your system.  So you are beating the physical addiction, now its fighting the mental addiction.  Keep taking it one day at a time, even one hour at a time if needed!  As Pen said, rewards are important!  Post as often as you need, if even just to vent!  We're rooting for your success!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 286
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,440
Amount Saved: $2,288.00
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 16 Mins: 19 Seconds: 45

14 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Russ,

Just grit your teeth and distract yourself. If you want to quit badly enough you will see it through. It will get easier, believe me!

Chunk it if you need to - 10 minute spells early on is manageable - check 'em off as they pass and be proud of your achievement. In time, you will be checking off days and the feeling of satisfaction that brings is immense!

Remember: goals and rewards!!!! And plenty of rewards early on!!!

ODAAT
Good Luck
Penitent

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/18/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1841
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 46,025
Amount Saved: �11,506.25
Life Gained:
Days: 311 Hrs: 19 Mins: 28 Seconds: 1

• Quit Meter

$56,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 13

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, thanks for the encouragement. This is now my forth day...just got to the office...this is my toughest time, this is where every attempt to quit has failed. But, I am very determined to quit. I know that the early AM is the weak spot and have planned around this most critical time. Russ
14 years ago 0 278 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Russ,

Congrats on your decision to quit.  We have a lot of recovering smokers on here that had smoked for 20+ years like yourself.  It is going to be tough for a while, but it can be done!  Stay strong, drink ice water, go through the program, and keep a positive attitude.  Be in it to win it!  If you find yourself hitting a wall in your quit, feel free to post, and we will get you through.  Welcome to SSC!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/3/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 57
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 855
Amount Saved: $427.50
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 5 Mins: 15 Seconds: 11

14 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Russ welcome to SSC.  I am doing this quit cold turkey and it is really working   You know Russ, you were given a lot of good advice by quitter who walk the walk.  They are the winners.  You never have to quit again as long as you don't light up.  Pretty simple, right?  Well let not light up and stick with winners.  

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 63
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 630
Amount Saved: $126.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 4 Mins: 0 Seconds: 2

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Russ!!!

Welcome to the SSC!!!  There's a lot of good info here for you to go over to help you in your preparation!!!  Just remember the 6 P's...  Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!!!  Stick with the plan and you can make this one stick!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 450
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,250
Amount Saved: $1,856.25
Life Gained:
Days: 76 Hrs: 8 Mins: 10 Seconds: 8

• Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 3

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Russ
Congratulations on your decision to quit, and welcome to SSC!
Keeping a positive attitude is a must; you are not leaving your best friend behind,you are breaking apartfrom your worst enemy!
Keep your ice water on hand, your healthy snacks, gum, hard candy, and something to keep your hands busy!
Hot showers are great too. Rea and post as often as needed. We have a wonderful group of counselors an quitters. And don't smoke!!! Comit yourself to the quit. Make it the number one priority in your life.
We are rooting for your success!!!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 126
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,890
Amount Saved: $189.00
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 9 Mins: 34 Seconds: 13

Reading this thread: