Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Introduction

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jules,   Major congratulations on getting to Day 25 and for being such a supporter in here

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 140
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,500
Amount Saved: $1,575.00
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 1 Mins: 54 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nissala,

I read on the weekend promise where you said you are nervous about the weekend.  Here are some pointers...

Drink tons of ice water.  The ice helps for some reason.  I sucked on peppermint everytime I wanted to smoke.  I still carry peppermint with me.  Take tons of deep breaths.  When we smoked, we took a lot of deep breaths all the time.  Go for walks, exercise, and keep yourself busy.  It's ok to cry and its ok to be irrational.  You are quitting the worse addiction there is.  Four days is absolutely awesome!  That was the longest I have ever been quit prior to this quit.  You are well on your way.

Kick, scream, cry, break dishes, whatever it takes, just don't smoke.  Everyday is one day closer to never feeling this way again.  Hell week is almost over and you are going to love being smoke free!  I promise it is worth every bit of anquish you may be experiencing now.

Yell if you need help.  I'll try to check in from time to time on you.

Lady

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/1/2005
Smoke-Free Days: 1050
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,000
Amount Saved: $3,727.50
Life Gained:
Days: 97 Hrs: 5 Mins: 15 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you moss... its nice to have a place to come to where everyone understands because they have gone through or are going through the same things you are. its very nice....and I just have to say your stats look great!  :-) 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $17.16
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 4 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nissala

It looks like you are on the road now and that is a good thing to see.  I wish we could give you some solid answers to the questions that will twirl around your mind for the next while.  Everybody seems to have a lot of similarities in their experience but also some differences as well.  Whatever you do experience, know that others have been there and all you have to do is yell for help.  People will be along to lend a hand and an ear.  I have found that just the act of posting here when things got rough was therapeutic in itself.  And people here being able to relate to your emotions, however strange or painful, is just what one needs when the dragon comes knocking and won't let up on you.

You are right.  It is time to take a stand.  That sentence caught my eye because it is the thing I said to myself back in November.  It took me a while to be able to say it but remember that if you could zoom yourself a few months in to the future,  It gets better and the rewards begin to take shape in your life

Good Luck to you Nissala and Go Get Em.   Remember to Holler whenever you need to.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 179
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,685
Amount Saved: $604.13
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 20 Mins: 4 Seconds: 18

Ice chips do wonders, don't they?!  I've never been one to drink alot of water, tastes funny to me but I can eat ice chips all day!
Another way I am coping with the craves is I think of all that stuff going back into my body, and how my lungs were beginning to hurt from it being there and then I do some deeeeeep breathing until the craving passes. No, won't give up this time!  As you said Bonnie, Its not giving up anything, regaining control of ones life.  Patrick, there is less pain in my lungs now and breathing is a bit easier, thank you for asking. :-)

Have a wonderful day everyone!! 

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $17.16
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 10 Mins: 21 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nissala,  adding another warm Welcome.    Glad you have joined us..  Together we are strong.  we all have little "things" we use to cope or get thru a crave and are willing to share and help you too.

Don't think this quit is giving up something.. In reality  You are taking back control... of your life and your health....

You can picture the nicotine craving as... ( i picture it like a tazmanian devil with red eyes and stale tobacco smoke ...) you no longer have this little demon on your shoulder telling you when he wants nicotine..    Smoking is a choice... and I chose NO.

ice chips, cold water, mints...  and don't forget to reward yourself.. it doesn;t have to cost a lot.. can be a bite of chocolate, a nice bubble bath,  lighting a candle and setting down to enjoy it or some music.

the end of my first week, I bought a fun  refillable water bottle, and a magazine.   one night I cooked one of my favorite meals....

Every time you say NO to the junkie, it gets easier to say NO.. be on guard... that little junkie will pop up when you least expect it.. so be prepared.

Bonnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 96
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,632
Amount Saved: $326.40
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 17 Mins: 25 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are no rambles or rants in the Land of SSC, Nissala! 

Take the time and space to let it all hang out; we're listening and we get it very clearly... we're behind you (on your six, got your back).
   And, did every one know except me that the phrase "Balls to the Wall!" referred to the knobs on top of the two throttle sticks in an aircraft and the "wall" is the firewall in the cockpit?? I mean, I thought it was a much more vulgar notion... anyway we're balls to the wall waiting to help you through your tough spots, Nissala.

You're at day 3 and by tomorrow all the nicotine that has been circulating through your system will have dissipated to zero and you'll only be dealing with the psychological cravings.  For that we must focus on the quit and the fact that we're saving our lives when we don't smoke. This is not some game that we play five times a year to screw with our emotions: Bathe in warm water, drink iced water and remember that the cravings will pass momentarily. Take a walk around the building. Go to the john and do twenty standing press-ups off the edge of the handbasin! Deep breaths. Go to your secret cool place in your mind and let your Self curl up there until you're satisfied that you will Never never never never again take a puff of a cigarette; N.O.P.E.

Are you feeling that you have less pain in your lungs even now ??   Focus on that!

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 118
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,950
Amount Saved: $1,327.50
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 0 Mins: 17 Seconds: 9

Thanks again for the welcomes and helps! you guys are wonderful!

Kelly, the time I quit for 6 years, I did it cold turkey, I was younger and having my third child. I didn't smoke heavy then about 10 or so a day. It didn't seem that hard to quit back then, I just put them down.  For the past 20 years I've been smoking a pack or more a day sometimes during really stressful periods I would smoke 3 almost 4 packs a day (no, I wasn't sleeping well during those times either so it was pretty much a 24hour smoke break!).  Its been harder to quit. I tried the patches before, but didn't really follow through on them, I've been on wellbutrin (zyban) but it only helped for a little while. This time, I really, really, really want to quit!  I'm not getting any younger or healthier by continuing to smoke..when it got to the point my lungs hurt and I still wanted to smoke, I knew it was time for me to quit. Pretty much everyone who has passed in my family, died from some sort of cancer, heart disease or failure.  I don't want to go through that nor put my kids through it.  I have to make a stand and stop. Hopefully, by my quitting my daughter and son will also quit.....at least I am hoping. They are very supportive of my quit and are doing what they can to help.

sorry for the ramble.. 

nissala

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 60
Amount Saved: $12.87
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 8 Mins: 37 Seconds: 8

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Nissala, nice to have you here.  Seems to me you have much more under your belt than most of us do.  Six years, that is wonderful.  How did you do it that time?  How did you feel as a non smoker?  It must have been good otherwise you wouldn't want to quit again.  keep that in the back of your mind, you are already a winner, you just need to get back in the game.!!

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 160
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,800
Amount Saved: $600.00
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 1 Mins: 7 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nissala,

Welcome to our site, some of us consider it a life line to all the help you could want.
Read all the help materials as well as the posts.  I printed out some of the resource materials so I could sit back and read it carefully.  There is a workbook also, you may want to fill out and be able to refer back to throughout your quit. 
Don't forget to take time each day to fill in your daily diary too.  It helps to look back at that from time to time also.
You will do great and we will be here for you.
Congratulations and post often.

NOPE
Beckylynn

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/29/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 15
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 300
Amount Saved: $22.50
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 19 Mins: 24 Seconds: 34

Reading this thread: