Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Day 5--Kicking MY Butt

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep at it RonR! You and Ron, Ron, are the best. I wish you and Ron the very best.  In fact, Da Doo Ron Ron Ron Da Doo Ron Ron...

Patronick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 196
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,900
Amount Saved: $2,205.00
Life Gained:
Days: 36 Hrs: 11 Mins: 20 Seconds: 59

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
RonR,

Any rewards planned yet for your Hell Week celebrations?

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ron,
Just wanted to say after Hell week its a lot easier.  Just keep busy and pat yourself on the back.  Every minute that goes by and you arent smoking is a huge accomplishment!
Kasi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 29
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 580
Amount Saved: $123.25
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 15 Mins: 46 Seconds: 54

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ron Talking to your self are ya :) thats ok your just about done with  Hell week YIPPIE  Good Job that is a fact  have a great smokefree weekend :) Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2185
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,440
Amount Saved: $9,177.00
Life Gained:
Days: 312 Hrs: 8 Mins: 9 Seconds: 10

15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ronr,

Good to see you are doing better!

I found a site for you that has the nicotine & tar amounts for most brands.
If you type in "erowid tobacco vault" then scroll to the bottom
otherwise on google you can type in " tar nicotine level cigarettes" which should have the
erowid site. It is in alphabetical order.  This isn't where I originally found the info but it looks about the same. 
This might help you figure out the patch situation. 

If you are doing better with the lower dose patch or with taking it off at night then you have your answer already. 
Do whatever makes you feel better. Find your own level by how you feel!

Have a good one today!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 122
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,928
Amount Saved: $702.72
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 22 Mins: 20 Seconds: 8

15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your secret is safe with me--no one will ever know...

Thanks for the tip bro...

So you're thinking that as a 30 stick a day smoker of lights I need the 21mg for a bit? I just can't figure out if what I'm feeling is nicotine withdrawal or nicotine OD? What a bastard this thing is. I totally understood how to dose properly when a lighter was involved. ;-)

Funny stuff my friend; I'll have to secure my patch with duct tape before my crazy upcoming pimp weekend.

~R

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/26/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 180
Amount Saved: $30.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 21 Mins: 43 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't tell anyone what I 'm going to tell you but I used to work for the company that makes the nicotine patches. You can cut them in half and they still work but at 1/2 the dose.

Be sure you can cut down to the lower dose. You are smoking way over a pack a day and even in lights you may want to stick with a little higher dose then to go below. 15mg is someone smoking 10 cigarettes or less. It seems to me you are better with the higher dose but just use what you think is closest to your intake.

Also be careful in intimate situations. We had some emergencies where partners of ex smokers with patches went to emergency rooms late at night with heart palpitations and found later they had patches on their rear areas. It took some imagination how they got in those places on their partners (think positions?). A little humor can't hurt..

Ron

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 45
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 810
Amount Saved: $222.75
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 17 Mins: 12 Seconds: 43

HP and Karren,

I think you guys are dead on the money, and totally ROCK!!. The stress and tension I'm feeling isn't nicotine withdrawl, but nicotine OD. I too smoked lights and I think I'm taking in more pure nicotine now than I did as a smoker. I'll continue to remove the patch before bed and will switch to the 14mg level in the morning.

You two are so damn smart

At first I was really frustrated that I had spent so much money on the 21mg patches that I would never use. But you know what? Compared to a carton a week I've actually saved money.

Anyone out there need some 21mg patches? Seriously, I've got about 3 weeks worth and would be very happy to send them to any of you that could use them.

Ron

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 21 Mins: 24 Seconds: 28

Hey Ron,

Awesome photo--I bet that was hard to pull off as a smoker!

Thank you so much for your post. You are right on the money. I got really busy, and the quit was going OK, and I just completely forgot about all my preparation and the tasks I needed to follow through with. I was making it without a smoke so I think I just thought I could skip the hard work. Which I regret actually. Quitting is such a momentous moment in the life of a smoker. This is my chance to use that energy to ingrain good habits like regular exercise and following a healthy diet and eating habits.

Jim--as always you are the pragmatic voice of reason. Thanks for being in my corner, it helps a lot!

Patrick, Mike,Tresa, Josie, Sylvie and everybody thanks for the love and support. I'm getting close to closing out Hell Week and want to thank all of you. I wouldn't be here without you.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 21 Mins: 20 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hey Ron,
I look at my quit as evolving. When I first started I found it really helped to have substitutes and those helped me to get my mind off the cigarettes.  I incorporated some exercise and meditation and it helped to calm myself down.  I felt at the beginning that time was so slow and so going one day smoke free was forever for me. I created substitutes because I just didn't think I would survive the quit if I didn't incorporate new things. Later on after 2 weeks time I didn't find it was as important but I noticed that if I didn't exercise or meditate for 3 or 4 days (which happened when I got busy) I felt pretty lousy. I would get a lot of thoughts that were negative like I can't do this, or it's too hard, or feeling like quitting is horrible etc.  When I get back to doing the exercise I feel much better. So I just look at it as my helper in all of this. Yes it gets better because I'm not consumed with thinking about my quit like when I started but it honestly for me hasn't just disappeared either. I have a bad day at work that becomes a trigger and I have to relearn to change the picture of me jumping for the cig and replace it with thoughts of relax, breath in and breath out, you will be fine, tomorrow will be better etc. Dealing with life's little issues as we did before we started smoking.

I also think talking about it with others is a good way to vent frustrations and reconfirm your quit. This site does that and I do also go sometime to a nicotine anonymous group that meets 1 time a week for an hour.  All these things just give you better odds of keeping quit.  We all know we are vulnerable because we've smoked for too long and we've been smoking longer that being quit. So we have to stay determined and use all our resources to make it happen.

Your doing it and  what you are going through is pretty much what has happened to all of us in the first week.  It is kind of an appropriate name of HELL WEEK for a reason and why no one wants to repeat it over again. You almost done and Heck week for me was better.
 Ron

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 44
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 792
Amount Saved: $217.80
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 16 Mins: 44 Seconds: 36

Reading this thread: