Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Glad I found this

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jay!!!

As you can see, there are a bunch of us here daily ready to answer questions and give you support!!!  Prepare yourself well and go into this ready to fight for your life, because that is exactly what this is!!!   Consider the nico-demon your worse enemy and that you are at war!!!  Fight strong in every craving battle...  never be willing to lose one battle!!  Take it one step at a time and you will be able to do this!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 310
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,750
Amount Saved: $1,278.75
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 11 Mins: 40 Seconds: 6

• Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 8

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jay, and Welcome aboard. My quit day Is Sunday the 11th. this has been a great support site in preparation for the big quit. this will make my 3-4 time, and gone as much as 3 weeks before. But I honestly hope this will be the last quit. I Can Do This.. and so Can You. I will be here lots in the coming weeks, months, maybe years....lol.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/11/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -45
Amount Saved: $-5.63
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -3835

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our support community. You've come to a great place! You'll find a lot of great information and support from members that have experienced similiar situations. In regards to your question, have you spoken with your doctor about possible alternatives. He/she would be the best to guide you at this point expecially is your concerned about taking medications while driving.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jay and welcome! as you can see from the posts below we have all used different methods to stop smoking and have all achieved the same result- we quit! so whatever works best for you and suits your life is the method you should take. We are all right behind you offering our support and information whenever you need it. Good luck and welcome aboard.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 244
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,100
Amount Saved: $3,660.00
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 19 Mins: 34 Seconds: 46

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you, Jay!  Welcome.  Most of us here have had several quit attempts, relapses, etc...  You just gotta never quit quitting!  I, myself, am a habitual repeat offender  However, this is my quit of all quits!  Glad you are joining us.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 79
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,160
Amount Saved: $632.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 22 Mins: 11 Seconds: 25

• Quit Meter

$52,290.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 739 Hours: 15

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jay!  I'm glad you found this site too.  SSC has wonderful members with so much to offer.  Firstly, check with your doc about your choices of NRT's.  I used the nicotine patch in conjunction with Zyban.  There's also the inhalers and gum.  Check it out.
Small steps is the way to go.  And never look too far ahead.  Sometimes looking at the "whole" picture can actually seem daunting.
You CAN do this Jay, and we're here to help.

All the best,
Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 348
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,700
Amount Saved: $2,871.00
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 20 Mins: 9 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jay,
You'll be so glad you found this site.  Post with any questions, concerns or ideas.  Do all the programs as they really help.  There is so much information to help you quit and the people are second to none when it comes to support and wonderful advice.  Your wife will know what you're going through so you've got a great support system in place already.

Quitting is a journey and each of us does it at our own speed and in our own way.  Very few people make their first attempts work, in fact it takes most of us several trys before we make it stick.  Definately see your doctor for something to help if you think you need it.  I highly recommend the Allan Carr books as they help us understand why we smoke and how we can stop without feeling like we're giving up something good.  Read, read and read some more.  When you're ready, take your freedom back from nicotine addiction.  It's worth it.  We'll be here to help.

Knowledge replaces fear.
Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 711
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 28,440
Amount Saved: $14,220.00
Life Gained:
Days: 93 Hrs: 8 Mins: 45 Seconds: 57

• Quit Meter

$120,921.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 963 Hours: 4

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Jay!  As you can see, we are all at different times in our quit, but we're all here for each other and we'll be here for you!
AC

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 108
Amount Saved: $47.52
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 21 Mins: 10 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jay!  Welcome to the SSC!  I quit cold turkey.  I read almost every posting on this site, completed all of the questionaires under "my program", set up a reward system to reward every passed craving, 1 hour no smoking, 1 day no smoking, 1 week no smoking, and so on.  I didn't want to use Chantix due to other meds I was on as I was afraid of any side effects.  The group here at SSC got me through the early days, and now I'm over 20 weeks as a non smoker.  There are other NRTs like gum, patches, lozenges, etc. that may not interfere with your driving.  Please check with your doctor to see what other therapies/medications may be available for your use.  Once you have planned your quit and selected your quit date, why don't you add your stat meter to all of your posts from "my profile".  Please know that we will all be here rooting for your success!  Let us know what else we can do to help!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 141
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,640
Amount Saved: $1,128.00
Life Gained:
Days: 21 Hrs: 3 Mins: 32 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello again Jay Henny Penny has given you some excellent advice. You mentioned that you quit for a week and it got harder. Most people need to try quitting more than once. We learned to smoke and equally we have to learn not to smoke. And yes it gets harder but after a while it gets easier. Henny Penny recommended Allan Carr's book and I have to agree that it is a good help. It's called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. When you decide on a quit date set your quitmeter. That way you can countdown to your quit and keep track of how many days smoke free , etc. To do this go to MY Profile , fill out the questions and click yes to turn it on. Look forward to hearing from you. breather 58 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 58
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,900
Amount Saved: $1,392.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 18 Mins: 33 Seconds: 15

Reading this thread: