Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

New - well not really

17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is only a smoker's logic in that. But that is normal too. We are all going through the same feelings of guilt, shame, anger, etc.....even if what brought us to this spot was different. But we can do it together. Some of my reason's for quitting........... So that I am not responsible for killing the people I love. So that my daughter's can see that we ARE able to do anything we put our hearts and minds too. To DO what I believe, not just SAY it. We can all see this addiction is killing us and the people we love and we can beat it. Stay strong and know that we are all here for you. No one is alone in this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 186 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow. I have heard about the Allen Carr book.. Heard if was wonderful. I am in the same boat as you and hoping that this is the final quit. This time I have armed myself with NRt gum for emergencies only, cinnamin cany, lots of water, sites for information and support like this one. what is your plan this time around.. remember, if we don't do something different this time, we will get the same results.
17 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Peterpan I have the same feelings you do. I quit for 20 days and started back up. It is so hard. It's a struggle every minute it seems. I just lost a friend to lung cancer and he quit smoking 20 years ago. My thinking is why did he quit if it killed him anyway? I know thats the wrong way to think but thats where my mind is right now. Sometimes it so hard to understand if I want to smoke or if I don't won't to smoke. I haven't lit up yet but today is a very hard day for me. :confuse: Good luck to you,Terri
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PeterPan, You have the same feelings I have had. When you said, "I want to quit but I want to smoke"....that's what I felt. I guess that's what I thought I felt. The fact is, the rational part of me WANTS to quit with everything I have while the ADDICT in me wants the next fix. I mean, the addict in me wants that fix real, real bad. The addict in me would love to smoke a cigarette as long as my left leg right now. But, the rational part of me is screaming, "I want to live, this is my life, my quit, I want to see my children have children, I don't want my family worrying about my health anymore, I don't want to worry about my health anymore, I don't want my hair and clothes to stink of stale smoke, I don't my breath to stink to the point where my own dog will put his nose to my mouth and look at me as if to say, "What the hell have you been eating, girl?," I'm tired of feeling like the outcast because smokers ARE outcast now, I'm tired of feeling embarrassed by my smoking,and I'm really tired of making plans and decisions around my smoking habit. That's just some of my list. Maybe if you make your own list, it'll help and focus on that list. I know exactly how you feel. I thought the same thing until the folks on the site led me to see the light. There's a huge difference between wanting to smoke and the ADDICT wanting a fix. I realized that the rational part of me didn't want to smoke at all. That part of me wanted to kick the habit once and for all. What I had to do is decide who I was going to listen to....the rational part of myself who cares about my health and the health of others or the addict in me that just lives for the next fix. I went with the rational part of myself. I'm not saying it's easy. It's damn hard. Quitting sure isn't for sissies. I'm finishing up Day 4 of my Quit and yesterday was horrible. Today was better. I'm sure it'll be that way for quite some time but I want to keep plugging away. Just know we all know how you feel. When you quit smoking, it is a life changing event. But it's something I know you can do and we're all hear to help, listen, and support you. Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 264 [B]A
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi PeterPan, Pulled this old poem out of a file. Every once in awhile I need to look at. Faith If you think you are beaten, you are. If you think you dare not, you don't. If you like to win, but think you can't, It's almost certain you won't. If you think you'll lose, you're lost, for out in the world we find, Success begins with a fellows will. It's all in the state of mind. If you think you are out-classed, you are. You've got to think high to rise. You've got to be sure of yourself, before You can ever win the prize. Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, But soon...or late the man who wins Is the Man WHO THINKS HE CAN! (Author Unknown) When times get tough for me...I use my faith to help. Welcome back, We have a lot of new comers (myself included)and I believe you can do it this time. Do some reading in the postings and get to know us. Share with us PeterPan and do not be afraid. auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,613 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $247 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Three days is a great start. Let's keep it comming. Hey! I've got an idea - how about breaking that cycle. Really, I like to think of it as a roller coast, as opposed to a cycle. In a cycle you wind up at the beginning at some point. Ok, on a roller coast you do too. How about a hilly terrain road, one where you don't wind up at the beginning. And since we're taking orders - how about each valley gets more shallow with each progression until it's all uphill. Uphill in this case would be a good thing - like moving up. Anyway, Welcome. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 54 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 548 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Peter! So taking a left at the second star didn't work? It hate it when that happens, don't you? Tell you what: we'll all close our eyes, tell you how much we believe in you, and clap our hands real loud. That should do it... The thing is, we do want you to grow up and enjoy your entire life. We're all here to help you, and we believe in you! peteg (Never quite made it to Panhood.) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 115 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,769 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $632.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome back peterpan don't beat yourself up over this get back on t he wagon you can do this we are here for you lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 121 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,816 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �484 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
  • Quit Meter

$113,515.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6490 Hours: 11

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Come ON guys. The want to be a non-smoker has to be stronger than the wish to smoke. That's ALL it is. Have you got that? read it again. List every single reason you originally had for stopping/ have any of them miraculously gone away? Changed? Been oversome? Then come ON. THE ONLY way to be a non smoker, the only way not to fail this time, is to just STOP. My stop smoking counsellor says smokers kill the connection (synapses?) bit in the brain that lets us know just how awful smoking is. The taste, the cost, the devastation caused to smoker and to their families. We've killed those bits in our brains. They will NEVER grow back. THAT'S why we can watch loved ones gasp their last and still smoke. THAT'S why we must never, ever light up again. You light up just one time, and your brain re-learns the conncetion your body now has for the nicotnie drug. You refuse to light up and every single time you do, you are making that urge subside; you are persuading your brain to forget the hold the drug has on you. Stay strong. "Do or do not. There is no try". "We give up what we want most, for what we want right now". Simple - what do you REALLY want most? S [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,608 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �444 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey!! You NEVER fail!!! Not ever! Each time you lose a quit - you will learn something. You will remember all these things and that will make THIS quit the most successsful one. I have stopped and started but ---- i recall a slogan on here (I think from Butterfly Swimmer) and it said It is better to be a non smoker with an occasional desire to smoke. Than it is to be a smoker - with a consistent desire to quit (or something like that). That got me through today. Looks like we quit the same day.. I am on day 4 today. I know how tiring it can get but you have to be realistic - accept that you will always be addicted. When people told me that they could still murder a cigarette even after 23 years quit. I thought well whats the point? It gave me the perfect excuse to continue smoking... after all if i was always going to be craving a cigarette why bother. Go on holiday - cigarettes are cheap here. i will smoke for the holiday. Then when I get back home to UK i wont smoke anymore. I can smoke just for the weekend, then quit again on a MOnday. I can switch to lights - thats not smoking. I cant do X without smoking - i will just smoke for this event. Nows not the right time. ALl these and many more have lost me quits. To be honest i have got better at it. My first serious quit was in 2002 - I think I had been smoking consistently for 19 years before that. By the time i decided to try i was up to between 20, 30, 40 a day - depending on whether i was working. It was nothing for me to get up and smoke ten before getting to work. I dont know where you are, but I am in UK. Over here you cant smoke anywhere anymore. Those places that you can still smoke - you feel a bit of a lepor. In July it will be banned in pretty much everywhere including pubs. You are in good company.. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55

Reading this thread: