Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Newbie here

17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit as a New Year's gift to myself. Started out with a Step 2 patch, moved to Step 3 and now use no patch at all. No cheats so far. A little weight gain, and sleep a lot more. Every day seems easier, except for driving. If I'm going to slip, it will be because of a 4.5 hour drive to see friends "up north".
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All! Thanks for the support and words of encouragement! I know the driving will be/already is a test of my inner strength. I work for a local vet and drive to different clinic sites a couple of times a week. Most of the time, I'm OK with the drive, but when I get an urge to smoke, I turn up the tunes and crack the window open. Always have coffee or some type of drink with me, so that occupies my fidgety nature, too. NOT going to visit my friends up north is NOT an option. I do computer/fax/phone/contract work for two of those friends, so when they need me, I'll be traveling up there. I'll just deal with not smoking and enjoy the drive!! :) Thanks again for all the support and thanks, MM, for telling me about this site! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 857 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Lizzie's Mom! We can do this!! I think we found some good support on this site!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $81 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, LM! I know what you're saying about the driving thing, that was a tough one for me, too. I've ALWAYS smoked when I drove - since I was 16 - so literally ALWAYS. Don't let that "if" creep in and make itself at home! There is no IF! You are NOT going to slip! You'll be successful! :) PS I quit as a New Year's gift to myself, too! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,258 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $123 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lizzie's mom I drive about a 900 miles a week doing my job and I understand your concern...I put a case of bottled water on the back seat and just keep knocking them back when I feel an urge...I can't tell you the physiology of how this works, but water is 1 of your best friends when it comes to beating a crave... nonic
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Lizzie's Mom, aunt deb here... 56 yr-old grandma, cold-turkey quitter for 10 years, started back during early 40's and menopause. Quit this time using Chantix, new rx for smokers recommended by my daughter...NIKNAK Read my dear friend, read...sign up using the tools on the left and keep posting as you journey through this trip to freedom. This is the best site you could have found for support and I would venture to say, probably better than any shrinks couch. auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,096 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $194.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Helo lizzies mom. Drove to Michigan during my first month of my quit. Blasted the tunes, kept opening and closing the window and sucked on water for 5 hours. Time passed and I got through it. You will to. I kept on teling myself that I made it this far, lets go another 20 miles. I also kept telling myself I dont smoke no more! And low and behold, I made it. Jaset [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,739 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $473 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was always amazed that driving without smoking didn't bother me more than it did -- one never knows how one's individual quit is going to unfold, does one? My observation is that you have two choices: don't visit the friends up north for a while, or invent a new "normal" for road trips, which are always great fun and worth doing. New "normals" are so much fun to create because the possibilties are endless and you can finally do and be anyone you have a mind to be. I am thrilled to welcome you to these discussion boards as a person who has chosen to be a nonsmoker. We value and honor your choice. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,248 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $572 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lizzie, Congratulations on quitting smoking, I get very excited when I see someone new post. Stay with us and if you have a need all you have to do is post. Look forward to getting to know you. :) Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 401 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,830 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1403.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$230,196.94

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6404 Hours: 5

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lizzie, Welcome and congrats on quitting. Make sure you prepare for that journey and you will fair well. Have coping mechanisms ready and if you are not the driver, maybe you could sleep some of the way! We are here to help and assist you so let us guide you! You have one month plus of this quit right? This is great, so make sure you reward yourself and keep the quit! Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: