Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,104 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PetiteMyth, Caroline16, Pisces83, BazzViol, TGee

I am a Chantix patient

17 years ago 0 533 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amnesia1212, Thank you so much for letting me know I'm not alone...I have been trying to post to others in the mean time and give them support...You know what I feel really good today....I don't even have that foggy feeling anymore...I am able to take walks and not get out of breathe....well, hubby hasn't complained lately so I must be doing better! HEHE! It sure feels great when he is the only one going out to have a smoke! I was wondering....I've been get really sick to my stomach when I smell smoke...is that normal? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LoLo, You did it girl! You got through that temptation even if it meant smoking a little and getting sick. You didn't light up another one. I know how you feel in the hubby department. My husband is a smoker and plans to quit after I do. My first three days were miserable for me and torture for him and the kids because I wasn't myself. I was dazed and confused. His patience and understanding ran out about day 2. He started getting insecure that my feelings were changing in our relationship even. I wish there was a way to go somewhere for the time it takes to quit and dry out. I wish it could be understood that nicotine is just as addictive and bad as alcohol, cocaine, and heroine. But, it seems that people are not as sympathetic to someone trying to quit smoking in our society. They look at us like it is all in our heads and we should be able to control ourselves. But, let me share with you what I have found through research. When you smoke the nicotine goes to the "pleasure center of the brain." This pleasure center gives us a feeling of satisfaction from cravings from cigarettes, food, sex, and other pleasurable experiences. When we smoke a cigarette this center produces large amounts of dopamine (a neurotransmitter that affects mood and coordination). Too much dopamine has been found to be the cause of schizophrenia, too little dopamine results in Parkinson's Disease. This is how important this neurotransmitter is to our lives. So, when one has smoked for 20 years and has gotten used to having that extra dopamine in our systems that has affected our personality and mood all these years, it's not just the nicotine withdrawals, it is adjusting to a normal level of dopamine and getting to know ourselves drug-free. It takes around a month for our brains to adjust to the new dopamine levels. And, Chantix helps us adjust to those levels, but doesn't stop the withdrawals completely. So, all drug addicts withdrawing from drugs have to deal with dopamine depletion or acceleration depending on what drug they were using. It's not all in your head sweetheart. Just remember that even if your closest relations don't understand what is going on with you physically, psychologically, and emotionally you can still get through it. I am preparing to go through m
I guess everyone gets busy during the weekend and doesn't relpy much...WELL, anyway, I am doing good....I think about having one and then I do self talk....I stopped the pennies cause the cravings aren't as bad now...Usually it is just a thought and then I take a deep breathe....Plus, I say I have gone ___now 5____ days without smoking...I am a non smoker now....Plus, I have to admit...My mother is also part of my self talk...She smoked just about all her life and now she has been a non smoker for the past two years...I want to show her also....that I can do this....that I will do this....talk to ya all soon.... ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 108 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lolo, If you're experiencing side effects from your medication, please consult your pharmacist. Your dose may need to be further tailored to suit your needs. With regards to irritability and mood swings, it's completely normal and likely has nothing to do with your medication but more so to your quit. As a smoker, when nicotine reached your brain, it stimulated a chemical reaction that released chemicals in your brain responsible for good mood. Now that you've quit, you're mood may fall flat. Combine this with withdrawals from other toxins nicotine introduced and no wonder you're cranky. If anything, your medication is helping with your mood as it is stimulating the same reaction nicotine did in your brain. You can further help lift your mood by rewarding yourself frequently for staying smoke free with things you love. Remember, this medication is just an aid. You'll still have to work to keep your quit. Your husband and yourself may also benefit from going through our quit program. It's a great ressource that can teach you about withdrawals so you're both better prepared and aware of what is to come. Hang in there. We are cheering you on! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
Ok---Here I go....I wasn't sure if I wanted to come here today or not...(DEEP BREATH)...Last night I found out how much I was an addict..an addicit to nicotine...I guess it never really sank in that cigs are a drug. That you become addicited to it...My spouse feels as though this meciine is making me miserable and therefore I am making my spouse miserable...I know in my own heart that it isn't the medicine....cause I finally realized that I would just use a smoke to get through the "Situation"..Don't get me wrong I love my spouse with all my heart....it is just that I never realzied how much I usually just keep things to myself and just have a smoke to make it better..I used a smoke to lose weight...I used a smoke to wake up...I used a smoke to calm down...I am a nicotine addit!> Well, anyway I guess that my spouse (Which is also a smoker) doesn't realize how addicitng smoking is..."If you really want to quit you should be able to do it without and drugs"----THIKING to myself----A heroine or cocaine addict get help from withdrawl..an acoholic can go to a rehab for help...Why can't someone addited to nicotine get help...Any way...I want to show him that it's not the medicine that is making me--make him miserable for the past four days(I haven't smoked for 4 days Hum?)......You know last night I figured what the heck...Just go and have a smoke...That is what it almost seemed like I was supposed to do..So I did...As I was sitting there trying to enjoy it I realized that none of the nicotine is probably even getting to my brain cause of the medicine that I have in my system any how...Then a few minutes later...I got sick...HA! Good for me! Just shows that a a full 4 days of not smoking my body said YUCK! Anyway...It was my spouse's idea to email my support...so I guess you can say here I am....Has anyone else gone through anything like this? I don't want to make him miserable but I REALLY do want to quit...I won't take the medicine just in case it has made me moody...Plus---yesterday was my first dose of the 2 mg. and I kept wakiing up all night long from dreaming or maybe just from the medicine..Help....I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 89 [B]
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so proud of you! I'm also a Chantix user. I have been a nicotine addict since I was 19 and I am 41 now. I have only been smoke-free for maybe 3 of those years when I was pregnant and when the kids were infants. I think it's cute that some of our friends suggested sudoku. I bought a sudoku book and tried to do them while going through my first day on Chantix. Needless to say, I couldn't even concentrate long enough to count to 9. For some reason, I went through full nicotine withdrawal my first 3 days. I am not craving cigs anymore. I still smoke out of habit, but about a third of what I used to. My quit day is this Monday. And, I am gearing up for Sunday's cleaning house, car, closet, everything day to get rid of any temptations. Good luck you are doing so well!!!
17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are exactly right about the first week your going through withdrawal while still smoking. I was so tired by the 4th and 5th day i could hardly stay awake. I felt like a zombie. I had no clue if i was still a smoker or a non-smoker to be. I just didn't feel like me. Since I've quit i just feel so much better even though i do have cravings. Not physical ones~ chantix handles that but mental cravings. 30 yrs of a habit it's hard to break. I have to stop and say to myself sometimes when i reach for my ciggy case automatically (which by the way is thrown out) that i don't smoke anymore. I also like to tell myself that Smoking is NOT an option. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Janpo1: In re: feeling worse the first week while smoking than you do after you quit, that's because you go through the nicotine withdrawal while you are smoking! Pretty freaky, isn't it? I didn't recognize it until after the fact and when I was looking around on days 1, 2, 3 of no cigarettes wondering when the shoe was going to fall. It was only then that I fully realized it had already fallen and *that's* why I was a crying, irrational, irritable, crazy thing during days 4, 5, 6 of the drug. Chantix is the answer to all those years of saying "I could quit smoking, if only I could smoke while I was doing it!" :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,774 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $400 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$222,109.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6027 Hours: 15

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Also a chantix user here also and 5 day into my quit! I felt worse the first week on chantix when i was smoking than i do now. 30 yrs smoking ~ this is amazing!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
Lou P Lou, Good work! I know what you mean about the oxygen tank...I always have been the type to get asthmatic/bronchitis and the doc has always told me that if I don't quit I will be using a tank....I REFUSE to live life that way...I am making a decision right now so that I may insure my future....Keep in touch and again GOOD WORK! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 72 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53

Reading this thread: